BBIM - Rotation of IfcSymbol

Hi,
Is it possible to make symbols rotate via rotating the BlenderBIM cross thing? Currently this doesn't work for my symbol and I have to rotate it in the svg. Problem is that if you want another orientation you have to duplicate it and rotate it in svg again. Thus creating double symbol types just for rotation issues.

I already tried it without the rotate function, but then it just defaults to standard position.

Might be very slightly related to this rotation issue: https://community.osarch.org/discussion/2006/bbim-extruded-arb-profile-doesnt-save-rotation-and-instance-not-found-error#latest

Comments

• Hi! It should rotate already, couldn't reproduce the issue.

final svg:

Can you please share some example so I can reproduce this? Need .ifc and symbols.svg.
    Or you can try / modify my project to help reproducing this (I've attached some example project).

https://community.osarch.org/discussion/2006/bbim-extruded-arb-profile-doesnt-save-rotation-and-instance-not-found-error#latest is unrelated.

• I found 2 things:

• You used IfcAnnotation[TEXT] and I used IfcAnnotation[SYMBOL], as it is only a symbol. Should I use text classification but then without text?
    • You also used DOOR-TAG standard type, but I think that shouldn't make a difference.

Couple of extra questions that have been bugging me for some time:
    When you open the Ifc and then the plan view, it automatically decides to hide the red instances:

While it should be like this:

The annotations have the same Z so there isn't any difference.

How can I tackle this and make them automatically visible? Having trouble with it in other projects too, but maybe worth it to make a separate issue.

Note that the exported drawing DOES include the symbols. The export is the same as first picture. So the problem (or is it a feature?) is that what you see in blender is not what is exported. This creates some unwanted situations. At least I want the correct view when I first open it, temporarily hiding stuff shouldn't affect the export naturally.

MaartenFroughCoen
  • You used IfcAnnotation[TEXT] and I used IfcAnnotation[SYMBOL], as it is only a symbol. Should I use text classification but then without text?

I've totally missed that we have SYMBOL/MULTI_SYMBOL types also ? SYMBOL should support scaling and rotation after this commit, you can try it out.

When you open the Ifc and then the plan view, it automatically decides to hide the red instances:

Looks like a bug, need to investigate further.

• @jes_r said:

Fixed after commit.

• @Andrej730 said:
    Fixed after commit.

Awesome!!
    So to get the symbol in Blender view, I have to add a representation? Just like windows etc.?

• @jes_r said:
    So to get the symbol in Blender view, I have to add a representation? Just like windows etc.?

No, it shouldn't hide now even without representation.

• @Andrej730 said:
    No, it shouldn't hide now even without representation.

Sorry for not explaining my question properly:

• This fix works, so the cross thing doesn't stay hidden when opening the view, great!
    • Ideally I want to be able to see what the output is in BBIM before printing, so in this case if I want to see the symbol as it is printed in BBIM I should add a custom representation? This is double work of course, or is there another way? This would be useful for positioning the elements correctly.

• @jes_r said:

• Ideally I want to be able to see what the output is in BBIM before printing, so in this case if I want to see the symbol as it is printed in BBIM I should add a custom representation? This is double work of course, or is there another way? This would be useful for positioning the elements correctly.

I don't think it's currently possible. Currently it's either empty object without mesh representation with a symbol or mesh representation without any edges (only vertices) that will result in symbols created at each vertex.
    Can you please file it as a feature request on github?