If you're reading this, we've just migrated servers! If anything looks broken please email dion@thinkmoult.com :)

[Topologic] Redefining BIM through Spatial Topology, Information, and Grammars

Comments

• JQLJQL
    edited November 2021

Now I have it inactive again: topologic nodes are highlighted red and there's no topologic under add menu.

EDIT:
    Extra info

• I tried disabling and enabling and the error poped up. I tried restarting blender and the error poped up again. I had to uninstal Topologic and reinstall it and now it works again... I won't close Blender again until the workshop starts. :)

• @JQL said:
    I tried disabling and enabling and the error poped up. I tried restarting blender and the error poped up again. I had to uninstal Topologic and reinstall it and now it works again... I won't close Blender again until the workshop starts. :)

Topologic complains if it is disabled and re-enabled in the same session, but if you installed activated Sverchok, installed and activated BlenderBIM and installed and activated Topologic then it should all work fine. You can quit Blender and restart it and all the add-ons will be activated and ready for you.
    May I ask: Are you new to Blender?

• Not entirely new...

I use it for some workflows that are related to the conceptual stages of our models, and I have modeled with it in the past but only for testing purposes. I didn't follow up on that as I find that accurate modeling with it is very awkward and feels cumbersome to me. There is also a couple of other features that I dislike.

Sverchok and now Topologic might change it totally for me though.

topologic
  • @JQL said:
    Not entirely new...

I use it for some workflows that are related to the conceptual stages of our models, and I have modeled with it in the past but only for testing purposes. I didn't follow up on that as I find that accurate modeling with it is very awkward and feels cumbersome to me. There is also a couple of other features that I dislike.

Sverchok and now Topologic might change it totally for me though.

Great :) Hopefully it will hold up until the workshop. I need to look at whether the configuration files for topologicsverchok are not 100% correct. One should be able to disable and re-enable it with no issues.

• Thanks a lot, it was great! Very well prepared.

topologictheoryshawtlang
  • Hi everyone. Here is the link to the videos of the Topologic workshop in 4 parts. The link to download the material including the final workflow is displayed inside the first video

paulleeJQLJesusbillLaurensJN
  • @topologic said:
    Hi everyone. Here is the link to the videos of the Topologic workshop in 4 parts. The link to download the material including the final workflow is displayed inside the first video

Thanks for posting the video for peoples like me not at same timezone :) Very useful to understand the workflow and capabilities indeed !

First thing catch my attention is only 3 peoples use Linux VS 28 use Windows. Had not installed any Windows probably > 10 years at home, the last Windows is Vista on a laptop (broken long ago) :D Hope Topologic would be installed in Linux / FreeCAD easier in future.

Then the attempt mentioned to generate wall with thickness from 'CellComplex' and discussions at other threads. Hope some effort can work together - in FreeCAD, one can make a simple 2d Sketch of the CellComplex, and use ArchWall to make the wall with thickness. The same Sketch can also be extruded to make the 'CellComplex'.

topologic
  • Thanks @paullee . As far as I know, installing Topologic is exactly the same on Windows, MacOS, and Linux. You download the ZIP and install it as an add-on in Blender like all other add-ons. Just a couple of clicks. The prior difficulties are all gone since we switched to pybind11
    If you want to use it in FreeCAD, you can use it as a pure python module but there isn’t a GUI workbench for it. If you are interested in that, you can grab it out of homemaker and just import it and start using it in a python script.
    ArchWall etc in FreeCAD is essentially the same. We both use opencascade breps. The problem is not in thickening a generic wall. The problem is in how to create the best and most conformant representations for IFC.

JQLpaullee
  • Thanks for the video @topologic .
    It was very difficult for me to follow up everything, while trying to find my way around Blender and also discussing with the Energy Efficiency engineer sitting next to me. The videos will be great.

topologic
  • @JQL said:
    Thanks for the video @topologic .
    It was very difficult for me to follow up everything, while trying to find my way around Blender and also discussing with the Energy Efficiency engineer sitting next to me. The videos will be great.

Yes. It is difficult to watch the webinar and actually do it at the same time. I usually listen and take notes and then do the steps later at my own pace.
    Let me know if you are planning to use Topologic for Energy Analysis!

