Best of FOSS in visual/spatial design related fields

Who thinks we should start organizing an award for the most outstanding projects? Here's a discussion I've joined over at opensourcedesign (which is a good forum to keep an eye on). Please think about joining the discussion on their forum (where it started) rather than making a parallel discussion here.

I think there are lots of advantages to this idea.

https://discourse.opensourcedesign.net/t/idea-for-a-yearly-awards-event/2774
Ping @ideabuilder @CadGiru

Tagged:
Acepaullee

Comments

• What's the feeling about this? @theoryshaw @yorik @Moult @bernd @JanF @SigmaDimensions @Jesusbill @topologic
    Of course anyone is very welcome to comment. On the original thread there's some disagreement about what sort of categories would get most engagement.

• So I'm totally unsure about this. First of all, there aren't that many projects - if I look at our software directory we have roughly over a hundred and if you divide that into say five categories, that's fine for one round, but it gets quickly weird if you wnat to do it regularly.
    Second, I don't feel like picking one best project from some category really aligns with our goal of supporting cooperation and teaching people to look for the option that suits them best rather than sticking with the most popular option.
    Third, I rationally understand what you mean in the discussion you linked, but I'd probably irationally side with Christoffer there. It has something to do with the previous issues, but also I think being fun and not so serious fits the community spirit.
    All in all I'm not convinced this is worth our effort, I'm worried we'd spend a lot of time organizing this and then do it once and forget about it.

duncan