[FreeCAD] Soon also with Native IFC support? like BlenderBIM

So there is this interesting forum thread at FreeCAD https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=72345

I think BlenderBIM as a proof of concept for Native IFC has opened many possibilities.

theoryshawMoultCoenAcepaulleebrunopostlebasweinArchitekt

Comments

• I really hope we'll be able to work together and share code on this. This seems like exactly the type of cross-pollination that OSArch can help bring together, given the limited resources in our industry.

CoenAcepaulleebasweintheoryshawArchitekt
  • edited October 2022

That's some motivation here 💪

CoencarlopavAcetobenz
  • For those reading along, there is now a GitHub repo -> https://github.com/yorikvanhavre/FreeCAD-BlenderBIM

CoentheoryshawbitacovirMoultbasweinAce
  • I'm really thrilled by this! We're putting the bases now, I'll try to write a report as soon as we get something interesting up

CoenMartin156131carlopavCadGiru
  • In fact, there had been a lot of development e.g. in discussion thread below.
    Worth a post at https://osarch.org/ homepage ?

theoryshawAcebitacovircarlopavbaswein
  • Some earlier screencaptures

brunopostletheoryshawAceMoultCoenbitacovir
  • edited March 2023

For those who are particular interested in latest (No Representation) NativeIFC import in FreeCAD :

"It is really fast ! On my 10 years old i3, it loads IFC Schependomlaan.ifc in 5 s :lol:
    0:05 - No Representation (a cube appear :roll: )
    0:27 - Coin Representation
    1:09 - Full Shape
    ... "

Moult
  • @paullee indeed! Treating IFC natively is a huge gamechanger - it makes it almost easy to support the entire IFC schema, just a matter of time!

paulleebitacovir
  • The Schependomlaan.ifc is 49.3MB by the way.

I have no idea how the Blender-BIM development is used in FreeCAD NativeIFC import but it seems it is benefiting both.

Maybe somehow more information could be provided (or it is already available?) so more people can help either direction.

• @paullee in short, the entire BlenderBIM Add-on codebase is split into two parts: stuff that is specific to the Blender interface, and stuff that is purely editing or fetching IFC data. The latter can be completely reused by FreeCAD. In addition, we've had a lot of time to test and experiment with approaches towards Native IFC authoring that FreeCAD can immediately leapfrog.

theoryshawpaulleebitacovirAce
  • We are heavily using the non-Blender part already ;)

theoryshawbitacovirpaullee
  • Hi Guys - does that mean that we can design whatever we want, tag with into IFC with BlenderBIM and document it in Freecad?

paulleeAce
  • @dimitar said:
    Hi Guys - does that mean that we can design whatever we want, tag with into IFC with BlenderBIM and document it in Freecad?

@yorik Any comment ? In fact, FreeCAD Arch/BIM had been able to import IFC with shape with the previous 'Non-Native' importer, there is no reason why it cannot produce a floor plan, count its quantities and other 'documentation' tasks (what else?).

Maybe a testcase be carried out? Anyone would do a simple model in BlenderBIM and provide a good IFC file, and try in FC ?

Good as a collaboration exercise for both the OSArch and FreeCAD Arch/BIM communities :D

theoryshawAce
  • yes, and that's already possiblee you can place section planes and extract 2D views. However, at the moment you cannot do much more than that with the ifc file once it's in freecad. and also specific things that have been added to BBIM to render nice 2D plans (materials, etc) are not fully supported yet.

theoryshawpaulleeArchitektAce
  • @yorik I assume those 2D views are based on FreeCAD's existing ability to create 2D views, and not based on the IfcOpenShell draw module and built-in SVG serialisation?

• Can slightly explain what are " IfcOpenShell draw module" and "built-in SVG serialisation"?

• @Moult said:
    @yorik I assume those 2D views are based on FreeCAD's existing ability to create 2D views, and not based on the IfcOpenShell draw module and built-in SVG serialisation?

I think is this tool... https://wiki.freecad.org/Arch_SectionPlane

paullee
  • @paullee IfcOpenShell can generate drawings too programmatically. We output SVG with classes and attributes that reflect the data of the IFC object. This is generated from IFC directly, which means you can generate drawings from multiple IFCs without loading into Blender/FreeCAD. The underlying tech is in a series of SVG serialisation code, which is semi-packaged in the ifcopenshell.draw module. All the annotations and 2D substitutions are loaded from IFC, so it is able to create drawings that have no dependencies on FreeCAD and everything is fully contained in the IFC.

paulleetheoryshawbitacovirdimitar
  • I guess Bitacovir is right that Yorik is using FreeCAD Arch/BIM Arch Section Plane tool, which cut the Shape of the model to generate 2D views.
    Thanks @Moult, can give a pointer to how to use the IfcOpenShell 'semi-packaged' draw module? Hopefully using in FreeCAD also?

• Damn this is higlhy interesting... somehow i hadn't thought of it... it should be very easy to use IfcOpenShell instead of the internal FreeCAD engine to generate the 2D views. We must test that at once! Very curious to compare speeds.
    Where should I look for examples @Moult ?

paulleetheoryshawAcebitacovirdimitar
  • @yorik said:
    Damn this is higlhy interesting... somehow i hadn't thought of it... it should be very easy to use IfcOpenShell instead of the internal FreeCAD engine to generate the 2D views. We must test that at once! Very curious to compare speeds.

I love when discussion and interaction between communities produce real results...

theoryshawpaulleeAcedimitar
  • I try to follow but can't find how to use the IfcOpenShell e.g. with python console to generate 2D views?
    Anyone figured this out?

• @paullee the easiest way for users to play with it is either to use IfcConvert or the BlenderBIM Add-on (for more detailed control). Doing it in Python requires quite a few steps if you want extra control.

bitacovir
  • Thanks Moult. I would like to try with FreeCAD NativeIFC import, realising there is no GUI for such purpose other than FreeCAD Arch Section Plane, the first thing I have on my mind is the IfcOpenShell python interface.

dimitar
  • @paullee you may need to wait a little bit then, as it isn't so straightforward (such is the nature of a WIP drawing generation library). FreeCAD needs to 1) add the ability to create a drawing object storing the "section box" of the drawing, and 2) ideally create a button which creates a drawing with a variety of sane default settings.

paulleedimitar