If you're reading this, we've just migrated servers! If anything looks broken please email dion@thinkmoult.com :)

Getting the message out - Media

2»

Comments

• edited December 2020

@JanF I'm going to need a link.

Will you also add it here where I'm trying to document the current status of outreach: https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=Outreach
    You don't currently have access to those accounts. Which ones would you like access to? Please edit that page if it's missing something or to add more info.

CGR
  • @JanF said:
    @duncan @Jesusbill I think the Deck app looks great for this purpose, I added you two in the LinkedIn management group, did you see it?

Not really, I did not

• https://courantlibre.biminsight.ch/index.php/apps/deck/#/board/14/details
    Try this, but I think you must have gotten an email when Cyril added you.

• Working now, thanks @JanF & @Cyril but I didn't find the email, my browser remember the password for the site (i've now written it down) ;-)

@Jesusbill we have a problem with LinkedIn in that it's a closed platform. So normal posts are not public right? I'm also having problems re-sharing some types of posts from the osarch LinkedIn account. It complains about attachments, but not always. Can you explain what that's about. It's a shame that a company account can't react to posts. So maybe keeping both accounts is not so stupid. For now I've changed the other account name to "Support OSArch" and try and avoid using it (it's a bit confusing).

Are we really in this thread discussing long-form articles and blog-posts? Small posts to LinkedIn, Twitter & Mastodon don't really need approval in my opinion. If people who want to use it for their own pet project don't overuse it it, and someone takes ownership of going through and sharing relevant contant a few times a week - that seems to me to be fine. At least I hope it is because I've made plenty of posts and re-shares and likes on Twitter without asking anyone. But if we want to write longer form articles then social media are not really the best place for them. LinkedIn requires an account and Twitter and Mastodon don't work for long texts. @Moult the osarch.org is just wordpress right? So it's easy to give publisher access to post blog entries? Then we re-post/share/link from all our accounts.

• We need a nice image for someone who want to contribute a couple of hours:

It'd be great with a single image at the top of the https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=AEC_Free_Software_directory with lots of software logo - a good mix of ones people know and ones they don't. At the moment when we share a link to the directory from LinedIn it takes no image and takes the text from AppleSeed (any idea why appleseed @Jesusbill ?). One reason I want this is that I think the directory should rank higher in our page hit stats. That's the page that helps people discover new software.

I'm thinking the image might as well be wide, compact and high res. Then it should scale well.

Sound like a way you could help out?

CGR
  • @duncan said:
    Are we really in this thread discussing long-form articles and blog-posts? Small posts to LinkedIn, Twitter & Mastodon don't really need approval in my opinion. If people who want to use it for their own pet project don't overuse it it, and someone takes ownership of going through and sharing relevant contant a few times a week - that seems to me to be fine. At least I hope it is because I've made plenty of posts and re-shares and likes on Twitter without asking anyone. But if we want to write longer form articles then social media are not really the best place for them.

Yeah my idea is to basically write short posts (two three paragraphs) recommending os apps from the directory. I think that to be worthy of following we have to create some content, not just repost news and articles we find interesting. (This is particular to LinkedIn, I believe it is what people are looking for there and some people post whole articles this way, it is of course completely different to how Twitter works)

• @JanF right but we can repost our own articles we host on our own blog where everyone can see them right?

• @duncan yep osarch.org is just wordpress, I can add editor rights to whoever wants to help write posts.

• @duncan I guess the posts on the blog should be a bit longer? Maybe not. Check out the post about Krita I set up to review on Deck, that is the kind I had in mind.

• Can I get an account somewhere to access deck?

• @Moult said:
    Can I get an account somewhere to access deck?

I would like that too.

• @JanF said:
    @duncan I guess the posts on the blog should be a bit longer? Maybe not. Check out the post about Krita I set up to review on Deck, that is the kind I had in mind.

I think they should be as short or as long as people want to write.

• @duncan the blog posts should be a minimum of 300 words, for the purposes of SEO optimisation.

JanF
  • @Moult you should have access now
    @Cyril is it ok if we use your system like this and continue adding people or should we just test it out and find a different place to host it?

• @duncan sorry for the late reply. Not sure what problems you have with the posts/attachments in general. To me it seems to work ok.
    Regarding other posts it is indeed possible to share them with the company account, you have to select the "account" from the top of the dialog window.

At the moment when we share a link to the directory from LinedIn it takes no image and takes the text from AppleSeed (any idea why appleseed @Jesusbill ?)

No idea really what is AppleSeed.

• @JanF said:
    @Moult you should have access now
    @Cyril is it ok if we use your system like this and continue adding people or should we just test it out and find a different place to host it?

No worry. My server is not overloaded. If at some point it becomes overloaded (unlikely) we'll see if we need to upgrade or move it.

• Ok great can you please add @bruno_perdigao as well then? Thanks

• @JanF said:
    Ok great can you please add @bruno_perdigao as well then? Thanks

Sure just pm me his email.

• @Cyril said:

@JanF said:
    Ok great can you please add @bruno_perdigao as well then? Thanks

Sure just pm me his email.

I just sent you. Thanks

• @CGR was that an offer to help?
    @Jesusbill Appleseed is one of the apps on the software directory. No idea why LinkedIn thinks it's so interesting.

• I've been listening to some podcast episodes at https://sustainoss.org/ and they're really interesting for anyone who want to make OSArch project last and grow. There are two important things there recently which I think we should learn from. One is re funding, so I'll add it to that thread. The other is the importance of putting articles on other sites and not just our own. It makes perfect sense. At the moment our own site doesn't get huge amounts of traffic.

So where do people read about the topics we cover? I'm talking to Ralph Grabowski from upFront.eZine to hear if he would like an article from us.

Does anyone know Lachmi Khemlani or someone else from AECbytes?

• edited November 2021

@JanF said:
    https://courantlibre.biminsight.ch/index.php/apps/deck/#/board/14/details
    Try this, but I think you must have gotten an email when Cyril added you.

Reviving this for LinkedIn posts, since @Jesusbill has requested cooperation on them.
    Ping also @duncan @Moult @bruno_perdigao

duncan