AEC Free Software directory: (https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=AEC_Free_Software_directory)

Comments

• *open source BIMTester
    *open source File::IFC Perl library Development Tools
    *open source IFC Clash
    *open source IFC COBie
    *open source IFC Diff
    *open source BlenderBIM Model Authoring
    *open source Assimp (Open Asset Import Library) Development Tools
    *open source (CDDL) xBIM Toolkit Development Tools
    *open source CMDBuild READY2USE - IT Assets & Services ,Management
    *open source (GNU AGPL) openMAINT Facility Management
    *open source (GNU GPL3) BCFier BCF client
    *open source (GNU LGPL) IfcOpenShell Development Tools
    *open source (GNU LGPL) OpenStudio Building Energy Modeling
    *open source (GNU LGPL2+ & CC-BY-3.0) FreeCAD Model Authoring
    *open source (GNU LGPL2.1) bcfplugin Development Tools
    *open source (MIT) BIMsurfer WebGL viewer
    *open source (MIT) IfcSharp Development Tools
    *open source (MIT) IFC++ Development Tools Model Viewer

chuongpqvn
  • edited August 2020

GNU Octave, Software for simulation and analyzis. Good replacement for mathlab

• QElectroTech, FreePCB, TinyCAD, XCircuit, CircuitMaker, KiCAD, SimuLIDE, are software for electrical design

• CDRisk
    https://sourceforge.net/p/cdrisk/wiki/Home/
    Open Source, CDRisk is a project that aims to create a new CDR system, using AGI (Asterisk Gateway Interface) development, that works with transfers.
    Useful for determining the risk calculation, such as earthquakes, floods, lightning, fire, hacking, death, theft, demonstrations, etc.

JanF
  • Radiance
    https://www.radiance-online.org//
    Open Source, ALternative to Dialux or Lumion or similars, useful to lighting design / lightning analysis, part of the typical electrical plan design.

• ODS-Studio
    https://www.ods-engineering.com/tools/ods-studio/
    open source, multi-physics simulator

• CAELinux
    https://www.caelinux.com/
    open-source distribution based on Ubuntu, integrate multiple open source software mentioned here. should be the official OS for construction design.

• edited August 2020

List of computer simulation software
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_computer_simulation_software
    Free or open-source

Advanced Simulation Library - open-source hardware accelerated multiphysics simulation software.
    Algodoo - 2D physics simulator focused on the education market that is popular with younger users.
    ASCEND - open-source equation-based modelling environment.
    Cantera - chemical kinetics package.
    Celestia - a 3D astronomy program.
    CP2K - Open-source ab-initio molecular dynamics program.
    DWSIM - an open-source CAPE-OPEN compliant chemical process simulator.
    Elmer - an open-source multiphysical simulation software for Windows/Mac/Linux.
    Facsimile - a free, open-source discrete-event simulation library.
    FreeFem++ - Free, open-source, multiphysics Finite Element Analysis (FEA) software.
    Freemat - a free environment for rapid engineering, scientific prototyping and data processing using the same language as MATLAB and GNU Octave.
    Galatea - a multi-agent, multi-programming language, simulation platform.
    Gekko - simulation software in Python with machine learning and optimization
    GNU Octave - an open-source mathematical modeling and simulation software very similar to using the same language as MATLAB and Freemat.
    HASH - open-core multi-agent simulation software and package manager.
    JModelica.org is a free and open source software platform based on the Modelica modeling language.
    Mobility Testbed - an open-source multi-agent simulation testbed for transport coordination algorithms.
    NetLogo - an open-source multi-agent simulation software.
    ns-3 - an open-source network simulator.
    OpenFOAM - open-source software used for computational fluid dynamics (or CFD).
    OpenEaagles - multi-platform simulation framework to prototype and build simulation applications.
    OpenModelica - an open source modeling environment based on Modelica the open standard for modeling software.
    Open Source Physics - an open-source Java software project for teaching and studying physics.
    OpenSim - an open-source software system for biomechanical modeling.
    Physics Abstraction Layer - an open-source physics simulation package.
    Project Chrono - an open-source multi-physics simulation framework.
    Repast - agent-based modeling and simulation platform with versions for individual workstations and high performance computer clusters.
    SageMath - a system for algebra and geometry experimentation via Python.
    Scilab - free open-source software for numerical computation and simulation similar to MATLAB/Simulink.
    Simantics System Dynamics – used for modelling and simulating large hierarchical models with multidimensional variables created in a traditional way with stock and flow diagrams and causal loop diagrams.
    SimPy - an open-source discrete-event simulation package based on Python.
    Simulation of Urban MObility - an open-source traffic simulation package.
    SOFA - an open-source framework for multi-physics simulation with an emphasis on medical simulation.
    SU2 code - an open-source framework for computational fluid dynamics simulation and optimal shape design.
    Step - an open-source two-dimensional physics simulation engine (KDE).
    Tortuga - an open-source software framework for discrete-event simulation in Java.
    UrbanSim – an open-source software to simulate land use, transportation and environmental planning.

