Brainstorm on projects we'd like to be able to fund
At the recent steering committee meeting we discussed what type of activities we could use to inspire people to give us money! As we get closer to making a fiscal organization to receive funds we need to talk about where to use those funds. So let's brainstorm!
We've done this before, so feel free to link to other thread.
Here's a rough list we started, feel free to add new suggestions and I'll update this post every now and then.
Projects / ideas we could fund
- help devs working with FOSS interoperability
- send hardware to people whop need it
- creating presentation materials explaining what OSArch is
- creating presentation materials explaining what OpenBIM is
- creating presentation materials explaining why to management / colleagues etc.
- create tutorials
- commissioning more specific projects
- sponsor existing devs on key projects
- documentation work for example IfcOpenShell
- sponsor Blender add-ins
- supporting devs with community building, sponsor speakers ...
- sponsored teaching material.
- IFC merge bringing git-style workflows to OpenBIM
- Cross platform PDF markup & annotation tool relevant to AEC
- 'Blender AEC Bundle' Application Template
- Hackathons / knowledge sharing
- Tutorial courses
- wiki edit-a-thons
- graphic design / marketing / web presence help (FOSS projects typically lack resources in this area, and they don't require in-depth knowledge of the software to help out).
- There is a whole thread for a Proposed List of AEC High Priority projects
Added directly from steering committee notes for 9th June
- Incentivize consolidation. For example bringing smaller projects into single projects. There is a lot of overlap between Blender Add-ons for AEC. If we could pay devs to refactor their projects into a smaller number of better add-ons that would be more sustainable.
- Time for the first Blender Application (Template)?
- Topologic into BBIM?
- Sponser a known developer to scratch an AEC itch. For example have RealThunder & Yorik propose a project fitting some funds we have ready.
- OpeningDesign could sketch out a proposal for paying someone to document their workflow.
- Generally support current makers of teaching material, Yassine, Condur/BIMVoice / Dion ...
- More resources put into 'Learn OpenBIM Workflows' - part of learn.osarch.org starting to document the workflows we already have here https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=AECO_Workflow_Examples some discussion on Twitter Yorik is on board with this being hosted by OSArch (Duncan)
- Proposal for a small 1-week hackathon between 5 FOSS projects who are already well engaged in OSArch (e.g. BlenderBIM Add-on, FreeCAD, IFC.JS, Topologic, Homemaker, ...?)
- Fund some GSoC style projects to keep small projects alive. For example the electrical workbench for FreeCAD
- Public test servers for Speckle, BigBlueButton, OpenProject, IFC.js . IFC online viewer, IFC online viewer ... basically all those things that a regular desktop user can't easily set up themselves but might want to play with in a managed, safe, sandbox.