Need for a angled wall merge function

edited November 2023 in General

Evening. I would like to describe the need for slanted wall functionality in this post. I will describe what i have done, and hopefully it points out the need for this functionality.

I am trying to add a slanted wall between two known lengths by two separate walls, which i know the lengths. However, there are no quick tools for this.

I therefore added a new wall which i am to manipulate with snapping features of line (or vertex point).

When i manually do adjust a wall, it will look somewhat like this:

When now assigning a door, the entire geometry of the wall is forced to its default starting position.

Upon further investigation, if i rather adjust the wall with the blender rotate function, and thus rotate it a bit:

And now add a door, it is successful and does not result in the same error as shown previously.

I would like to know if it could be a potential feature to add a slanted wall between two "master walls". As i can see, it is an irritational editing needed to make the slated wall with the rotate function work. To do this, i would recon i know the slanted walls exact lenght beforehand to easly snap it, however if i want a Mitre cut on the edge, i cannot do this as it then mean i have to adjust the edges with blenders edit functionality.

Comments

• Hi.
    First of all, I don't think "slanted" is the correct term here? As far as I can tell fro the screenshots, your walls are vertical, slanted is used for walls which are sloped (like a roof).
    If I'm correct, rotating the last wall is the correct way to go, and the only question is, how to snap easily. You can either get the cad transform addon, or Blender 4 - both offer the option to rotate with basepoint.

• Hi @Ole_Marius_Svendsen
    when you add the diagonal wall you can do as follows (at least it works for me):
    1. you have the wall set to close

2. place the 3D cursor at the corner, make sure you have toggled snap at Vertex and the Rotate at the bottom of the panel , to facilitate the snapping you can use the Shift + RMB or mouse right click

1. from the top bar set the pivot point to the 3D cursor (press numpad7 for top view)

1. select the wall to rotate, pressing R you should be able to target the opposite outer wall corner (yellow circle)

1. after the wall is rotated place the 3D cursor at the target corner

1. with the wall to extend selected, and the 3D cursor placed at the target corner, press Shift + E to close the rotated wall to destination

1. finally you can add the door :D

in case you already knew the procedure I hope it could be useful to others like me struggling along the Blender steep learning curve

JanFbruno_perdigao
  • @JanF said:
    Hi.
    First of all, I don't think "slanted" is the correct term here?

Hi Jan, apologize, i do belive you are correct. i Should have written Angled wall. I dont belive i can edit the headliner title as i am past the 1 hour limit.

@steverugi said:
    Hi @Ole_Marius_Svendsen
    when you add the diagonal wall you can do as follows (at least it works for me):

Thank you Steve, this did indeed help and work! :)

steverugi