• edited August 2020

@jtm2020hyo great! thanks for collecting some resources for the project! Please check though if they're already on the list. (Spoiler alert: many of them are). It would take me while to go through your list. Would you like to work on the wiki so we can get it done together? I think all you have listed would find a home in one of the AEC resource directories. https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

If you think you have something that doesn't fit let me know and we can find a solution. The place for general discussion about the website organisation and design is this thread: https://community.osarch.org/discussion/114/osarch-website-design

• I've made a stub page for https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=OpenFOAM
    Feel free to help expand it.

• the wiki edition rules are similar to Wikipedia?

OpenDCL

OpenDCL is an interactive replacement to DCL (Dialog Control Language) for developing dialog boxes within AutoCAD using AutoLISP. OpenDCL is based on ObjectDCL, a commercial application by 3rd day Software that was released as open source under the GNU General Public License in 2006 by owner Chad Wanless. OpenDCL represents the combined work of the original authors and individuals who have contributed to the open source project on SourceForge at:
    http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/opendcl

• edited August 2020

Origami software for architecture marsian

https://langorigami.com/article/computational-origami/
    as NASA said, the future is coming, and we are close to mars, so this motive we will need origami software soon:

Design Tools

These links are for software that is primarily for origami design: you specify the shape or functionality that you want, and the software tool constructs the fold pattern and/or a 2D or 3D model of the result.

TreeMaker
    My own design tool for creating tree-like (branched) structures. I’ve not updated it in a while, but it’s still useful for getting a sense of the layout of efficient structures for such forms.
    ReferenceFinder
    My design tool for finding short folding sequences to give any combination of points or lines. Includes source code, making it relatively easy to port to other platforms (there was an iPhone port for a while, though it’s no longer on the iOS app store).
    ReferenceFinder Online
    Robby Kraft has written an online version of ReferenceFinder which, being web-based, should work from any platform.
    OrigamiDraw
    A crease pattern drawing/design tool from Akira Terao. Includes powerful functions like mirror folds, flatten, traditional bases, and export to Oripa, along with a complete implementation of the 7 axioms for drawing crease patterns. For iOS devices.
    Origami Mechanism Topology Optimizer
    Kazuko Fuchi and co-workers at AFRL have developed this Matlab program for origami mechanism design. The objective function is a desired displacement; it determines fold lines (on a user-defined grid) that produces the desired displacement.
    Edwin Peraza Hernandez’s Kinematic Simulation
    Edwin Peraza Hernandez’s Matlab codes for kinematic simulation of sharp-crease and smooth-fold origami.
    Tomohiro Tachi’s FreeForm Origami
    Tomohiro Tachi’s program allows you to grab and pull vertices of the 3D form and watch the corresponding crease pattern change in real time. It’s also useful for determining rigid foldability of existing patterns.
    Tomohiro Tachi’s Origamizer
    Constructs a crease pattern that, when folded, conforms to an arbitrary user-specified triangulated surface.
    Tomohiro Tachi’s Rigid Origami Simulator
    Performs simulation and analysis of (potentially) rigidly foldable origami mechanisms and allows 3D manipulation of the pattern on-screen.
    Jun Mitani’s ORIPA
    ORIPA is a pattern editor for origami that provides a visual rendering of the folded form. The file format is starting to see adoption by other computational tools.
    Jun Mitani’s ORI-REVO
    Jun Mitani’s interactive Java tool for constructing surfaces of revolution, including both crease patterns with rotational symmetry (like the “Origami Flanged Pot” demonstration above) as well as rectangular-translational symmetry. See a demonstration video here.
    Jun Mitani’s ORI-REF
    Yet another cool tool from Mitani-san. This one generates curved folds whose folds are planar in 3D by repeatedly reflecting a curved surface through a user-definable plane.
    Alex Bateman’s Tessellations
    Alex Bateman’s web page that includes extensive information about origami tessellations and a downloadable program, Tess, for generating them.
    JOrigami
    An open source Java implementation of the “Fold and Cut” problem originally solved by Erik Demaine. Contains code and some good references on the problem.
    Nonlinear truss model with topology optimization
    Andrew Gilman’s MatLab code for designing origami mechanisms based on topology optimization.
    Wolfram Demonstrations
    The Wolfram demonstrations project includes several Mathematica notebooks for the creation of origami figures. I draw your attention to two that I’ve submitted:
        Origami Flanged Pots — An interactive tool that lets you define the cross section of a rotationally symmetric pot and generate the crease pattern and an image of the folded form.
        Interactive Rings Tessellation — Lets you define several characteristics of a rotationally symmetric simple flat twist tessellation and generate the crease pattern and image of the folded form.
    Analysis, Utilities, and API Tools

