Blender: quick way to measure

Is there currently a quick way to measure a distance like the one illustrated below? Whether it be through a plugin or natively?

Comments

• Using CAD Transform without any selected objects.

Ace
  • Hmm, cool, I'll have to dig deeper on how.

• I almost always measure by just grabbing a vert or edge, having snaps enabled (I always enable multiple snaps, like vertex, edge, face, center, and perpendicular - you can use shift-tab to quickly toggle snaps) and simply use (g) to move constrained to an axis.

• @Moult said:
    I almost always measure by just grabbing a vert or edge, having snaps enabled (I always enable multiple snaps, like vertex, edge, face, center, and perpendicular - you can use shift-tab to quickly toggle snaps) and simply use (g) to move constrained to an axis.

The problem is when you don't have a vertex to use as reference. Like the center of that bolt.

• @bitacovir sometimes, snapping to edge midpoint (like in that bolt) will work. If not, I quickly create a vertex by selecting the face, doing Shift-S-2 to snap cursor to selected, then Shift-A to add a single vertex (enable extra meshes add-on). Then I use that vertex.

• I sometimes use ctrl + right click to add a vertex in edit mode, when nothing is selected.
    If something is selected, ctrl + right click will extrude geometry to the point. Very useful.

• @stephen_l said:
    Using CAD Transform without any selected objects.

holy shit, that's it! :)

Moult
  • @theoryshaw said:

@stephen_l said:
    Using CAD Transform without any selected objects.

holy shit, that's it! :)

The thought behind a lot of Stephen's work elicits a similar reaction from me every now and then, it's like he has a laser focus on pain points and is clinically nixing them one by one, while making it look easy. Thank you @stephen_l !

MoultJesusbillbaswein