If you're reading this, we've just migrated servers! If anything looks broken please email dion@thinkmoult.com :)

[BEM, Topologic] BIM Energy Modeling

Comments

• @topologic I was using this method and I had problems with making DeepCopys because SubTopologies were then disconnected from the original topology.

• @agonzalezesteve said:
    @topologic I was using this method and I had problems with making DeepCopys because SubTopologies were then disconnected from the original topology.

Yup understood. Yes, a deepcopy copies from the topology downards, but obviously cannot keep it linked to its constituent parents because the parent cannot have duplicate children that occupy exactly the same location. It is a new and different child.

• @topologic said:
    Question: Can one do energy modelling (heating/cooling loads, thermal comfort etc) within Blender? For example using the ladybug tools? Or is that done outside Blender? If not available, is there value to do that within Blender (thinking of porting my TopologicEnergy Code to Blender this summer, but not sure it is worth the time and effort if other solutions exist).

All I've seen is vi suite which I believe uses older versions of blender. It would be great to have more options. It sounded like there was a effort to port energy modeling from Ladybug tools @Moult?

• @edwinguerra said:
    All I've seen is vi suite which I believe uses older versions of blender. It would be great to have more options. It sounded like there was a effort to port energy modeling from Ladybug tools @Moult?

Is there anyone on here willing to collaborate with me on porting TopologicEnergy to Blender/sverchok. We have ported it once from Maxscript to C++ and to Dynamo and now with openstudio downloadable as a python module, it should be fairly straightforward to port the code to python and to enhance it.

• @topologic said:
    Question: Can one do energy modelling (heating/cooling loads, thermal comfort etc) within Blender? For example using the ladybug tools? Or is that done outside Blender? If not available, is there value to do that within Blender (thinking of porting my TopologicEnergy Code to Blender this summer, but not sure it is worth the time and effort if other solutions exist).

Yes. You can. I think right now there is two prototypes: a ladybug module developed by @Moult and Vi-Suite
    But both with not to much development.
    https://blenderbim.org/download.html
    https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=VI-Suite

• Ladybug Tools consist of a few systems, branded as Ladybug, Honeybee, Butterfly, and Dragonfly. Of the four, only Ladybug has been ported, then I lost the momentum. Ladybug does not do energy modeling. Honeybee does, but is not yet ported.

• I think that a port of the ladybug suite (with honeybee, butterfly and dragonfly) would be a game changer for the opensource arch workflow. So if anyone would be willing to develop the port that would be awesome.

edwinguerra
  • @Sinasta I agree. Perhaps @kaiaurelienzh can help contribute, as he is now on the journey to looking at implementing Sverchok IFC nodes?

victorklixto
  • @Moult @Sinasta
    I'll do what I can but no promises! Added to the list.

Agreed that having the full LBT suite in Blender would be very nice. Esp considering blender is already a mesh based modeller, the synergy with energy analysis could be stronger than with Rhino.

victorklixto
  • That would be an incredible advantage for the opensource world! Im not at all experienced in coding but i could definitly help with testing and debugging. I don't know if that could help you but Vi-Suite is maybe an interesting example of radiance/openfoam analysis in blender https://github.com/rgsouthall/vi-suite061

• edited July 2021

@Sinasta there is an existing Ladybug Tools which you can help test. You can download it from the https://blenderbim.org website.

• @Moult Thanks for the advice! I already tested iy when you published it last summer. But it hasnt been developed any further since then no?

• @Sinasta unfortunately no, it hasn't changed at all since.

