If you're reading this, we've just migrated servers! If anything looks broken please email dion@thinkmoult.com :)

In search of an Archipack mentor

Hello Everyone, I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this. I am seeking someone who has experience in Archipack that would be available to answer questions on occasion as I am working through the process of learning to use the add on in Blender. Recently I decided to make a career change and I'm teaching myself to make architectural renderings using open source software. I have lots of experience using various CAD platforms, graphic design tools, and Blender (admittedly my Blender skills withered on the vine for about 7 years) so I'm not a complete ignorant newb. I have struggled to find decent Archipack learning resources online or a community that supports the add on. Stephen made an amazing product and I want to make full use of it but I'm struggling to find the right resources. If anyone can point me in the right direction or put me in contact with someone I'd be much appreciated.

Tagged:

Comments

• Hi @Dillscallion
    i have viewed Stephen's quick start YouTube videos https://youtube.com/c/StephenLeger

• @stephen_l is around here and used to frequent the OSArch live chatroom. @stephen_l perhaps it's time to join is back in the chat? :)

• @Dillscallion are you aware of the Archipack dedicated discord channel? I believe Stephen created his comunity there: https://discord.gg/CU2QKMx5Db

• Thanks @tlang I've added that link to the Archipack page since no-one else has ... but do those discord links expire?
    @Dillscallion the best way to learn is to teach, so think about working on the Archipack page of the wiki with whatever resources you find.

JanFJesusbill
  • edited February 2022

The CG Essentials youtube channel explains the basics of Archipak PRO very well:

Nigelduncan
  • edited February 2022

@Nigel and @Coen, I've spent many productive hours on Youtube learning from Stephen's and CG Essentials content and it has been an incredibly helpful jumping off point. I am now looking for help beyond the basics that these tutorials provide.
    @Moult, I've reached out to @stephen_l and he has helped me work through an issue I had regarding adjusting wall heights on individual sections. He was actually very responsive to my query and appreciated greatly. I'm looking for more points of contact with experienced Archipack users in the industry. I don't want to become a burden to any individual with my silly questions.
    @tlang and @duncan , Thank you! I'll be joining the Archipack Discord channel as soon and I finish this post.
    @duncan, I completely agree. I taught graphic design and multimedia classes for 8 years and fully plan on drawing from that experience in creating some more advanced tutorials to release on Youtube to give back to the OS community and Archipack. My biggest interest right now would be some in depth tutorials on complex roof structures as I'm finding that to be my biggest obstacle. I'd like to get my feet under me a bit more so as to not lead anyone down the wrong path.

Thank you all for your responses, I can tell this is a great community and look forward to being a part of it. For anyone curious what roof issues I'm trying to solve, I've attached a pdf of a project I'm working on for a friend of my who designs homes. I finally gave up trying to use Archipack and just modeled the roof the old fashioned way but I would love to know if Archipack can accomplish this.

Edit: I should add that I am willing to pay for someone's time as a consulting fee. Also, I've attached the file in the post below.

Cyrilduncan
  • PDF of my current project.

CyrilNigelCoenduncan
  • @Dillscallion

Cool stuff, was thats olely made with BlenderBIM? How are your Archipack resources learning coming along?

• @Coen
    The house plans were made in Autocad by a friend of mine who designs houses. Sadly, he is not interested in changing platforms or in OSARCH at all. I've tried. I suppose when you've been using the same CAD program for 30 years and making a very comfortable living from it, its hard to convince them to change.
    I've made great strides in learning Archipack. Joining the Discord has been the most fruitful advice I've received. I am still looking for someone who is experienced in Archipack and architectural renderings (where I've chosen to focus my energy) to be a direct resource but I assume that will come as I get more involved in the community as a whole.

• Maybe you could try to look at it from a different perspective, for me one of the philosophies of open source is to do everything in the open so that anyone can chime in, teach or learn something from every exchange. So you may have better luck if you start threads about more specific problems you want to solve, or areas you want to explore so that anyone can bring their experience to the table.

That way, you maximize your chances of having someone react and the gathered information and discussion gets added to the collective hive mind and further down the line when someone like you wants to get answers for questions that you have already asked, they'll get answers and debates and resources and user names they can ping, etc.

And who knows, you might go down the rabbit hole and discover things you may have never thought existed. Just my 2 cents :)

CoenNigelJesusbillduncan