GSOC'24 - Issue #85 - Scripts to generate light simulation input files from 3D models

Hey everyone in the community! 🙋‍♂️

I'm Chirag Singh, a Computer Science student from Vellore Institute of Technology, India. My expertise lies in applying 3D modeling and animation skills to the realms of Web, AR, and VR development. As a WebGL Developer with proficiency in Blender and Unity, I craft engaging and interactive ThreeJS web applications as well as automate Blender through Python scripting skills.
My Linkedin
My Instagram

This is my first time posting here, and I come bearing good news! I've been selected for GSOC'24 to contribute to Issue #85 - Scripts to generate light simulation input files from 3D models 🥳🥳

The project involves integrating the Blender BIM Add-On with Radiance, a tool utilized for scientifically accurate light simulations to generate 3D renders. Radiance necessitates 3D models in OBJ format and a set of input text files describing materials and scenes. Integration options also encompass filtering objects for conversion, developing a GUI in Blender, object proxying, and material swapping/mapping.

Hence, my tasks will include:

• Developing Python scripts to convert an input 3D IFC model (the building model) into OBJ files and text files readable by Radiance (light simulation software).
  • Designing a graphical interface in Blender to facilitate this conversion and offer customizable settings.
  • Implementing settings to manage object filtering, object count limits, object geometry substitution, and material mapping/substitution.
  • Enabling single-plane substitution for glazing (often modeled as cuboids but required as flat planes for light simulation).
  • Providing options to choose from preset sky settings and automatic materials.

Here's my proposal for the project.

Looking forward to diving into this exciting project and contributing to its success!

JohnbrunopostleShegsKoAratheoryshawKarinacarlopavSavyGust27wmiatomkarincaand 3 others.