Section plans in Blender

MaxMax
edited July 2023 in General

I have used Blender over a year but I am still trying to figure out very basic things like viewing floor plans and making sections. Until now I have used Temporary Section Cutaways but I find the result lacking and they do not work in solid mode where I usually work. I have also tried to use plan drawings but they cause me a lot of problems.

Today I tried to use Clipping region (Alt+b) and that worked surprisingly well. Also the cursor snaps to the visible floor height and that helps me a lot since I have not found a good way to measure things in blender without plugins.

Tagged:

Comments

• I think your answers are here:

bitacovir
  • edited July 2023

I have also tried to use plan drawings but they cause me a lot of problems

This is the way i would do it.

If you have an IFC that's changing a lot, from a 3rd party, I would create a new IFC with all these plans/sections in it, and then just reference the other main IFC file into it.

CoenAce

• this tool doesn't work well for you?

• My best guess is a need for some tool like function from solibri. Easy to make a view cut by clicking on a surface and hold ALT to change the depth of the cut. For measuring you select between length, horisontal and vertical length where it snaps to lines online measure or from face to face, or line to face. Personally I can not say I have tried the tools you have suggested, though my expectations are rather small that the build in tools is not good enough.

• @Ole_Marius_Svendsen this is pretty critical feedback. UX polish is one of the big differentiators between proprietary apps who rely on sales and getting one feature right versus FOSS apps who typically get things "mostly working enough for the nerds to work it out" then spread themselves thing. Would you mind filing a bug on Github with a bit more elaboration (I think I'm familiar with the behaviour you're describing, but still good to flesh it out more for a Blender context)?

• @Moult I would be more than happy to do so. I will try to take time soon for it, though in advance apologize if that will come late. I moved to a new country yesterday so alot of private admin has and will take a bit of my focus.
    I hope that these functionalities I'm referring to is not to hard to code in. I'm well aware by asking for them is a hard task

Moult
  • @Moult ive taken finaly time to make this feedback in Github:
    https://github.com/IfcOpenShell/IfcOpenShell/issues/3408

If my inquiry is unclear, i am happy to take time to do a videocall to showcase the feature i have mentioned.

bitacovir