AEC Free Software directory: (https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=AEC_Free_Software_directory)
think it would be great to have a directory of 100% free software (e.g. Honeybee is free, but currently coupled with Rhino, which is proprietary - although I heard the devs are making it agnostic!) that could be used at various stages of the design and construction pipeline. Here's a list of what I know so far, please let me know if there are others!
The end goal is a directory with a short description and image for each, and some form of category.
- Blender - Polygonal 3D modeling, animation, and rendering
- FreeCAD - Parametric, constraint-based solid modeling and analysis for industrial design
- Tissue - Create parametric and tesselated panels in Blender
- Sverchok - Parametric and algorithmic or generative design with Blender, similar to Grasshopper
- ArchiPack - Quickly model parametric architectural objects in Blender
- BlenderBIM Add-on - Read, write, and management of IFC data with Blender
- Measure-it - Create 3D measurements in Blender
- IfcOpenShell - A C++ and Python library for manipulating IFC data for programmers
- BIMServer - An online server to view and manage IFC files, similar to BIM360
- Radiance - Scientifically validated light simulation for light engineering
- EnergyPlus - Scientifically validated energy analysis platform
- OpenFOAM - Computational fluid dynamics analysis platform
- ParaView - Scientific visualisation platform for analysis results
- Code_Aster - Numerical simulation for structural mechanics
- Flexible Collision Library - Allows interrogation of geometry clashes
- BIMTester - Write unit tests to perform quality auditing of IFC data
- IFCDiff - Compare changes between two IFC files
- IFCCOBie - Convert COBie data from an IFC file to spreadsheet format
- BIMSurfer - Web-based IFC model viewer
- BRL-CAD - Command based solid modeling platform
I have probably missed quite a few, so please feel free to add your own!