• JQLJQL
    edited November 2021

We are. I'm planning on changing my conceptual workflow so that the iteraction between architectural concept and energy analysis is streamlined enough that it can actually affect design decisions while we are designing. I feel the current process we have is a bit awkward, where we have to finish a design and then test it out, while we should be able to test it out much faster without finishing it . We should analyse while iterating as today this should be a condition for good design.

I'm also thinking, and I think we have largely discussed that already. that conceptually a building is a set of spaces that form volumes and apertures that connect them, just as Topologic is able to describe it. Dealing with that with direct modeling is very fast and easy.
    It just gets more complex if the volumes are actual wall, door and window models.

It would be great if we would be capable of using topologic to deal with those building elements and thicken the best design option we have automatically without having us loosing time with doing that kind of stuff at the initial stages of the project.

If this process would be streamlined we could invest more in design thinking and less in execution at the initial stages.

At more advanced stages I'm not that worried about topologic as direct modelling is what I need in order to finetune all building elements. Design thinking is no longer that much concerned in the general idea and organization of the building but on the actual design of it's elements and topologic might overcomplicate things.

So I'm willing to see how I could have this workflow where playing around with volumes and apertures for a week would be able to pull several conceptual designs, while iterating with energy efficiency and then, at the end of the week I would click a button and present something that acually resembles a building with walls that people can understand that is able to get built, instead of a set of colored lego bricks on top of each other.

The problem I have is that I don't have much time to play with this.

topologicbrunopostle
  • @JQL This is music to my ears. This is exactly what we are hoping to accomplish. You can certainly do direct modelling in Blender and run the analysis in Topologic. Then at the end, you can perhaps hack @brunopostle’s homemaker to thicken the building into something more Architectural looking but using more modern building elements.
    @brunopostle: Would you be willing and do you have the time to add a “modern” style to homemaker with generic windows, doors, parapets and columns etc?

• JQLJQL
    edited November 2021

Maybe I can work with @brunopostle to create the elements for that other "modern" style. I wouldn't mind that at all.
    Is homemaker ready for windows?

I just want to avoid modeling in Blender. I really think it's too difficult to do what needs to be done accurately. I will try working in a way that I can import a model into it.

topologic
  • Yes I helped @brunopostle build it on Windows sometime ago. It is in his release.
    Yeah you can model in anything, save it to brep and your topologic definition would start with Topology.ByImportedBrep so you save to same file and re-trigger the energy analysis workflow

• I am very interested in this same workflow @JQL. Right now I am trying to achieve this by thickening everything in Sverchok, but it is still a little overwhelming to me.

@JQL said:
    Maybe I can work with @brunopostle to create the elements for that other "modern" style. I wouldn't mind that at all.
    Is homemaker ready for windows?

I just want to avoid modeling in Blender. I really think it's too difficult to do what needs to be done accurately. I will try working in a way that I can import a model into it.

I could help with that too. Homemaker is working in Windows, I already tested it.

• @JQL @topologic I tried a 'modernist' style, but it didn't look any good, probably I didn't put my heart into it. Also the trad stuff is more difficult, so it is a better environment for developing and testing the code.

Yes please contribute different styles that can be bundled with the add-on. They don't need to be configured, I just need the assets and wall thicknesses and I'll put something together.

Currently the assets are DXF polyface manifold meshes and 2D closed polylines for extruded profiles (each asset can be several objects, they don't need to be a single mesh or polyline). Though I can convert any reasonable blender model (ultimately everything will be native IFC Project Library, but I'm not there yet).

Homemaker doesn't support curtain walls (yet), so doors and windows are cut into rectangular holes in solid walls. IFC doesn't support stretching assets to fit, so each window or door needs to be a set of height variations, and if the width varies then there needs to be a height for each width.

JQL
  • Hi @brunopostle can I have access to a set of DXF files that I can use as reference to replace.

I read the link you posted about 3d objects and 2d profiles but without examples I can't understand what to do.

• @JQL the existing assets are the DXF files in this folder, which you can also find in the add-on installation as homemaker/molior/style/share/.

