BBIM - plumbing fittings Tee and Manifold

I wanted to start using IfcPipeFittingType and IfcPipeSegmentType to sketch a simple plumbing system for a bathroom, no problem with laying pipes and bends but how can I make a tee fitting? or a manifold?
I noticed buttons to add transition and obstruction but no junction
Do I have to create a mesh myself?
Anybody who knows where can I find some info on this topic ?
thanks in advance for your help

Tagged:
rfdiaz

Comments

• Hi @Gorgious
    thanks for your link, I'd guess we are not yet at the stage where we can functionally have tees and manifolds, hopefully soon
    cheers

• Hi, I did some MEP.
    T-Joints types I´ve created with the integrated Blender add-on "add mesh:extra objekts". After activating the add-on you can create joints in the "Addmesh-menue" (SHIFT+A Mesh/PipeJoints) after creating the mesh I´ve used the solidify modifier and apply it. (Set the Origin in the Center of a end)
    Bends90°/45°: There I´ve used the integrated Blender add-on "add curve:extra objekts". (SHIFT+A Curve/Arc). Set the radius of the bow adjust the endcontrollpoints and use the DataTab (Curve) - Geometry - Depth. (Shape:3D FillMode:Full Geometry:outer radius). Toggle with TAB in the ObjectMode-Right MouseButton: "Convert to Mesh" After that use the solidify Modifier (If the offset is in the false direction: Toggle with TAB to editmode: select all faces/points/edges open the meshTAB-normals-recalculateOutside) Set the Origin.
    Pipes: use the "pipetype-creator" edit the Profiles.
    You can take a look at my testresult (ziped .ifc)

John
  • hi @stefanm2

Hi, I did some MEP.
    T-Joints types I´ve created with the integrated Blender add-on "add mesh:extra objekts". After activating the add-on you can create joints in the "Addmesh-menue" (SHIFT+A Mesh/PipeJoints) after creating the mesh I´ve used the solidify modifier and apply it. (Set the Origin in the Center of a end)
    You can take a look at my testresult (ziped .ifc)

sure, thanks for your input, nice model
    I kind of figured it out the modelling part somehow, I was interested in leveraging on the "logical" part of BBim's MEP where segments and fittings use ports to manage a flow control, seems there were some updates recently but without supporting info I don't know how to implement it in an ordinary plumbing system as you would do in Revit for instance (I don't know much about it, more than having watched some videos on the topic)
    cheers

• edited April 21

Maybe this omniverse addon, or the named OSsoftware helps https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/on-demand/session/gtcspring21-e31976/ but I'm not an expert, I'm doing drawing and modeling :)

steverugi
  • Nice link @stefanm2 ! I've done a little bit of CFD using Autodesk CFD (apologies for swearing!) - here's one that I worked on for a water feature in Hong Kong:
    I'm still waiting to see if BBIM will allow us to create MEP fittings and ports with Geo Nodes. I understand that Sverchok is better for linking with BBIM, but the future development of Geo Nodes within Blender looks more assured.

• Imao the context, why and in wich case/way models and data are used, defines also the way of creating models/data, shemes, drawings. If the models getting refined (together) Owner, architect, constructor... There will be a digital twin at the end (of the construction) that can be used e.g. in smart building control, planning, simulation, FM, also destruction... In reality at the moment it's a little bit Utopia. (So one the one hand I like procedural creating, on the other I like individual processes and creating)

Bedson
  • edited April 23

I thought I'd have a look at how Revit would size your Tee. It appears that Autodesk are linking to Energy Plus. Energy Plus is a free to use program. There is also another free program called Open Studio which is a graphical interface for using Energy Plus. I intend to look further into this but I see no reason why BlenderBIM couldn't also work with these free programs to size pipe networks. Has anyone else looked further into Energy Plus and Open Studio since I have only found them today? Open Studio is supposed to be compatible with IFC.
    Link to overview of Open Studio

stefanm2
  • @Bedson

I thought I'd have a look at how Revit would size your Tee. It appears that Autodesk are linking to Energy Plus. Energy Plus is a free to use program. There is also another free program called Open Studio which is a graphical interface for using Energy Plus. I intend to look further into this but I see no reason why BlenderBIM couldn't also work with these free programs to size pipe networks. Has anyone else looked further into Energy Plus and Open Studio since I have only found them today? Open Studio is supposed to be compatible with IFC.

nice one, thanks

at the moment I'd be happy to understand how to connect fittings, valves, and pipe segments (sanitary plumbing, not HVAC) to functionally connect source to sanitary, I can deal with arrangement and sizing, no problem (I already have plumbing 2D dwg, I need to model as IFC)

From the little I understood of BBim's MEP/IFC is that segments and fittings have port to connect each other and the set of connected elements can be seen as a 'system'

it would be useful to have some info on that..
    cheers

stefanm2
  • From the little I understood of BBim's MEP/IFC is that segments and fittings have port to connect each other and the set of connected elements can be seen as a 'system'

Hi Steverugi,
    I haven't found a way, do "create" ports, but at the "services and systems tab" beside "0 systems Found in Project" there is the button "Load Systems"-click it- choose a system-class add it -rename, select parts "+ assign to system".

steverugi
  • edited April 23

Bedson
  • edited April 23

@stefanm2
    beautiful!
    hopefully one day I can integrate it in my workflow (modelling in IFC 2D dwg received from plumbing/electrical plans)

from what I understand you treat objects like pipes, valves, fittings, as 3D entities and phisically connect them (not functionally) and classify them as 'system', is it correct?

thanks

• edited April 23

You're welcome... yes, thats correct

steverugi
  • Nice work @stefanm2 ! How does your pipework look when BBIM is used for plans and sections? Do you use Representations for clean linework? Cheers

stefanm2
  • edited April 23

:-( didn't do it complete, therefore I had to create all systems, plans for arch, mep, do the mathstuff, create all pipes, bows, tee's... of all Nominal Sizes.... and after creating the planviews doing the linestuff in inkscape... (big part)
    Imao it's usefull to use plan/body/views with thin lines for the fitting and manifold stuff and color them in inkscape, ("theoryshaw" is the master of drawinggeneration)

Bedsonsteverugi
  • edited April 25

Shit: Shift+S not Shift+A is snapping... maybe an admin can delete the original pic and place this one... thx!

Bedsonsteverugi