Forum / wiki questions

edited April 2021 in General

I thought it may be useful to have a thread with general questions about the forum platform instead of being scattered around.

@Moult, first question - I can't find a way to unsubscribe from a specific thread. I found settings to control global notifications and emails but what if I want to keep global settings as they are stop receiving email notifications from a specific thread?

memoryofaboy

Comments

• The star on upper right hand corner ?

Moult
  • edited August 2020

@dimitar I think @paullee might be correct :) If that doesn't do it, let me know and I'll look deeper.

• edited September 2020

@Moult can you create more "categories" for this forum? I feel the volume of threads will soon grow too much that it will be hard to find a particular discussion. There should be some big categories, for example, "General" (like it is currently, anything goes), "Software" (for discussions about particular software packages), "BlenderBIM" (probably some people want to discuss specifically about BlenderBIM and IfcOpenShell), "Wiki" (meta discussions about structuring information in the wiki), and others.

theoryshaw
  • edited September 2020

@vocx I don't think separate categories would work. it assumes people have discipline about which discussion thay have in which thread... that is not my experience here or anywhere else. A system of tags would be better because it lets the discussion flow while also dropping a trail of tags. You could then browse the forum by thread or user or a certain tag. Anyway, my point is that if we can't use the correct thread for the original discussion then trying to do it across categories makes no sense to me. Better to just use the search function.
    PS. I have no idea if such a forum system exists.

Jesusbill
  • @vocx I've now added some "tags". When starting a thread, you can add tags. I've also assigned a few to get started. On the right sidebar of the homepage you can click on a tag and see only threads assigned with that tag. Hope it helps add some organisation.

@vocx would you like to be a forum admin? That way you can also help in managing / adding / editing tags?

Jesusbill
  • @duncan said:
    @vocx I don't think separate categories would work. it assumes people have discipline about which discussion they have in which thread...

To me it's more about having big "boxes" to categorize threads. The categories don't have to be perfect, just some spaces to more or less separate general topics. I am not opposed to a system of tags, but I still like the concept of general divisions for threads, for example, a wiki discussion would be about the structure of the information in the wiki, and would be very different from a discussion on the specifics of the latest release of BlenderBIM.

CadGiru
  • @Moult said:
    @vocx would you like to be a forum admin? That way you can also help in managing / adding / editing tags?

Thanks but I don't want to fully commit at the moment. I need to scale back my activities online.

• edited September 2020

There is something called Orange (data minig tool).
    https://orange.biolab.si/ (the text features of it)
    Can this tool run online realtime on a homepage? It is a kind of svertchok,grasshopper style filtering tool.. each of use would have its own profile? individual categories, tags or whatever, and interactiv and adaptiv at any time.. is that possible? or does it cost too much computing time..
    I have no clue about programming.
    Lukas

• Would be nice to introduce something like this... :)

duncan
  • @theoryshaw said:
    Would be nice to introduce something like this... :)

Vanilla has a rules plugin but i'm not sure policing is the right way to go.
    https://success.vanillaforums.com/kb/articles/180-community-rules
    For example I should probably be creating a Topic on Off Topic topic for this post as it seems to be about specific forum usage questions not meta questions about the forum. :)

• edited September 2020

btw, it was not my intention to infer that this particular forum post is off-topic. Just that I think, it would be nice to introduce a means within this forum, that one could 'tag' comments off topic, and collapsible, like the github example above.

baswein
  • edited September 2020

Posts now have a "flag" button. How about, if 2 people flag a post, it gets hidden. A hidden post looks like this.

An example of a hidden post.

theoryshaw
  • edited September 2020

@Moult has the ability to add reactions to posts been changed in some way? I can't add my reactions even though I'm an admin. Also, really good to see that one can still choose to read a 'hidden' post. I think 'censorship' has it's place, but it must also be transparent. (others can see it right, it's not just my elevated privileges?)

Moult
  • @duncan Adding reactions to posts haven't changed. I just added one to yours.

• @Moult I still can't add any, very odd. I feel like I'm half muted. Looked in the settings and can't find anything, where are they controlled?

