Blender's new spreadsheet editor

Seems like blender is going BIM by natural design with the new spreadsheet editor - https://developer.blender.org/T86279
Wondering how easy it would be to tap into into with with blenderBIM, maybe even sverschok, and the nicest thing if there could be a way to mix and match data from different objects that are important to the project's design or documentation

Tagged:
theoryshawDarth_Blender

Comments

• A COBie spreadsheet exporter would be several shades of wonderful!

• I did indeed see that task. I haven't tested the build yet and I'm not sure if 1) it has Python API access yet and 2) it allows arbitrary data viz, or is only tied to particular Blender data structures. But yes, definitely when it turns stable this is something I'd love to integrate.

@Bedson that already exists - there is the IfcCOBie tool you can find in the scene properties.

Bedson
  • Also keeping a close eye on this. In fact this is the reason a ended up finding BlenderBIM as I was looking for a way to export a Blender scene hierarchy into a .csv (or better yet display the scene as tabulated data in Blender) for quick comparison of concept design schemes. Having the ability to start a project at stage 1 or 2 in Blender then import/export structured .IFC data is very compelling.

@Bedson I think you need the 'load from memory' (assume this uses the selected IFCId) checkbox ticked to enable export if not loading from an external .csv but @moult will be able to confirm.

• @ChubbyQuark yes - tick the checkbox to get results from the active model without needing to export.

• The spreadsheet editor has been through a couple of revisions now, I was hoping it would have the ability to display and group scene elements but I donlt think this is what it has been designed for.

Does anyone have ideas how we could get Blender to display tabulated scene data within the viewport? Similar to how Revit has an in-built tabulated view.

My two ideas on approach would be to create a custom UI table using Pyhton or export scene data to .CSV and then link and display this .CSV in Blender. I'm not an experienced programmer so any advice on which approach is best would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• @ChubbyQuark said:
    The spreadsheet editor has been through a couple of revisions now, I was hoping it would have the ability to display and group scene elements but I donlt think this is what it has been designed for.

Does anyone have ideas how we could get Blender to display tabulated scene data within the viewport? Similar to how Revit has an in-built tabulated view.

My two ideas on approach would be to create a custom UI table using Pyhton or export scene data to .CSV and then link and display this .CSV in Blender. I'm not an experienced programmer so any advice on which approach is best would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Is BlenderBIM spreadsheet maybe useful for you?

https://github.com/C-Claus/BlenderScripts/tree/master/BlenderBIMSpreadsheet/3.3.3

• Yes, it's a great addon for the BB-addon. Do you think this could be further embedded into the Blender UI so tabulated data can be viewed?

• @ChubbyQuark said:
    Yes, it's a great addon for the BB-addon. Do you think this could be further embedded into the Blender UI so tabulated data can be viewed?

I hope so, the PR is to be found here: https://github.com/IfcOpenShell/IfcOpenShell/pull/2622
    But it needs to peer reviewed and I think my code could be heavily refactored. When I made this I didn't make use of the ifcopenshell.api. Because it was under development? Plus there was no documentation at the time.

• OK, thanks. I've just mailed the developer of this add-on, which is already half way to having realtime tabulated data in blender.
    https://github.com/dustractor/propchart
    I'm wondering if the properties could be filtered and grouped by adjusting the add-on. I'll have a proper look at the code when I get more time.

• edited January 2023

A screen grab of the current add-on. Loaded with one of the demo ifc files. Required properties can be added at the top of the UI.

chunchkAceMeetlatDADA_universeCoen
  • So id like to canvas some opinion on the use for this as an add-on which can filter, group and total model elements interactively (think Revits schedule tool)?

There has already been some great work done by @Coen to export and link to external spreadsheet editors, this could supplement that work by creating dynamic data tables within the viewport.

I think the native spreadsheet editor would be a great fit if it could expand to include all scene geometry, speaking with @Gorgious this may be a few releases away and may then need further development.

The existing add-on (PropChart) seems to lay the ground work. What features besides grouping, sorting and filtering would be needed? My python knowledge is low but happy to have a crack at this if there is interest.

GorgiousAceCoen