Generating 2D elevations with Blender

This discussion was created from comments split from: BlenderBIM Add-on new release!.

Comments

• I was searching for elevation and plan options that saved to scale. I see BlenderBim can do this. Do you know of another add on that does this?

• @RCRussell said:
    I was searching for elevation and plan options that saved to scale. I see BlenderBim can do this. Do you know of another add on that does this?

is in the roadmap, here, and being worked on. Is a gnarly and involved feature.

• @RCRussell said:
    I was searching for elevation and plan options that saved to scale. I see BlenderBim can do this. Do you know of another add on that does this?

Archipack Pro is also able to I believe but completely different system/process

• @RCRussell said:

Measureit arch kind of does that as well

• @JanF @Ace don't forget our list of relevant add-ins on the wiki https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=Category:Blender_Add-on

Ace
  • @duncan said:
    @JanF @Ace don't forget our list of relevant add-ins on the wiki https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=Category:Blender_Add-on

Wow, what is Sorcar? is it more towards Geometry Nodes or Sverchok? I just seen a video and it seems is taking most of the Blender functions and modifers into Nodes. Is this plugin still being developed? Seems really powerfull too!

• edited April 2022

From what I know and testing it one afternoon some time ago it's a relatively mature procedural modelling tool that lets you chain operations that can otherwise be found using vanilla Blender's UI. It's very similar to Geometry Nodes in many aspects.
    It's using the python API and regular operators under the hood so I predict its performance on heavy scenes will not be very good. It seems the latest update on github is 2 years old so the project doesn't seem to have any more traction, contrary to Sverchok which is still updated regularly.

It's a matter of perspective of course, but I'd say it's better to invest time in learning Geometry Nodes rather than Sorcar at this time and place, if you're planning on using one of the latest Blender versions. GN is built for performance and continuously getting improved. Tons of teaching materials are getting produced so you won't have a hard time getting started either.

I don't know much about Sverchok either but I think it's geared towards another type of people, who are more technically savvy and understand how matrices, quaternions, loop indices, etc work. If you don't know what these are, chances are you won't like sverchok very much ^^

• I`v been trying Geometry Nodes for a while, already got some of the concepts and its indeed evolving and super usefull but its still lacking some of the features that i saw in Sorcar, especially manipulating geometry in Edit mode and having all Blender modifiers and features.
    Sverchok is super powerfull but a bit less user friendly as you mentioned. Dont need to be really into math to use it though, but i agree that i still dont understand the Matrix node.
    Honestly what i dont understand is why the official Blender developers do not integrate all modifiers and editing capabilities into Geometry Nodes, or is that into the making?

• I think the simple answer is developer time : They're slowly adding the modifiers back. There was a GSOC last year to do the groundworks for it https://devtalk.blender.org/t/gsoc-2021-porting-popular-modifiers-to-geometry-nodes-weekly-reports/19126 .Recently we got the weld, and solidify modifiers for instance. Others like displace, cast, build, etc. can already be rebuilt using existing nodes combinations, but I think the goal is to distribute ready-made node groups to mimic those either within the regular official Blender download or via other channels.

They also need to integrate modifiers that have been developed in their own ecosystems since their creation, by different developers with different mindsets and end goals, and make them compatible with all the other possible workflows, with performance in mind. The skin modifier for instance has a horrible performance cost when used on heavy meshes, and it uses a singular attribute stored on every vertex that drives the skin depth. It needs to be pretty much rewritten from scratch to integrate into GN.

Coen
  • Another 2D drawing option is being worked on. Check out the comments in the following video:

CoenJesusbill
  • @RCRussell have you tried the BlenderBIM Add-on's drawing generation features? It's available in the unstable releases on Github. I'd love to hear where it works and where it doesn't so we can fix it :)