FOSDEM talk: Hacking through BIM models

Hi all! @Moult and me will be giving a 20min (15min presentation + 5min Q&A) talk at FOSDEM, on february 5th, 13:40 Brussels time (to be confirmed). Basically our idea is to show a couple of cool python hacks to be done on BIM models in BlenderBIM and FreeCAD.
We thought it would be cool to gather ideas here too: What would you like to see?
My own ideas so far (FreeCAD side):

• Use IfcOpenShell to load and inspect a model contents
  • Import some shapes in FreeCAD
  • Export some shapes from FreeCAD
  • Get all the beams and columns only
  • Quickly compute a table of quantities
  • Quickly compute a plan view
paulleetlangAcevpajicCoenMoultCadGiruinfeeeeebitacovir

Comments

• Showing a construction sequence in blenderbim from a freecad made model would be cool!

paullee
  • @Ace sounds good! What I think will happen is that we'll show some code snippets and what they can achieve. I'm imagining a tech-savvy client that has got some real estate being designed / sold to them - increasingly they might get access to the BIM models and will want to do cool things to it. Already, Google and Microsoft have ambitions around their BIM models and how they want to connect to it - why not open it to everyone?

Here are some Python hacks on the BlenderBIM Add-on side I'm thinking of:

• View your BIM models in Blender - ultra-crash course in loading, looking at properties, using the debug panel, and firing up an interactive Python console (good for getting them started)
    • Generate a quick construction sequence.
    • Import / export data to/from IFC and CSV
    • Connect to Brickschema (highly experimental! But imagine tech-savvy clients receiving BIM models and getting "digital twin" products too)
    • Maybe something to do with Facility management? Get all maintainable assets?
    • Do a model comparison diff
    • Patch mistakes (shift coordinates, merge datasets, regenerate GlobalIds ... )

It'll all be in 7.5 minutes only (the other half by @yorik ) so it'll be pretty rapid fire just to give them a taster and get the ideas whirling.

Acepaulleebitacovir
  • @yorik said:
    We thought it would be cool to gather ideas here too: What would you like to see?

1) Some integration or continuous workflow with BlenderBIM or another software such as LibreCAD or Inkscape

• @bitacovir said:
    1) Some integration or continuous workflow with BlenderBIM or another software such as LibreCAD or Inkscape

That would be cool, but hard to do in a few minutes in python. Matter for another video! :)

• @bitacovir said:

@yorik said:

I agree this is very important and we should think about a suitable venue. I don't think FOSSDEM is the right venue. Maybe a collaboration with the person behind librearts. Anyway, that's a discussion for a different thread.