Anyone building anything with Godot?

[This first post lifted from a separate thread where Godot was mentioned]

Godot is still far from Unreal in terms of polish but it is definitely a tool we should be looking at, even beyond AR / VR, it's a great tool for building applications outside of the typical games it's known for. For example, here's a paint app built with Godot. I even tried my hands at a to-do-list app, aiming at a tool that can be used for site meeting minutes and building snag lists amongst other things....

bitacovirjtm2020hyo

Comments

  • Interested in seeing what other people are doing with Godot within the context of the AEC industry, with AR / VR, but also in unexpected ways.

  • Proprietary tools like Enscape let you quickly ship a standalone executable for a client to view their building. I've used Godot to do just that - I think I took some FPS template and simply swapped out the geometry with the model.

    It wasn't as smooth though running on the PC compared to Enscape. It was also nowhere near the usability of Enscape, which allows architects to create these things with literally one click. On the plus side, custom branding, and cross platform support.

    bitacovir
  • edited September 3

    IHMO, Godot should be used mainly in construction, their support for VR AR make a better alternative to Autodesk Layout Point , other features:

    +according to their documentation they already accept IFC
    +they have their own data flow programing language
    +Python API
    +Support Android

    Any device with GPS and Gyroscope might create precise:

    Design pre-visualization
    Building construction
    Revision and Renovation

    Example:
    A plumber could see all pipes with their smartphone, inside wall.
    An advanced app could guide constructors piece per piece.

  • @DADA_universe
    ... I think we should invite our constructor friends that already have experiences with Autodesk Layouts Point or BIM 360. probably they have better experiences with VR and AR. Tell our friends that they might be like IRON MAN with Godot in construction.

  • @jtm2020hyo said:
    IHMO, Godot should be used mainly in construction, their support for VR AR make a better alternative to Autodesk Layout Point , other features:

    +according to their documentation they already accept IFC

    I didn't know Godot already accepts IFC, there's definitely something to explore there. For example, you can build your project in BlenderBIM and then make it possible to interactively query some of the IFC information in a Godot build of the project (maybe in VR or AR) with nice UI. You could also make this multi-player so different members of a team can collaboratively view / manipulate this information in real time.

  • @Moult said:
    Proprietary tools like Enscape let you quickly ship a standalone executable for a client to view their building. I've used Godot to do just that - I think I took some FPS template and simply swapped out the geometry with the model.

    It wasn't as smooth though running on the PC compared to Enscape. It was also nowhere near the usability of Enscape, which allows architects to create these things with literally one click. On the plus side, custom branding, and cross platform support.

    I don't know if I shared this before elsewhere, here's a Blender add-on for working with Blender projects in Godot. It's not there yet, but it already improves the work flow considerably. With more developer love like that, I'm sure the gap between Godot and Enscape can be closed considerably, at least for quick interactive visualizations. The improved graphics coming in Godot 4 (already available in the nightly builds) won't hurt either.

    Moult
  • Oh wow, that should definitely be added to the wiki directory, that type of workflow is incredibly useful for architects.

  • @jtm2020hyo said:
    @DADA_universe
    ... I think we should invite our constructor friends that already have experiences with Autodesk Layouts Point or BIM 360. probably they have better experiences with VR and AR. Tell our friends that they might be like IRON MAN with Godot in construction.

    Oh, definitely, but we need to build several demo projects first to convince them, most of them are not early adopters, they need to see it work first! I have a VR experience I've been planning for a while now which I initially thought to build in Unity, but I'm increasingly thinking of building it in Godot now.

    jtm2020hyo
  • @Moult said:
    Oh wow, that should definitely be added to the wiki directory, that type of workflow is incredibly useful for architects.

    Done!
    (Under Visualization and Documentation)

  • @DADA_universe said:

    Done!
    (Under Visualization and Documentation)

    The link gives me 404 page. There is a / at the end...

  • edited September 24

    @DADA_universe
    ... but we need to build several demo projects first to convince them...

    here an old video for inspiration:

    DADA_universe
  • @bitacovir said:

    @DADA_universe said:

    Done!
    (Under Visualization and Documentation)

    The link gives me 404 page. There is a / at the end...

    Thanks I fixed it.

  • @DADA_universe said:
    Done!
    (Under Visualization and Documentation)

    Now has its own page https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=Blender2Godot so it can be included in the category https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=Category:Blender_Add-on

    jtm2020hyo
Sign In or Register to comment.