Irregular walls

Hello everyone! I am new here. I've started using BlenderBim recently, and it seems very promising. I am an architect, and most of my work involves restoring old houses, which often have irregular walls. Does anyone know if and how it's possible to create an irregular wall that changes thickness, for example, starting at 20 cm and ending at 30 cm? Thank you all.

steverugicarlopav

Comments

• edited February 26

Hi @Neskas as i said in the chat. Her what i would do.
    1. draw the wall with the parametric tool
    2. Unlink IfcWall Class => transform to mesh
    3. Reassign the IfcWall class
    4. Modify the mesh - it's your custom wall (see below for a quick overview of what it could be)

At the end you may need to reassign the proper SpatialContainer ...

• @Neskas in addition to what @bdamay demonstrated above, I think you can use a Blender mesh, a cube in the example below, edit it and make it an IfcWall. I manually applied a void and placed an IfcWindow in it

• edited February 26

@Nigel Seems your way is better than mine as the cube seems a cleaner mesh to start from than the one you get by unlinking the ifcwall type. Looks like there are triangles on faces on mine i need to get rid from before being able to model loop cuts like you.
    Well either way, @neskas, dont forget to assign the proper SpatialContainer (Storey) at the end.

• @bdamay Not better, simply different. The 'better' part is that BlenderBIM Addon allows this level of flexibility!

bdamayAce
  • @Nigel, i didn't realize windows void were suited for custom mesh walls as well. That's awesome. :-)

Nigel
  • About this, i have a correlated question about the void itself. If i select the wall and i do Alt-O to show the void. I can see the void is here cutting the wall in the wall properties. That's good.
    But i was wondering if there is an actual link or relationship between the void itself and the window ? if i inspect windows properties i don't see it. I understand shift G regenerate the void from the window. but i misunderstand one part of it.
    What i I have mostly in mind is that i could cut a roof slab with a void and placing a window in the void created but i miss the logic of linking the windows to the void. Is there one ?

• edited February 27

If I'm not mistaken :

The opening voids the wall :

The window fills the opening : but you have to select the opening to see it.

I wonder if it would be cool to query the opening when the window is selected.

Also AFAIK you can't manually add a filling to an opening. So you can't make this relationship without using the BlenderBIM window instancer with a wall selected.

bdamayAce
  • Thanks @Gorgious, this is very helpful. If i understand you correctly, here what i did for my roof slab usecase.
    1 Add a void and place if in my roof
    2 Add a window without anything selected (adds a lonely window) and place the window inside the void.
    I then have a relation between the slab and the opening named "opening" but the windows remains unlinked, and i have no way to link it to the roof, is that correct ?

• This is the way I was able to do it:
    1. Add a window without anything selected.
    2. Select the window. Then select the roof.
    3. Shift + O to add the void.
    4. The position of the window was not correct. I had to fix that.

5. Select the roof and click the eye button to show the voids.

6. Select the void and the window. Rotate and move to place them where you want.

7. Apply the void.

Hope it helps

bdamaysteverugiNigel
  • @brunopostle Thank you for your input. Your way works fine. I though find a bit weird the way the window rotates itself when Shift O is played. It looks to me that it apply the exact same angle (35) i put on the slab but from it's initial vertical position, as the 35° angle was taken from the initial horizontal position of the slab. It sounds a bit like a bug to me don't you think ? I'll check into the code to see if somehow i'm able to patch this.

• edited February 29

@bruno_perdigao
    OK posted here. https://github.com/IfcOpenShell/IfcOpenShell/issues/4377
    I also cooked a patch that i think correct things at least partially. I can send sent a PR
    The patch i made assumes we need to position the window before applying the void - and the void is applyed according to the window itself instead of the slab.
    Let's says you start with:

You manually set your windows in the slab

You select both and shift O - void is created

bruno_perdigaosteverugi
  • The subject has shifted slowly but surely to something slightly different from the original Topic. Follow up here https://community.osarch.org/discussion/2010/placing-windows-in-slab-the-easy-way#latest