[BlenderBIM]Writing a tutorial at EPFL. Stuck on IfcWindow and IfcOpeningElement

edited October 2022 in General

Hi, I'm Raphaël Vouilloz, architect working at CNPA, EPFL ; we discovered BlenderBIM thanks to Cyril. I'm writing a tutorial for modeling Le Corbusier's Villa Le Sextant, which the Lab has already done for Revit, Archicad and Rhino.
First, thanks for your work ; BlenderBIM is a really smart tool! I need help understanding how you make the openings work.

First with Linked Duplicate on IfcOpeningElements

I have the same non-rectangular IfcOpeningElements several times, so I need them to be Linked Duplicates, i.e. represented by an IfcMappedItem of a Tessellation (as it works when creating an IfcWindow with the BIM Tool from a mesh declared as IfcWindowType).
Is this possible? It would be great if an Alt+D in Blender could, for IFC, make the geometry representation of the duplicated IfcOpeningElement an IfcMappedItem of the source. Same for the BIM Tool from the second occurrence.

Then with Parenting IfcOpeningElements to IfcWindows

Could we make BlenderBIM parent on import? As it is done with the BIM Tool.
Also, is there a trick in Blender to pass a parent relationship when duplicating an IfcWindow and its IfcOpeningElement simultaneously? Because the basic behavior is to parent the copied child with the source object.

Thanks a lot

CoentlangCyril

Comments