[BIenderBIM] IFC CSV tool

edited October 2022 in General

I´ve recently been playing around with some of the bundled tools that come with BlenderBIM to try and get a better feel for how they work. After some testing, I noticed that the IFCCSV tool does give you a way to export Pset Properties to CSV ( BlenderBIM version 0.0.210829)?

Am I just doing it wrong or is this something that needs to be added? Is it something that a noob programmer such as myself could realistically contribute to?

Comments

• Ok so after updating to the latest build of BlenderBIM and trying again it seems to work. For anyone interested, you need to type the desired property as:
    "Pset Name"."Pset Property". See screenshot below

and the resulting output in csv:

JanFCoen
  • edited October 2021

Hi, I hope this is a good place to post this query about IFC CSV editing
    From BlenderBIM I have been trying to export a CSV, edit it and then Import it back into BlenderBIM.
    step 1, i selected .IfcBuildingElementProxy and attributes type and Name

step 2, opened in Libre, looked OK, made some edits

step 3, saved as CSV and imported back into BlenderBIM, this is where I don't understand the workflow and I need some help because nothing updated in BlenderBIM
    thank you in advance

• Would be really cool if it's possible to make 'live connection' between a spreadsheet program and BlenderBIM. Filtering in schedules and hide isolating the objects in the 3D view. Like Solibri or Revit Schedules.

BedsonFlies_Eyes
  • @Nigel - You are trying to edit Attributes as opposed to Properties. Try exporting some pset properties and it should work.

• @vpajic said:
    @Nigel - You are trying to edit Attributes as opposed to Properties. Try exporting some pset properties and it should work.

Thank you for your help. I followed Dion's video on the wiki where he showed attributes being edited in a CSV externally and then imported back into blender

• @Coen said:
    Would be really cool if it's possible to make 'live connection' between a spreadsheet program and BlenderBIM. Filtering in schedules and hide isolating the objects in the 3D view. Like Solibri or Revit Schedules.

Could this be done in Blender using the built-in spreadsheet, just thinking out loud

• @Nigel can you share a sample file?

• @Nigel Did you end up sorting it out? I've been using IFCCSV quite a bit recently and it`s working as expected. I'd be happy to go through it with you over skype/similar if you want?

• edited October 2021

I am curious as well.
    https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=BlenderBIM_IFCCSV
    Found this on the wiki,
    @Nigel
    I can't find the video you're mentioning.

• @Coen said:
    I am curious as well.
    https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=BlenderBIM_IFCCSV
    Found this on the wiki,
    @Nigel
    I can't find the video you're mentioning.

I think it´s only fair that I contribute to that wiki a bit ;). I'll get on it next week !

Coen
  • Hi @Coen & @vpajic
    my apologies on the delay in replying, the day job is busy at present.
    is the link to the part of the video about CSV editing on the https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=BlenderBIM_Add-on Wiki page. I am keen to learn the workflow for this so I can get consistent results ( or any results :) ).
    I'm in New Zealand so time zones are a bit difficult but would be keen for a Zoom/Teams meeting.
    The file I was trying is one from my work so I shouldn't feel comfortable sharing it but we can try it in live meet up.
    Once I get this workflow I would like to make a short tutorial to share as this is an especially useful tool for IFC

• Watched the YT clip. I understand how to use it now. This is very cool.

Going to play with it some more.

• Why is type not capitalized? Can pset_properties be exported to IFC as well?

• @Coen said:
    Why is type not capitalized? Can pset_properties be exported to IFC as well?

Yeah you can export pset properties as well, have a look at my second comment in this thread. There are so many useful scenarios where you can use ifccsv, it's really a nice feature ?

• @vpajic said:

Yeah you can export pset properties as well, have a look at my second comment in this thread. There are so many useful scenarios where you can use ifccsv, it's really a nice feature ?

Updated to the latest version, with getting the quantities and exporting to csv it's indeed a very nice feature.

vpajicGorgious
  • I wonder if it is possible to get inverse attributes too, especially for spatial containment?

• @tobenz said:
    I wonder if it is possible to get inverse attributes too, especially for spatial containment?

Have you checked out IfcOpenShell? There are some really good code examples here: https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=IfcOpenShell_code_examples

• Yes, I did something like this manually, but the ifccsv is too convinient :).

• edited October 2022

Regarding this discussion about IFC CSV 3 questions.
    1. It's now possible to get inverse atributes from elements (spatialContainer, etc..)??
    2. About Classifications I've been checking and I've seen that you can export it to csv if you filter via IfcClassificationReference class, but I can't get to which element is attached. There is a way to export Classifications Reference of elements as 'property'??
    3. When you export to CSV there's always the problem with 'strange symbols' that many languages use (like í ò ü ç ...). There is a workaround to get that symbols back in the CSV?

Thanks!

• @vbertran this looks like the file is written in utf-8 encoding, but excel hasn't recognised this and has assumed it is latin1.

I seem to remember that you can indicate the encoding when you open a CSV file in excel.

Martin156131
  • @brunopostle said:
    @vbertran this looks like the file is written in utf-8 encoding, but excel hasn't recognised this and has assumed it is latin1.
    I seem to remember that you can indicate the encoding when you open a CSV file in excel.

I find that for several reasons LibreOffice Calc is much better for working with CSV files. Better control.

• Hi, I hope this is the right place to ask this question. I have only recently started working with ifc. I am trying to export a .csv using BlenderBim and it all works fine, except when I try to export property sets or quantity sets. I want to get the NetFloorArea of an IfcSpace. Despite having this information in the ifc, it does not appear on the csv export. Any idea what might be the problem?
    Thanks in advance!!

• @ivanmukov the name of the qset in the screenshot is "BaseQuantities", not "Qto_SpaceBaseQuantities".

• @vpajic thanks a lot! I guess I need to be more careful. I was really stuck on that for a while and it turns out so simple!

vpajic
  • @brunopostle said:
    @vbertran this looks like the file is written in utf-8 encoding, but excel hasn't recognised this and has assumed it is latin1.

Yes, you can choose the right encoding if you instead of opening a CSV directly, go to the Data tab in the ribbon, then the import group and the import from text/csv. If you need to, you can also transform the data in Power Query.

Never open a CSV directly in Excel, as this quickly can lead to a corrupted CSV.

vbertranbrunopostleCoen
  • edited September 2023

Hi, I'm a noobie to BlenderBIM and this forum and not entirely sure if this is the right place to post.
    But, I'm having trouble exporting to csv, via the IFCCSV exporter, a few selected custom Property Set properties.
    see screen shot attached of the error returned: "NameError: name 'args' is not defined"

Thanks in advance, any assistance is appreciated.

• Can you show us a snapshot of this area?...

• @TransportBIM also make sure you have upgraded to the latest version, this has changed significantly recently.

• @Moult I have updated to latest release, i.e. v0.0.230902.
    I note that the menu has changed. Any hints on where I might find the IFCCSV import/export tool under this version?

• edited September 2023

I was able to find it under collaboration by typing CSV into the search bar.
    However, the menu under Collaboration tab is greyed out. Is it recalling it from the previous version?