BlenderBIM Add-on new release!

167891012»

Comments

• @Moult said:
    @abonfo probably not yet. We'll probably do another round of bSDD updates to improve integration in this release cycle.

Ok, thank you! I was not sure if there was a fetching issue or a code update issue :)

• Amazing job guys, thank you very much!

theoryshawHaukMorten
  • I am looking forward to the recent MEP update of BlenderBIM-Add on.
    PredifinedType is repeated twice for object Add and Edit, it would be nice if it could be done only once, is this the intended behavior?

The User Perspective display seems to depend on what is selected in the tree on the left, is it correct that it is not always Spatial Conteiner?

I'm having a bit of trouble switching back and forth between Object Mode and Edit Mode and getting it to save correctly to IFC. For simple rectangles (box enclosures) and cylinders (pipes), I would like to be able to complete dimension editing in Object Mode.
    Thank you for your development.

• PredifinedType is repeated twice for object Add and Edit, it would be nice if it could be done only once, is this the intended behavior?

This is intended. After all, after adding it you may change your mind and edit it.

is it correct that it is not always Spatial Conteiner?

Yes, it shows whatever collection you have "active". Sometimes this is the spatial container, at other times it may be the parent aggregate or nested whole, or the types collection, etc. There are many ways to organise IFC models and the spatial tree is only one option.

I'm having a bit of trouble switching back and forth between Object Mode and Edit Mode and getting it to save correctly to IFC

Is there a problem you can describe that we can recreate and fix?

KoAra
  • @Moult
    Thank you for your response.
    The third one was a bit of a blur, but don't all beginners make these mistakes? LOL.
    I want to become an intermediate user of the BBIM Add-on.

• Hi @KoAra that tutorial is a bit old now and shift-e has been deprecated I think for floors, now to switch to edit mode you just need to press tab, let me know if that helps

KoAra
  • Hi,
    I've looked around for this but it seems to have changed since the latest tutorials...
    I want to draw a simple hidden line. It doesn't show up anymore in the annotation tool dropdown, but I see that there are default styles such as LINEWORK.fine, LINEWORK.dashed, etc. in default.css.
    However, when I set the object type of the line to LINEWORK.dashed, it ignores the . in the exported SVG, so I imagine there must be another way to specify style sub-classes... I've tried other separators such as - or simply but the result is the same. Adding dashed to the class in the SVG results in a dashed line. Is this documented anywhere since the new releases?

Thanks!

• edited December 2023

The PredefinedType should be set to LINEWORK, and there is a property which you can set to "dashed".

@KoAra perhaps we can screenshare?

• Thanks! However, I don't have those predefined types with a new project...
    I've gotten around it by defining my own style in the CSS file but it seems finnicky to do that every time, when there is already a definition for dashed/thin/medium/etc. lines.

@Moult said:
    The PredefinedType should be set to LINEWORK, and there is a property which you can set to "dashed".

@KoAra perhaps we can screenshare?

I haven't been able to find any properties to set... My object property panel looks like this:

So instead of LINEWORK I can put the name of my custom style as in this YouTube tutorial but otherwise I haven't seen how to customize/subclass the LINEWORK type instead.

• @tsvilans add EPset_Annotation as a property set and you can set the class there.

• @Moult said:
    @tsvilans add EPset_Annotation as a property set and you can set the class there.

That does it :) Thanks!

• AceAce
    edited December 2023

A summary of the last Stable update from November

Better late than never! Sorry everyone I've been sick,
    Let me know if there is anything people would like covered

theoryshawAndrej730brunopostleNigelDarth_BlenderabonfoduarteframosCoenarttOle_Marius_Svendsenand 4 others.
  • @Ace

Let me know if there is anything people would like covered

I really would like to see a Beam System array tutorial where the profiles of the beams can be swapped out. I don't think it's possible yet, but would also be cool if the beam system could have a boundary/perimeter.

Ace
  • edited December 2023

@Ace

While you're at it, replacing several existing IfcWindowType instances in a layered wall with an air cavity, which also updates the drawings. If that is possible.

To summarize, I would like to see more advanced tutorials in which BlenderBIM has way more advantage compared to similar propriarty products. IfcGit is a prime example.

AcetlangNigelktmbdamay
  • edited December 2023

Thank you for wonderful year , one more future request would be integration terrain into ground like google earth or open street map (https://github.com/StrandedKitty/streets-gl) in easy way so we can put building into space context, and terrain elevation like

https://www.kalisode.com/2021/12/01/google-maps-to-blender-to-bim/

Happy New 2024

Best regards

Ace
  • Hello! I have one sugestions or question: Have you considered doing a custom Blender build for BlenderBIM? As PyClone. With a custom GUI. Just thinking outloud.

• Hi there! Sorry in advance for this rant, but I've been really frustrated with the fact that the latest BIM plugin version I'm using seems to mess up Blender in several occasions. We are using Blender-BIM for processing IFC files, obviously, but we use Blender itself to other things as well. However, with the BIM plugin installed (and it's now a system plugin..), it takes over the Ctrl-S shortcut and it's not once or twice that I try saving the Blender scene and instead, BIM plugin starts to save the IFC file which I really don't want. Also, when copying IFC objects, the BIM plugin forces the IFC type (for instance, IfcSpace) to the beginning of the object name, which again causes problems if I wish the object to have a specific name. When I tried to disable the plugin altogether just to remove all the extra IFC functionality that I don't want to have present, the BIM plugin will take away also the Blender-related Scene settings. And I'm sure I've forgotten some other issues I've encountered thus far.

