How to stop annotations from being masked by the camera?

When I generate a sheet svg the drawings and annotations get clipped at the camera extents. My expectation is that the drawings should get clipped to the camera, but that the annotations should not get clipped at all. From my experience, it is pretty common to annotate and dimension outside the drawing extent.

I tried playing around with the SVG (not an Inskape guru), but it seems that each individual object has a mask rather than all the annotations sharing a grouped mask.

Does anyone know if there is a non-destructive way to stop the annotations from being masked by the camera?

theoryshawbruno_perdigao

Comments

• Related issue ? https://github.com/IfcOpenShell/IfcOpenShell/issues/3417
    Solution might be to instantiate annotation at local camera Z + epsilon so that it's far enough to not be cut by the near plane clip but not too far so it's not drawn under other objects ?

• timtim
    edited July 2023

I don't think it's a related issue. The issue I am describing only relates to generating a svg, where all objects get masked by the extent of the camera, irrespective of whether they are building elements or annotations. I suspect the same function is being used to generate both. I think they should be treated differently, where building elements should get masked by the extent of the camera and annotations should not.

theoryshaw
  • I would also find it helpful, for post-processing, if the groups in the svg file were specifically named (for example)

Ace
  • To answer my original question, the solution I found in Inkscape was:
    1. identify the drawing and annotation group in the Layers and Objects side menu
    2. right click and Release Clip on the group
    3. Select both the released rectangle clip and the drawing group only
    4. right click and Set Clip

theoryshaw
  • Could you add a screenshot of a before after ? I still have a bit of trouble figuring the problem

• Hmm you're right, but I'm not sure what's the best way to deal with this:

1. Drawing boundaries = annotation boundaries, so if you want "white background" you'll need to put a fill area.
    2. Drawing boundaries != annotation boundaries, so ... annotation boundaries are calculated on the fly when adding on a sheet? And can overflow indefinitely? And if the annotation boundaries change, the drawing position on the sheet is locked so the annotation boundaries need to keep on moving every time you shift an annotation? (sounds expensive)
  • Dumb question, what if there was no annotation boundaries at all?

• @theoryshaw not a dumb question, in fact by default when you place it on a sheet there is no boundary like the behaviour prior to this bug: https://github.com/IfcOpenShell/IfcOpenShell/issues/2442

However the downside of having no boundary is that what you see in a drawing SVG (at least in a browser) won't match what you see in a sheet SVG which has space to show the "overflow". This is a "huh?" moment for the user which led to bug 2442.

• makes sense.

Drawing boundaries = annotation boundaries, so if you want "white background" you'll need to put a fill area.

I dig that approach.

• edited July 2023

... perhaps this fill area, could have an affect on the extent of sections and level tag extents, as well.

• @theoryshaw said:
    ... perhaps this fill area, could have an affect on the extent of sections and level tag extents, as well.

That is, if they haven't been manually modified already by the user.

• Could you add a screenshot of a before after ? I still have a bit of trouble figuring the problem

Here is my workflow.

I am perhaps conflating a few things here - the renaming is a nice to have that helps with understanding what each group is.

I confess I don't quite follow the issue with having the annotations without any clipping. My files appear viewable in the browser and doesn't the whole sheet have a white background anyway?

In addition, while preparing the screenshot I noticed that the camera is not clipping the bottom of the drawing as expected. I think this is different since the last release. It seems that the boundary is extending down to the drawing title.

Darth_BlenderGorgious