Open data formats for 3d data registration / 3d scans / point clouds / photogrammetry
A constantly updated summary will be in this post: https://community.osarch.org/discussion/comment/18244/#Comment_18244
I need some advice on handling and specifying data formats for point cloud data. We don't really have anything on our wiki and it seems like the whole field is very fractured into many formats.
I'd like a discussion about which file formats are best for point cloud data to be handled by FLOSS. here's what I found with a cursory search on a topic I barely understood 15 minutes ago:
- E57 seems to be the prefered format for some importers
- PLY, then there is an importer to Blender PLY ( Point Cloud Visualizer https://blendermarket.com/products/pcv). For .pts / .ply. PTS seems to be "Leica Lidar scanners (.pts files)" look proprietary although it's ASCII and therefore very heavy, I guess it's accessably but still proprietary.
- PCD (Point Cloud Data) binary file format which Blender seems to like https://markhedleyjones.com/projects/blender-pcd-io
- PCL (Point Cloud Library), BSD license, can act as a container for PCD https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_Cloud_Library
- X3D which looks like it's quite new and has a large range of capabilities. It's Apache 2.0 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X3D
- Open3D seems to also be used and includes color data. It's Apache-2.0 & MIT https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_3D_Engine
... so what should we have on our wiki? Of I would like our wiki to provide an overview and some recommendations
... and https://openpointcloudformats.org/docs/ seems to suggest that there are no formats... Our discussion: https://community.osarch.org/discussion/728/open-pointcloud-formats-petition
What's the name of the system where points also cary color data? Is that still regarded as "simply" point data, just with more information for each point?
What about the related field of photogrammetry? I think many scanners record using both methods at the same time...
- The only FLOSS workflow I know of (by @bitacovir ) described on our wiki for photogrammetry uses the Photogrammetric Compter Vison (PCV) https://u.osu.edu/pcvlab/ format https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=Regard3D+Blender+FreeCAD_workflow I can't see ifPCV is an open format... at the same time saying that E57 is an industry open format (!)
So what do we know in our collective knowledge?