FUSTIC - Future Sustainable Territories, Infrastructures and Cities

edited March 2021 in General

Hello everyone,

We have been proposed to show our support to FUSTIC.

You'll find attached :

• A full presentation of FUSTIC
  • A one page presentation
  • An example of support letter

Mutual interest

FUSTIC have been created to develop and fund on topic close to OSArch values. FUSTIC have interest to receive our support to be aware that they can count on our dynamic FLOSS community to help developing their project. OSArch could also propose projects and hopefully get funds to develop it.

Here is 2 example of project I proposed (short abstract, I can translate full proposition if you like) :

• Development toward SME to produce tools and methodologies to produce open standard based objects libraries (IfcProjectLibrary). This would include process to use industrial models (eg. STEP) to retrieve data and generate lower detailed geometries for BIM usage.
  • Enhancement and interoperability of computing engine targeting open and closed fluid systems in AEC. The idea is to create an IFC based dynamic engine to perform better energy optimizations on fluid transport in design, building and operation phase.

How

As OSArch has no official representative I propose 2 possible way to proceed :

• Vote on the question : Do you agree that OSArch shows its support to FUSTIC ? Yes/No/abstention
  • If it is agreed then 2 options :
    • Elect someone to sign
    • Reference the vote to attest that community is supporting FUSTIC initiative
Jesusbill

Comments

• edited March 2021

Not only do we not have 'official representatives' we don't even have members, unless we count the supporters list as a members list.

I'm thinking we're about ready to have some formal organization so we can make these sorts of decisions. It's so obvious that a small committee would be able to take the advice of (for example) you on this matter and then just put our name (or not) to a support letter.

In this specific case I would like to hear your recommendation. Perhaps you propose we support it and we wait a week for objections? If there are no objections then you are empowered to support it openly on behalf of osarch and link to the discussion. How does that sound?

Bear in mind that we have nothing to offer except what we're already doing. For now we have no resources - we have good ideas, good community and a good network.

Jesusbill
  • How does that sound?

Sounds good this way too.

• I like this initiative, and hopefully when one of the projects we're hacking on aligns, we can collaborate further. I think it is good to have a slightly decentralised setup where someone can propose to "lead" an OSArch initiative, and they become the OSArch representative for that particular initiative.

Jesusbill
  • @Moult said:
    I like this initiative, and hopefully when one of the projects we're hacking on aligns, we can collaborate further. I think it is good to have a slightly decentralised setup where someone can propose to "lead" an OSArch initiative, and they become the OSArch representative for that particular initiative.

Absolutely agree, we need to build trust in each others expertise and simply be open about what we're doing.

Jesusbill
  • edited March 2021

Possible project ( @Moult please edit this post )

• Honeybee & Butterfly integration in Blender - @Moult can help lead this initiative
    • Material Passports / IFC snippets for construction elements for demolition - who would lead this initiative if chosen?
    • Radiance / Comfort + people models - ping @germolinal
  • Ping @germolinal I mentioned that your initiative around developing comfort + people models was looking for funding and this could be a viable funding source. If it goes ahead, this could be something you could develop as open source and integrated into an interface like Blender / FreeCAD.

bitacovir
  • Thanks, @Moult and @duncan ! This sounds good. I already sent this to the other people involved in my project to see what they have to say.

In this specific case I would like to hear your recommendation. Perhaps you propose we support it and we wait a week for objections? If there are no objections then you are empowered to support it openly on behalf of osarch and link to the discussion. How does that sound?

I am very new in this group, but that sounds good to me.