These links are for software that is primarily for analysis of existing origami patterns and useful utilities if you are building your own software for origami design or analysis.
        Glaucio Paulino and Chris Liu’s MERLIN, MERLIN2
        A Matlab package by Glaucio Paulino and his students for performing simulation within a truss-based model of origami mechanisms. Includes elastic energy, panel bending/deformation, analysis of nonlinear phenomena like snap-through, and more.
        FOLD format
        The specification for the Flexible Origami List Datastructure format developed by Erik Demaine, Jason Ku, and myself, as an interchange format for origami software. Converters written by Erik Demaine for many popular formats (e.g., Oripa); supported natively by MERLIN2, Origami Simulator, and more.
        Tessellatica
        My collection of Mathematica code for manipulating and analyzing origami forms. It’s open-source, but you’ll need Mathematica to use it.
        Amanda Ghassaei’s Origami Simulator
        A Javascript implementation of an origami folding simulator, based on a “truss model” and using the FOLD format.
        Rhino 3D
        Rhino 3D is a modeling tool for designers that has seen adoption by quite a few people for use in computational origami (do a search for the word “origami” on their website). Many of them use the Grasshopper plugin, which is a “generative modeler” for Rhino; put differently, it allows you to create structures algorithmically, using a visual editor.
    Computational Origamists

Modern research in origami modeling and algorithms almost certainly requires some level of programming, which, with the growth in interest in computational origami, means there are tens, if not hundreds of people who have done some level of programming. These are a few of the more prominent researchers who have developed and posted publicly available tools (see above for specifics).
        Erik Demaine (MIT)
        Erik Demaine is one of the leading computation origamists in the world; he and his co-authors have solved numerous computational origami problems, demonstrating both complexity classes and algorithms both existence-proving and efficient.
        Glaucio Paulino (Georgia Tech)
        Professor Paulino’s research focuses on computational mechanics and spans development of methodologies to characterize deformation and fracture behavior of existing and emerging materials and structural systems, topology optimization for large-scale and multiscale/multiphysics problems, and origami.
        Edwin Peraza-Hernandez (University of California Irvine)
        Professor Peraza Herandez’s research explores the modeling, analysis, and design aspects of morphing structures, especially those inspired by origami and tensegrity.
        Jun Mitani (University of Tsukuba)
        Professor Mitani has developed the theory and tools of many origami structures; you can see examples of them and his papers on his website.
        Tomohiro Tachi (University of Tokyo)
        Tomohiro Tachi has developed a number of origami computational tools and has developed fundamental theory in the area of rigid folding and the notoriously difficult field of thick origami.

Than
  • @jtm2020hyo said:
    the wiki edition rules are similar to Wikipedia?

Yes. Just add them to one of the resource lists. If you want to go a but further then make a page for them with a quick description and some resource links, add it to some categories (write in the other discussion if we're missing any)

• I added Baserow an open source no code on line database that can be self hosted using a number of databases. It is just getting off the ground (2 months old). I use Airtable so I was excited to see a potentially viable open source alternative. So far looks good.
    Also it seems to be confusing to people that the list is called the Free software directory but we mean the free and open source software directory.

