Where are you writing code?

I'm curious who's using tools like Visual Studio, JetBrains, Neovim, etc. and what they're using it for. Also, regarding BlenderBIM, when is it appropriate to use the python console within Blender, and more importantly, when is it beneficial to write your code elsewhere? As I'm getting started with this, I guess I'm mainly curious what tools you're using to complete what tasks and why. Appreciate your insight!

Comments

• Found info here: https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/Developer_Intro/Environment
    "Python
    While python scripts can be developed entirely inside Blender, the built-in text editor is limited. Its convenient for short scripts or making minor edits but for large projects you will want to use an external editor.

With python development the choice of IDE/Editor is less of an issue as with C/C++, most developers just use their favorite editor.

Editors known to work well: scite, geany, notepad++, gedit and eric5.

If you're already familiar with vim or emacs they are fine too.

For more information on how to execute scripts externally see: Using an External Editor"

• I found VS Code is a good middle ground between a full on dev suite and a simple text editor. For blender specifically there are a few tools to ease in using the API. This page describes it pretty well https://b3d.interplanety.org/en/using-microsoft-visual-studio-code-as-external-ide-for-writing-blender-scripts-add-ons/

cbazeCoenJesusbill
  • Have been using PyCharm venv community edition.. has worked great for me..

• So I'm going to be "that guy" and say I use Vim :)

• The addon from Jacques Lucke is absolutely essential for vscode users, allows you to debug blender scripts and addons directly from vscode

• Curious about what @yorik can say about this topic :-)

• i use geany mostly, but more and more a console editor named "micro", because it has a very cool python checker that runs each time you save the file :)

Basically external editors offer much more functionality, plugins, etc... than most built-in editors. other than that, specially for python code, it's mostly a question of taste...