BlenderBIM, Is a wall in a ifc-file based on a wire or based on a face or just a bound of faces

edited September 2021 in General

I assume this can be found in BlenderBIM, but how?

If it is based on a wire. Where can the wall thickness be found and changed?

a sample ifc file is attached ...

cheers bernd

Comments

• edited September 2021

Hello Bernd, Just guessing ti see if i can understand something :)
    Wall on line 62 for example has 2 representation. One Is the body and One Is the axis.
    The body Is an extrudedareasolid, based on a rectangle that has a thickness of 0.15m. so if you want to change the thickness you should change that parameter at line 49.
    The axis Is a 2 point polyline, defined at row 57, and has anything to do with the definition of the body representation and so with the thickness.
    I dont see in the file any informations about the material, so the thickness of the Wall seems only to be represented in the Wall body...

Hope i didn't write any wrong thing :)

• edited September 2021

@carlopav said:
    Wall on line 62 for example has 2 representation. One Is the body and One Is the axis.
    The body Is an extrudedareasolid, based on a rectangle that has a thickness of 0.15m. so if you want to change the thickness you should change that parameter at line 49.
    The axis Is a 2 point polyline, defined at row 57, and has anything to do with the definition of the body representation and so with the thickness.
    I dont see in the file any informations about the material, so the thickness of the Wall seems only to be represented in the Wall body...

This is what I know from all my ifc knowledge too. :-)

But I am interested to know how this information could be retrieved and changed in BlenderBIM gui?

paulleecarlopav
  • The IFC material Type of the IFC wall gives it it's thickness, you can change it from there

• where do I find this in Blender BIM? Do you have a screen?

• Here is a screenshot ^

• And here is a video showing how IFC Object materials are created in BlenderBim:

• AceAce
    edited September 2021

You can also just load from the IFC library that is available and just edit the wall materials found there
    The attached file is just my naming scheme you can download the latest libraries here:
    https://github.com/IfcOpenShell/IfcOpenShell/tree/v0.6.0/src/blenderbim/libraries

• @Ace said:

Here is a screenshot ^

Which version of BlenderBIM is that?

• I'm running 12.09.2021

Normally I'm on the daily build,
    but this featureset has been there since 22.05.2021

• You can find the latest build here:
    https://github.com/IfcOpenShell/IfcOpenShell/releases
    download the py39 version of whatever OS you use

• Is it possible to roundtrip the thickness of an IfcWall with IfcWallType in BlenderBIM? If not, what's a good way to store a thickness parameter for a wall in IFC?

• @Coen the thickness should always be roundtripped :)

Coen
  • @Moult said:
    @Coen the thickness should always be roundtripped :)

My phrasing of the question was a bit unfortunate, let me try again:
    Is it possible to drive the width of a IfcWall with a type paramter stored in IFC? Hope I explain myself clear.

• @Coen yes, the wall type has a material layer set which parametrically defines the thickness of the wall type. All occurrences of that wall type inherit the material layers, and so also inherit the thickness. Changing the type thickness will change all the occurrences too.

Coen
  • @Moult

Cool :-D, I should look into that

• more details mentioned here.

Coen