• First Success. What you are looking at is an .osm file that has been parsed and converted through a @topologicBIM python script to a #brep and displayed in #b3d using the python SDK of #openstudio. My plan this summer is to port my TopologicEnergy code to #b3d and #sverchok

MeetlatAldostephen_lbasweinedwinguerraMoultvictorklixto
  • edited September 2021

Hi everyone. Just in case you missed the following on Twitter and linked in, I created three videos that show you how to create an energy model from scratch in Blender and simulate it using openstudio/E+. If you are an expert Blender 3D modeller, first don't laugh and second you can fast forward through the modelling steps :)

And these are the nodes that are available thus far:

CGRpaulleebitacoviredwinguerraJesusbillkaiaurelienzhAldobaswein
  • A full LBT suite in Blender would be a new tool for architects > @topologic said:

Hi everyone. Just in case you missed the following on Twitter and linked in, I created three videos that show you how to create an energy model from scratch in Blender and simulate it using openstudio/E+. If you are an expert Blender 3D modeller, first don't laugh and second you can fast forward through the modelling steps :)

This is totally awesome! I don't know other open source tool for Energy Modelling. I always thought Blender could contain a wide workflow from modelling to analysis. With nodes integrated into svershock you can work in different areas without switch between software or workbenches.

topologic
  • Blenders great but I'm in awe of all the clever people who do stuff with it.
    Is there a way of doing 2D conduction heat-transfer analysis like THERM in Blender?

topologic
  • @Nigel said:
    Is there a way of doing 2D conduction heat-transfer analysis like THERM in Blender?

I have never used it but Energy2D is in wiki FOSS directory.

• edited September 2021

I have added two presentations about automatic generation of spaces and space boundaries from IBPSA Building Simulation 2021 Conference.

• @Moult said:
    @agonzalezesteve I also think it's a great idea to allow BlenderBIM to bring in IFCs, enrich them (e.g by cleaning up or adding IfcRelSpaceBoundary), and then output to different engines. One example would be to output to gbXML for OpenStudio, and another would be to output to Honeybee-JSON for Ladybug Tools / Pollination. I've heard that Honeybee-JSON addresses many of the shortcomings of gbXML, so @Cyril would you like to investigate that instead of inventing a new XML type? I still think supporting gbXML is useful as a base case.

Here's a utility I've started playing with, not sure what it will evolve into, which takes IfcSpaces which have wall thickness gaps between them, and offsets the space surfaces as necessary to the midpoint of the wall thickness: https://github.com/IfcOpenShell/IfcOpenShell/commit/eb0f2de197c94e18d6eed83e56351e1c189e07ed

Original:

After cleanup tool:

Hi @Moult, correct me if I am wrong but this utility is not available in ifcOpenShell-python.

Ace
  • @devngc correct, that utility is a pure Blender utility and works on Blender geometry, not IFC geometry. Sorry.

• The above utility will be great for Topologic because I can take the result and pipe it to TopologicEnergy and from there to openstudio or gbxml directly. Is this utility something that can be easily installed in Blender? or can you send me the resulting geometry so I can test the workflow? Thanks.

edwinguerra
  • @topologic just start a fresh Blender session (no IFC needed), duplicate a cube a few times slightly spaced apart, select them all, then press "Snap Spaces Together" in the sidebar. They'll stick together.

edwinguerratopologic
  • Hi everyone. Just to let you know that TopologicEnergy with openstudio/EnergyPlus seems fully functional on Ubuntu!

paulleeCyrilbitacovir
  • Look forward similar tools will be available in FreeCAD, @yorik mention Ladybug tools are used there, I have no idea how to use it though.

topologic
  • @paullee said:
    Look forward similar tools will be available in FreeCAD, @yorik mention Ladybug tools are used there, I have no idea how to use it though.

It is high-time I create a workbench in FreeCAD. I’ll try to restart that effort. The base code will be almost exactly the same. Just the interface layer will change. Anyone with expertise in workbenches is welcome to help.

paullee
  • Hey @paullee,

What's your usecase for Ladybug tools?

• @Moult said:
    @topologic just start a fresh Blender session (no IFC needed), duplicate a cube a few times slightly spaced apart, select them all, then press "Snap Spaces Together" in the sidebar. They'll stick together.

HI @Moult I tested it on a real project from Revit, but sadly the results were not great. Please see before and after images.
    Before:

After: (notice overlaps, gaps, and distortion of orthogonal spaces)

• @devngc said:
    Hey @paullee,

What's your usecase for Ladybug tools?

In fact, I just learned some brief introduction or discussion in FreeCAD / OSArch and would like to try what it can /help.

Maybe thermal transmission, daylight analysis, insulation performance ? :)