• @theoryshaw somehow my setting for reactions was off, working again now.

baswein
  • I've activated the Split / Merge add-on. Now some of us (admins?) can split and merge discussions when that seems appropriate. https://blog.vanillaforums.com/product/split-merge-move-comments

MoultJanF
  • Added the 'discussion forum' tag

• edited November 2020

A heads up about the "email system quota" message people are seeing at the top of the forums. In short, we use Sendgrid to manage sending emails (since self-hosting an email delivery service can be a lot of maintenance work - speaking from personal experience). At the time, we were on the free tier of sending up to 100 emails per day. We've managed to keep within that limit for a while, but we have outgrown it. Unfortunately, we joined coincidentally at a time period when Sendgrid experienced a lot of new signups, some of which were malicious. As such, the Sendgrid account was put into a category for an extra thorough security audit, which is blocking our ability to upgrade beyond 100 emails per day.

I am working through with Sendgrid and hopefully this will be finally resolved within a few more days. The new plan is estimated to cost about 15USD per month.

During this migration process from old to authenticated Sendgrid account, there may be a period where email notifications are disabled.

• @Moult I have increased my subscription to your liberapay to provide a small support for the extra expenses. I do hope you are managing to handle all the related costs related to OSArch from the donations you receive. If that is not the case, I think this should be a topic to discuss and see how it can be handled effectively. It is also quite difficult to find the donation part in the website and there is not a way to donate specifically for the expenses of OSArch, maybe this could be something needed eventually

JanFbitacovirbasweinduncanpaullee
  • edited November 2020

@Jesusbill thank you so much! And also a big thank you to all the 14 other Liberapay donors! The current donation level is more than enough to cover hosting costs, domain fees, and also absorb the additional 15AUD (I think, not USD, it was not clear on the website) for the email service. In the interests of transparency, I think the wiki is a good page to document which developers are managing which infrastructure components, to help record non-time costs.

Actually, this is a good time to ping @dimitar - who I think owns the OSArch.org domain name. I'd like to check if:

1. Domain names are usually cheap and a non-issue financially, but just in case do you foresee any financial issues with the domain?
    2. How do you remember to renew the membership, is it on auto-renew, what date does it expire, can we help remind you to make sure it doesn't expire and we lose the domain? (I have had a credit card expire and then found out the hard way that a domain expired)
    duncanJesusbillpaullee
  • I think the wiki is a good page to document which developers are managing which infrastructure components, to help record non-time costs.

That kind of über transparency is great, and trust building.

Jesusbill
  • @Moult said:
    @Jesusbill thank you so much! And also a big thank you to all the 14 other Liberapay donors! The current donation level is more than enough to cover hosting costs, domain fees, and also absorb the additional 15AUD (I think, not USD, it was not clear on the website) for the email service. In the interests of transparency, I think the wiki is a good page to document which developers are managing which infrastructure components, to help record non-time costs.

Actually, this is a good time to ping @dimitar - who I think owns the OSArch.org domain name. I'd like to check if:

1. Domain names are usually cheap and a non-issue financially, but just in case do you foresee any financial issues with the domain?
    2. How do you remember to renew the membership, is it on auto-renew, what date does it expire, can we help remind you to make sure it doesn't expire and we lose the domain? (I have had a credit card expire and then found out the hard way that a domain expired)

It's something like 16 GBP per year so it's not an issue and the domain is indeed on auto-renew.

paulleeJanFduncanMoultJesusbill
  • edited November 2020

Trying to upload a jpeg via the wiki and get...

I'm logged in.

• @theoryshaw I've now given you upload access rights. It is disabled by default for members as a precaution against bot accounts.

Now that the bot accounts have disappeared after we put the fiendishly difficult and persistent CAPTCHA message, maybe it is time to reenable it for new accounts...

theoryshaw

• would be nice to cache this locally, so the user doesn't have to enter this every time.

• Also, suggest changing the topic title from 'Forum Questions' to 'Forum/Wiki Questions'... unless there's a post dedicated to the wiki that i missed.

Moult
  • #p-logo-text a {
        font-family: 'Lato',sans-serif;
    }

@media screen and (min-width: 851px)
        font-family: 'Lato',sans-serif;
    }

:)