[BlenderBIM] Comments on new Openings system

edited October 2022 in General

Hey @Moult,
You might be thinking of implementing some of this already and/or some of this functionality exists and i'm missing it, but thoughts so far..

• It would nice when bpy.ops.bim.add_potential_opening() is run, it automatically 'applies' the opening to the selected object. That is, you don't have to select the wall and opening and then hit 'apply void'.
  • be able to 'unapply' an opening to a wall. --that is, without deleting it.
  • Would suggest, in the UI, to put openings and halfspacesolids in the same area as users, i think, conceptualize these things related.
  • Would suggest removing the 'select wall' step below. (just less clicking around)

• Select wall
    • click 'eye' bpy.ops.bim.show_openings()
    • move opening
    • select wall
    • apply bpy.ops.bim.edit_openings()
  • Will openings eventually be parented(dynamically connected) to windows/doors?

AceCoen

Comments

• @theoryshaw you read my mind on this

theoryshaw
  • edited October 2022
    1. The purpose of splitting into a two step process is to allow the user to specify X/Y/Z dims when creating a potential opening. Unfortunately due to a limitation, I cannot both allow numeric sliders during object creation and IFC assignment in one step.
    2. Good idea! (Edit: this was always possible but not very obvious. If you want to delete, use the delete key, if you want to simply "detach" the opening, in the IFC Void panel just press remove opening - UI now improved)
    3. For now, only openings can be used for openings, and half spaces can be used for booleans, but I do plan to allow them to be used in either mode, as well as add support for a few more opening types.
    4. Alt-O hotkey :) But yes, good idea. Will implement.
    5. Perhaps, not sure how right now. For now, a manual Shift-G is needed to regen the window / door.
    theoryshawAce
  • Will openings eventually be parented(dynamically connected) to windows/doors?

Didn't read the thread properly, but will BlenderBIM in the future be able to do something similar like Archipack? With snapping face IfcOpeningElements which take on the width of an IfcWallType instance?

• How would I apply the openings to a wall/slab etc.? I can add them, but cannot void anything. Also, can we still use them back a an IfcOpeningElement? We need to manage them with psets etc.