If you're reading this, we've just migrated servers! If anything looks broken please email dion@thinkmoult.com :)

Creating an IfcProjectLibrary from an existing IFC

Would it be useful if you could recycle IfcWallType, IfcSlabType, IfcBeamType, IfcWindowType, IfcDoorType etc. from existing IFC files? With an option to clear the IFC elements of all the existing properties/materials/classifications, or also save them with it. Probably not all exisitng IFC are useful for this. Or maybe there is already a workflow for this I'm not aware off?

With the BlenderBIM add-on you could visualize the IfcProjectLibrary in an organized manner,

Tagged:
Ace

Comments

• Where can I find in the revamped UI to save an IfcProjectLibrary?

• IfcProjectLibrary is a heirarchical container for organising Objects (including Type definitions) inside an IFC file,l. As far as I know it isn't exposed in BlenderBIM yet, though it will be useful for big projects.

When you load a library in BlenderBIM, you are browsing and importing Types etc.. from any IFC file (regardless of whether is has any IfcProjectLibrary structure). If you then save your project it can be used as a library in turn.

Coen
  • @brunopostle

I see, that was easy. I have a vague memory there was a possibility to save IfcProjectLibrary in a previous version of BlenderBIM.

It is possible to import everything at once?, I have to click through the menu to import the material, profile and type for the beam I need.

• I see, that was easy. I have a vague memory there was a possibility to save IfcProjectLibrary in a previous version of BlenderBIM.

Not sure that there is some direct way to do it now. What are the benefits of having it as a library instead of a project though?

It is possible to import everything at once?, I have to click through the menu to import the material, profile and type for the beam I need.

You can just append the types you need - it will also append the related profiles and materials.

Coen
  • IfcProjectLibrary> @Andrej730 said:

Not sure that there is some direct way to do it now. What are the benefits of having it as a library instead of a project though?

It would be useful to expose any IfcProjectLibrary structures when importing from a library file, eg. A steel category with CHS, RHS, UC etc.. sub-categories would help when there are thousands of steel sections