Introducing SIMPLE Tools - www.simplesim.tools

Hello all,
I created this post to introduce https://simplesim.tools.

What is it

It is (a work in progress of) a Free, Open Source, and Integrated building performance simulation tool. Specifically, it has been designed with an architecture that allows communicating different modules—e.g., daylight, thermal and CFD—at runtime while keeping their code separated (i.e., while keeping the code maintainable).
It also allows simulating complex control systems by using an actual programming language, enabling us to use functions, if/else, for/while, potentially random number generators, and more.

Where it comes from

I started developing SIMPLE during my PhD, when I studied what people mean by and expect from comfortable homes. I learned then that—contrary to our books and our software and our building codes—people do not separate thermal aspects from acoustic, visual and air quality issues. On the contrary, they do everything together... Based on this insight and a couple more (that I won't detail here because this post might become boring) I realized that our tools do not allow us to really assess comfort.

How can you contribute?

Starting a new Building Simulation tool involves a lot of things. From choosing algorithms and writing code, to writing documentation, testing it and validating it. At times this implies incorporating already existing equations and models... so, no real research, just coding basic functions. Everyone can contribute!. If you are interested in this, I am happy to help you learn coding for SIMPLE.
Also, if you are doing research (such as a Master or a PhD) I think there is a great opportunity to add your findings to this code. Or, even, base your research on contributing to the code (e.g., "Implementation of modern rendering algorithms for daylight simulation").

Some additional resources

• Youtube channel: Let me know if you want me to record any specific video... I am far from a youtube at the moment
  • Github repos: Check them out

I am happy to answer questions!

brunopostleCyrilbitacovirMeetlatMoultCoenJesusbill

Comments