Cyril
  • edited August 2020

@baswein said:
    Also it seems to be confusing to people that the list is called the Free software directory but we mean the free and open source software directory.

Yes, I think we need to talk about that.
    I also think that the definition of software for AECO is getting a bit diluted when you start adding generic database tools ...

• @duncan said:
    I also think that the definition of software for AECO is getting a bit diluted when you start adding generic database tools ...

True- We use Airtable for managing all of our projects as a team so it made sense to me to include Baserow but I can see how that is beyond the scope of the wiki. Remove it?

• @baswein said:

@duncan said:

True- We use Airtable for managing all of our projects as a team so it made sense to me to include Baserow but I can see how that is beyond the scope of the wiki. Remove it?

That's tricky isn't it? As you say you do actually use it. But we don't even have LibreOffice on the list - I guess people thought that's too generic. Maybe it's all in the wording? "Although x is a generic x it supports AECO workflows in the following way ..." For now how about expanding the description to justify it's placement. I'm not sure many people think of using a generic database in their small office / one person studio. If you get carried away with the description then make a page for it (everything package will need a page eventually so we can use categories effectively). Does that sound like a reasonable plan?

baswein
  • I agree that the list should not contain "generic" software, like LibreOffice. Those generic software are still useful to mention, but it should perhaps live in a separate list.

• @Moult said:
    I agree that the list should not contain "generic" software, like LibreOffice. Those generic software are still useful to mention, but it should perhaps live in a separate list.

I agree with using discrete lists. AEC may even want to be a list of software exclusive to that application, as the overlap areas are a slippery slope. "Software potentially useful in the AEC workspace" could, given the ingenuity of the AEC community, eventually encompass all FOSS software(!) - avoidable through some classification. Perhaps tags instead of separate threads, for a searchable database?

• I removed Baserow. Seems like it makes sense to keep the software list focused. If a non AEC specific software is mentioned as a step in a work flow should it be described some where in the wiki?
    I was also looking for way s to make the wiki more searchable and classifiable and came across the semantic plugin: https://www.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Introduction_to_Semantic_MediaWiki
    Has anyone used it?

• edited September 2020

if you allow me I would like to suggest separating each software for each BIM process (1D, 2D, 3D, 4D, 5D, 6D, 7D) a re-include software similar to LibreOffice, this because we could choose each software per each BIM process than we need.

...at the same time create a workflow similar to this:

PD: IHMO who created such a workflow is a genius.

CadGiruRWA108
  • PD: IHMO who created such a workflow is a genius.

:D

• The project Hypar says they have a Open Source Elements Library. No idea what about is this project, but I put the link here...
    https://hypar-io.github.io/Elements/Elements/WhatIsElements.html

JanF
  • I've created a new section in the directory
    https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=AEC_Free_Software_directory#Proprietary_software_and_OpenBIM
    and added
    https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=Autodesk_Inventor
    https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=Autodesk_Revit
    to a new category
    https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=Category:Proprietary_software
    So anyone should feel free to start adding tips and links to documentation on how to make proprietary software more OpenBIM friendly.

• @Moult said:
    I agree that the list should not contain "generic" software, like LibreOffice. Those generic software are still useful to mention, but it should perhaps live in a separate list.

For anyone watching this thread who missed it in another thread, there is now a page for opensource projects in general:
    https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=Open_source_software_beginners
    @baswein

• Regard3D
    http://www.regard3d.org/index.php
    It converts photos of an object, taken from different angles, into a 3D model of this object.

• @bitacovir looks great! It reminds me of COLMAP / VSFM. Would you mind adding it to the wiki?

paullee
  • @Moult said:
    @bitacovir looks great! It reminds me of COLMAP / VSFM. Would you mind adding it to the wiki?

Sir. Yes, sir!

duncan
  • edited November 2020

ProjeQtOr
    https://www.projeqtor.org/en/
    ProjeQtOr is a collaborative and free open source project management software. It's a tool designed to be a Project Organizer as a Rich Internet Application. Web based mode, once installed, you can work from the web browser.
    (Added to the list)

duncanReD_CoDE