This is a typical window, basically everything you need to fill a rectangular opening cut in a wall. This window fits a 0.91x1.82 metre hole, the other windows in this set are 0.91x1.025, 0.91x1.445 & 0.91x2.23 metre, but windows in a style can be any size you like.

I modelled this as a single manifold, but it could also have been separate manifolds for the sashes and cill etc... As and when I switch to using IFC assets each manifold can have a separate material, but currently everything has to be the same material.

This is the parapet profile that is extruded around the edge of flat roofs, this is three closed polylines:

There are lots of possibilities, extrusions can be added to the tops and bottoms of wall sections, or they could be any object repeated. Every possible connection detail between a vertical surface and a roof or soffit below or above can have a different detail/profile.

• @topologic said:
    Thanks @paullee . As far as I know, installing Topologic is exactly the same on Windows, MacOS, and Linux. You download the ZIP and install it as an add-on in Blender like all other add-ons. Just a couple of clicks. The prior difficulties are all gone since we switched to pybind11
    If you want to use it in FreeCAD, you can use it as a pure python module but there isn’t a GUI workbench for it. If you are interested in that, you can grab it out of homemaker and just import it and start using it in a python script.
    ArchWall etc in FreeCAD is essentially the same. We both use opencascade breps. The problem is not in thickening a generic wall. The problem is in how to create the best and most conformant representations for IFC.

Thanks for the explanation, would try again when there is a gap :D

A demo how a Sketch in FreeCAD facilitate creation of ArchWall and 'CellComplex' -

agonzalezestevetopologic
  • To celebrate the release of Blender 3.0, I am releasing a new compatible version of Topologic (v0.6.0.6) with lots of new and updated methods. Try them out and let me know what you think!
    https://github.com/wassimj/topologicsverchok/releases/tag/v0.6.0.6

paulleebasweinA_Tahlawi
  • edited December 2021

Hi @topologic
    i am trying to filter just the "Unit" Value by using Topologic.Filter node, but i am getting all the Value which contains Unit, should i type special character ? . please see the pic . thank you

• Hi @A_Tahlawi Please post this on issues on GitHub. This forum is more to discuss things related to Topologic but not bug reporting. But to answer you quickly. The node uses “contains” rather than a strict “equal”. I can update it and give users a choice.

A_Tahlawi
  • This is great . thank you

• I thought some might be interested in this interview. In it I discuss Topologic, but also the importance of open source software and the challenges facing our AEC industry.
    https://www.a-ves.mx/podcast/episode/2cc0bb56/topologic-building-ideas-to-share

paullee
  • Hi Everyone,
    Just to let you know that I just released version 0.7.0.8 of Topologic for Windows and Linux (compatible with Blender 3.10 and python 3.10). In this version, I made improvements to the EnergyModel.ByTopology node. The export to OSM and gbxml should now be correct and robust. But I would love for someone to test it.
    https://github.com/wassimj/TopologicSverchok/releases/tag/v0.7.0.8

paulleeDarth_Blender
  • That's great! Wassim. I have to release myself of work to dive into topologic again. I still see it as the freshest take to architectural design, that I've seen, in ages.

topologic
  • @JQL said:
    That's great! Wassim. I have to release myself of work to dive into topologic again. I still see it as the freshest take to architectural design, that I've seen, in ages.

Very kind of you. Let me know if I can help in any way once you get back to it. Topologic has gained a lot of features recently. One project that still needs attention is a set of general purpose topologic to ifc converters. I need some quiet time to study what @brunopostle and @Moult have previously done and integrate their work into new nodes.

JQLpaullee
  • edited March 2022

Hi, I once learned the way somehow to download topologic python module and import it in FreeCAD (probably with help of Dr. Wassim), and tested in FreeCAD python console.

EDIT - I am using FreeCAD on Linux, Fedora 34.

Just search over a few days, but can't find the same piece of information again, any idea ?

• @paullee said:
    Hi, I once learned the way somehow to download topologic python module and import it in FreeCAD (probably with help of Dr. Wassim), and tested in FreeCAD python console.

EDIT - I am using FreeCAD on Linux, Fedora 34.

Just search over a few days, but can't find the same piece of information again, any idea ?

You can install homemaker or TopologicSverchok and lift the topologic python module out of there.

paullee