BlenderBIM, abusing the IfcParametricProfile to create IfcCoverings but where to adjust the length?

I've recenlty discovered how the IfcProject Library works, I am now creating a small library to create a simple roof.

So far I have modelled this

These sheet coverings are IfcCoveringType instances driven with an IfcMaterialProfileSetUsage:

I wanted to adjust the size of the IfcCoveringType instances in Edit mode, after trying it for three times it didn't export properly to IFC, which I finally understood it won't work because it's getting it's geometry from the IfcType library. Where the default "length" is set to 3000mm

Is there a way to adjust the default length of 3000mm for each type instance somewhere?

Comments

• I think there might be some type of bug. I can't get IfcMaterialProfileSet to work with IfcCoveringTypes... that is, when i change XDim and YDim in the IfcRectangleProfileDef, it doesn't update the instances.

Coen
  • edited October 2022

The system currently has some hardcoded logic that restricts the parametric profiles/layers to walls/roofs/beams/columns/members. This is purely arbitrary and will be removed in the near future to decouple it from the IFC class. However, in the meantime if you try to use them for other things you may encounter strange behaviour :)

Coen
  • edited October 2022

Coverings are indeed special, as floorings and ceilings work mostly like slabs, claddings like walls and sleeves / wraps / moldings more like beams.

Coen
  • Yes, we'll need a way to design the UX so that 1) sensible defaults are given such that walls you'd assume most walls are layersets 2) the user can override the default and 3) in ambiguous places like coverings which could either be vertical, horizontal layers, or profiles, or custom entirely to still offer a non-confusing UI.

Coen
  • @theoryshaw said:
    I think there might be some type of bug. I can't get IfcMaterialProfileSet to work with IfcCoveringTypes... that is, when i change XDim and YDim in the IfcRectangleProfileDef, it doesn't update the instances.

Is IfcMaterialProfileSet allowed with IfcCovering ? bSI has as not be referred for IfcCoveringType.

• Not an expert, but I think similar to this example, IfcMaterialProfileSetUsage is assigned to the instance (IfcCovering) and IfcMaterialProfileSet is assigned to the type (IfcCoveringType).

• Also, the searching strategy outlined here, might help you in learning the schema's structure.

Arv