OSArch "badge" icons

Blender has a community badge , and FSF has something similar.

What are the thoughts of having an "OSArch" badge, that projects and companies can place on their websites to indicate that they are in support of OSArch initiatives? I would love to publicly declare that BlenderBIM Add-on is only part of a greater whole that is solving the proprietary AEC issue. Perhaps FreeCAD feels the same way?

paulleeduncanSigmaDimensionstlang

Comments

• edited May 2021

@Moult said:
    Perhaps FreeCAD feels the same way?

That question is for https://forum.freecadweb.org/

paullee
  • @Moult @bitacovir Any idea someone has prepare something similar for OSArch, BlenderBIM, FreeCAD etc. ?

• @paullee said:
    @Moult @bitacovir Any idea someone has prepare something similar for OSArch, BlenderBIM, FreeCAD etc. ?

I understand the Blender's community badge (they needed it to differentiate official Blender content from third party content). But I don't understand Moult idea for OSArch, etc, yet.

• edited May 2021

I see, there is an 'official' logo for Blender, and a 'community badge'.

• So, FreeCAD Logo maybe be 'owned' by an organisation (not 'officially' set up yet right?) which govern the development of FreeCAD software, the forum etc.

• And a 'FreeCAD Community Badge' for peoples to add to their models, tutorials created by FreeCAD.

Hope I get the idea right :)

duncan
  • What I had in mind is that right now, if someone wants to advertise that they support OSArch, there isn't really any branding pack / icons they can use. If the BlenderBIM Add-on wants to say "we are part of the OSArch ecosystem and support OSArch", I don't know what logo to show.

So some sort of "community support" badge, like people who show that they are part of the FSF.

paulleeduncan
  • @Moult said:
    "we are part of the OSArch ecosystem and support OSArch"

Is this in wiki the vision ?
    "We help create the built environment with free software, increased transparency, and a more ethical approach."

Maybe this / a link should be shown somewhere promonent in www.osarch.org ? (BTW, find no link in this community.osarch.org back to 'main' page")

• @Moult said:
    What I had in mind is that right now, if someone wants to advertise that they support OSArch, there isn't really any branding pack / icons they can use. If the BlenderBIM Add-on wants to say "we are part of the OSArch ecosystem and support OSArch", I don't know what logo to show.

So some sort of "community support" badge, like people who show that they are part of the FSF.

What I see is a partnership between FreeCAD ArchBIM WB + BenderBIM Addon + OSArch. If you want to show you are part of this partnership or you support these initiatives as Open Source AEC vanguard, maybe you could show a badge like this?

paullee
  • edited May 2021

I like the general idea! Here's a quick mock-up from a tired man with the wrong font installed.

I think the way to do this is to encourage projects to show their suppo0rt like Dion says. Putting our name / brand behind a specific small group of solutions just makes us the a+b+c project group. If we do that we make it hard to grow and be an umbrella for so many other projects that are on their own now. IFC.js, Speckle, LadyBug ... there are so many tools. So let's offer a badge projects can use to point to osarch and osarch keeps the big list of projects, the meetups, the social media accounts and so on to support whatever projects deserve support.

paulleeLaurensJNDADA_universeMeetlat
  • edited May 2021

It's been 10 minutes and I've been thinking. A BlenderBIM + FreeCAD + OSArch logo like @bitacovir seems to suggest would of course be fine for that project group to use. I'm just in the corner fighting for OSArch to be it's own thing and be more than just a forum where two star status projects meet. We're growing and we're making friends, so let's make sure everyone feels equally welcome - even people who might think BlenderBIM and FreeCAD aren't interesting.

LaurensJN
  • Maybe it makes sense to have a "OSArch + Project" icon, where projects can insert their own icon in addition to OSArch. That way some co-branding can happen.

Agree that it is much more than just 3 projects. OSArch has impacted many more projects, some in small ways, some in big ways, but we have made an impact.

paulleeduncan
  • "OSArch + Project" seems better in terms of collaboration and identification :)

Does it make sense 'OSArch Initiatives' ?

• I'm afraid "OSArch Initiative" might sound as though FreeCAD was "initiated by OSArch" which is not true. "OSArch Supporter" or "Part of the OSArch Network" or "OSArch Member" or something might be safer.

paulleechunchkduncan
  • I like where this is going. This might be version one of an 'affiliates' system. Anyproject which chooses to show the osarch logo somewhere is announcing themselves as a supporter. We already have a list of individual supporters, this would be projects/organizations showing support.

paullee
  • I think we can do a badge design thread like what we done for the OSarch logo to find the design direction
    Before having a set of badge design, I think we need to decide the Terms first. I personally like "OSArch Supporter" / "OSArch Contributor" / "OSArch Corp. Supporter" ....

paulleeMoult
  • edited June 2021

At the moment I feel like we have supporters and not much else. I would suggest we "protect" the idea of being a contributor or corporate supporter until we have defined what they mean.

paulleeMoult
  • Following the idea of @Nigel

What about a QR code with a logo like this?

Ace
  • @Coen did you post this to the wrong thread? It sounds like you're replying to this discussion: https://community.osarch.org/discussion/876/osarch-brand-usage-guidelines
    Shall we move the discussion back to that thread? Looks good by the way.

Coen