Overview of keyboard shortcuts for the BlenderBIM add-on

edited September 2023 in General

I could not find any overview of the keyboard shortcuts available in BlenderBIM. But I've collected several keyboard shortcuts I thought it's useful. I thought it would be nice idea if users could add more keyboard shortcuts to this list to get a complete one.

Here's a small start.:

Blender
* ctrl + i -> invert selection

BlenderBIM
* you can hit Ctrl + P to aggregate your selected objects to the active object ( similar to blender object parenting),
* Alt + P to remove an aggregate ( no need to select parent here)
* Shift + A is add Object

Feel free to add more.

EDIT:
There is a wiki page now

https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=BlenderBIM_Add-on/Shortcuts

Andrej730MassimoNigelAceRoel

Comments

• sounds like a great wiki page. :)

Andrej730
  • edited September 2023

@Coen this is very useful, also better in a wiki page
    Blender:
    * Shift + s -> cursor snap menu
    * Shift + tab -> toggle snap
    BlenderBim
    * Shift + q -> calculate all quantities

• It would be cool to have a "cheat sheet" like vim, emacs, etc ... :-)

Nigel
  • I think the shortcuts are the same as vanilla Blender. Any additional hotkeys are purely used in the tools, and the tools show you what the shortcuts are in the N panel.

Coen
  • @Moult yeah indeed that a list of hotkeys would be redundant for tool commands, but i think that it would be helpful also for other cases, for example like these:

• new BBim users that have never use Blender: in this case, a list of hotkeys would help them to know useful hotkeys for architectural and engineering workflow (a sort of "10 blender hotkeys you should know to use BBim")
    • BBim non tool commands: for example for aggregate functions but also for other commands that are not in the tool panel or more in general the more important hotkeys (ctrl+s, ctrl+o, etc ...)
    NigelCoenMoult
  • Shortcuts are often context sensitive, let me summarise the ones above with context:

BlenderBIM:

When you have any active BIM Tool:
    1. Ctrl + P: to aggregate your selected objects to the active object ( similar to blender object parenting),
    2. Alt + P: to remove an aggregate ( no need to select parent here)
    3. Shift + Q: Calculate all quantities, of all selected objects.
    4. Shift + A: Add the active construction type shown in the Type Manager.

When you don't have an active Tool:
    1. Shift E: Pie menu containing BlenderBIM quick functions ( this may need some clean up though at the moment ping @Moult )

• Perhaps "Calculcate Quantities" and "Aggregation" should be available without having an active BIM Tool

• edited September 2023

@SigmaDimensions yes, i updated the wiki page specifying the context ... it can be improved, but at the moment is something :-)
    I think also that if there are update, only the Wiki page should be updated, not this thread so there is only one list to look at.. what do you think?

• @Massimo haha I didn't see the wiki page, I read in diagonal

Massimo
  • After this starts to mature a bit, it would be nice to update the official docs with this.

MassimoCoen