So, having said all that, even though the plugin work brilliantly in many ways, why oh why did you decide to make this a system level plugin? The previous version I used was functioning much better without causing any problems to the normal use of Blender for other purposes than IFC stuff.

• @hpi_pg hey there and welcome! Actually, this rant is really very welcome, because increasingly the primary audience of the add-on are those who want to primarily work with IFC instead of Blender, so we've clearly skewed quite a bit too far in that direction. I think a sensible direction will be to have two modes in the add-on:

• A native IFC authoring platform mode, where it takes over Blender completely.
    • A IFC importer add-on mode, where you have read-only access to the IFC, but editing geometry, saving, etc will do nothing to the IFC.

The latter is what you're after, but will probably not be the default mode as it's increasingly becoming the minority, but we should always acknowledge there are many usecases where IFC is not the primary objective. Would you mind filing a bug here https://github.com/IfcOpenShell/IfcOpenShell/issues where we can keep track of this and solve it as a priority for the next release?

bdamayBedsonbruno_perdigao
  • edited February 1

@Ionut_BimStudio currently we don't do or need much upstream editing, but in the future should we have enough resources, that would definitely be something to consider! That said, we have reached out on a number of occasions to Blender and they've been very helpful so far and acknowledge the issues we've encountered. See https://devtalk.blender.org/t/2023-11-06-blender-bim/31952

Ionut_BimStudioBedson
  • I agree that since BBIM makes so much changes to Blender it's basically using BlenderBIM vs Blender - we can balance it out case by case but that's the way it should be, otherwise we would always limit ourselves and BBIM users because BBIM interrupts some other Blender workflow

To balance it out we can start an issue on on https://github.com/IfcOpenShell/IfcOpenShell/issues to gather the feedback on cases when BBIM clashes with Blender that we need to focus on.

For now it's also possible to import .ifc, make changes (maybe hide / show stuff based on IFC groups) and then unlink .ifc - then BBIM shouldn't get in the way of any Blender workflow but it with unlink all ifc features are lost too. To have have a separate importer / version the addon that would be less intrusive in Blender workflows is that we need to narrow it down on the cases when BBIM gets in the way and which of them we should support.

Ionut_BimStudio
  • Hi @Moult ! Yes, sounds really reasonable to me to have to separate modes for the plugin. Currently, it just causes too much hassle and some really weird behaviour in Blender when trying to do the things (like using a boolean modifier..) that I usually need to do. And the sad thing is that I cannot be quite sure what is causing it, whether it be the plugin or if something has gone wrong for other reasons. Anyways, I'm happy to file a bug report and see if I can give you a clear enough description of what I've found. Hopefully that helps you to solve at least some of the issues I've encountered.

Bedson
  • @hpi_pg have you tried unlinking in the Debug panel? That might do what you're after as a short term workaround.

• @Moult Sorry. I've almost entirely used the add-on for importing / reading space data etc. from the IFC files so I'm not very familiar with all the other rather extensive functionality. Where can I find the Debug panel? :D

• @hpi_pg I use different versions. For BlenderBIM + Sverchok I use Blender 3.6, and for only Blender stuff Blender 4.0. It is true, because sverchok doesn't work on v4.0+ in Blender. But it could be a simple solution for your problem.

• @hpi_pg basically after loading the IFC, click on Purge IFC Links and it'll turn into a regular Blend.

• @Moult Yeah, I found the Debug panel and tried purging the IFC links. I'm not quite sure, though, if it helps but I'll have a go and let you know if the problems continue. Thanks for your help! :)
    @Ionut_BimStudio Thanks for this idea. It may be a bit tricky for us to use different Blender versions like this, since the blend scenes are not backwards compatible anymore from Blender 4.x to version 3.3 LTS that we are currently using. However, If done carefully, we may be able to use two Blender versions in parallel, like dedicating the older Blender only for IFC imports and then continue from there with the Blender 4.x as you suggested. That might actually be doable, since the Python version has not changed in Blender 4.x yet so all the Python scripting we've done should work there as well (the reason for us to stay with the LTS versions...).

• @Moult Actually, I think at the moment the best solution really is to use separate Blender versions for the IFC imports etc. and for other Blender stuff, just as @Ionut_BimStudio suggested above. The reason is that we may need to dig some data from the IFC file and if the links have been purged, there's no way of doing it anymore. At least that's what it looked like when I tried running a script that actually tried accessing the IFC data after the purge. Either that, or do the purge once all the IFC data has been processed and there will not be any need to refer back to the source anymore. So if you are introducing two different modes for the add-on in the future, the import add-on really should be able to read the IFC data, even if there's no need for updating it. :)

• edited February 2

@Ionut_BimStudio Thanks for this idea. It may be a bit tricky for us to use different Blender versions like this, since the blend scenes are not backwards compatible anymore from Blender 4.x to version 3.3 LTS that we are currently using.

Different versions of Blender just means different installations, not necessarily different releases. Blender is portable, just get a zipped package and unpack to wherever you want, you can have many versions side by side without conflict.
    Hell they may well even be the same installation folder, just using different settings folders or launch options.
    Use a different script or shortcut to launch Blender.exe with or without BBim enabled. See https://blender.stackexchange.com/a/63666/19307

On an unrelated note, shouldn't Moult just lock this thread so only he can post here?
    This is a release announcement post, I suspect a lot people would like to subscribe to, to get notifications for new releases. Right now it is a mixed bag of questions, support requests, feature suggestions and unrelated noise.

HaukMorten