What is the correct way to define a split level house ?

edited May 2023 in General

I'm modeling a split level building where I have a few steps separating one semi-level from the other one, but they're both at the same global level. The documentation states

What would be the best way to do it ? I didn't understand the practical way to do it. Do I define each substorey as PARTIAL ? but then how do I tell which general storey they're part of ? Is it possible to do it in the BlenderBIM addon ? Can an IFCStorey contain other partial IFCStoreys ?

Cheers

Comments

• Yes, an IfcBuildingStorey can aggregate other IfcBuildingStoreys inside it. The parts are defined as PARTIAL. You can add the child storeys just like any other IfcBuildingStorey (either by adding an empty and assigning it, manually changing the IFC Aggregate settings in the panel, or duplicating existing then reaggregating it, etc).

Note to self: @SigmaDimensions suggested this a while ago and at first I didn't think it was a great idea but the more I think about it the more I think he was correct and we really need a "Building" space manager which is tailored towards building spatial decomposition management (adding storeys, spaces, setting elevations, etc).

CoenAceSigmaDimensions
  • edited May 2023

Oh okay, thank you ! that was very simple indeed. For reference here are the steps I took :
    1. Duplicate the main storey object with SHIFT + D in the 3D viewport. The outliner updates to put the new object in a new Storey collection
    2. Set the sub-storey to PARTIAL
    3. Change the aggregate "parent" (what's the correct term ?) to the main IfcBuildingStorey element.

I noticed sub-storeys can aggregate other sub-storeys which is nice.

A building manager would be nice, I think it will be a bit hard to accommodate it to Blender's UI though. Maybe a node based solution would make sense ?

CoenAce