ContextType, ContextIdentifier, and TargetView

This discussion was created from comments split from: [BlenderBIM] - Beginner Tutorial - Section in 12mins.

Comments

• Hi guys, how can I configure the section to ignore the body representation of an object and show only the section_view representation? Is that possible? In my case, I have a roof that is modeled as a box, but I would like to show only the tiles in the section drawing. I have successfully created the tiles as lines in the section_view representation, but the body representation is showing and overlaps it. In the image below, I placed the tiles a little higher just to see if it was working.

• can you share the file?

• Yes, here it is:

• I tried to add Plan/Body/SECTION_VIEW context but couldn't get it to work. Although I feel it should. Think there might be a glitch.
    I was able, however, to get Model/Body/SECTION_VIEW context to work, see video here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/1bseirq8v0e79qs/2023-03-31_15-27-20_Blender_blender.mp4?dl=0

• This is the way it is in a typical door...
    If there's a Plan/Body/PLAN_VIEW context it doesn't show the stuff in the Model/Body/MODEL_VIEW context if the target view of the drawing is PLAN_VIEW... or so i think it works this way. :)

• Thanks! So I guess we should use annotation when we want to add something but preserve the body representation, like you did with the door swing. Is that correct?

• i'm not 100% certain... contexts confuse me a little, still.

• Using Model/Body/SECTION_VIEW is correct. Plan/Body/SECTION_VIEW doesn't work because it is a plan view (i.e. no Z axis) whereas you are in a section view.

The behaviour of contexts has changed a bit over time (and this is uncharted territory so we are still feeling our way through to figure out what works for all scenarios). I apologise for the confusion, hopefully this will clear it up.

A context (or specifically, a subcontext, you never use contexts directly) is made of 3 major categories:

• ContextType (Model/Plan): Model indicates it stores 3D geometry using XYZ coordinates. Plan indicates it stores 2D geometry using XY coordinates only. Note that these are not global XYZ, these are local XYZ coordinates relative to the orientation of the object (i.e. the orange dot). So if the object is rotated, 2D XY may not be pointing exactly up.
    • ContextIdentifier (Body/Annotation/Axis/Box/etc): we'll focus on 2 here. The Body says that the geometry represents the body of the object. The Annotation says that the geometry further annotates (e.g. highlights/labels/directs attention to a particular aspect of the element) the element. So if you are drawing a plan view of a door where the door panel is wide open, that is part of the Body. However, the door swing arc in theory is an Annotation, as it merely annotates the clear extents of the swing and directionality. Similarly, the triangle symbol / arrows used for awning and sliding windows are Annotations. In your example, your geometry is of the roof tiles, which is the Body.
    • TargetView (MODEL_VIEW/PLAN_VIEW/SECTION_VIEW/etc): this indicates that the geometry is suited towards this particular type of view and should take priority.

(note there is also TargetScale but we don't yet support that, it's pretty self explanatory though, such as different levels of detail for different scales).

In drafting, we always draw the body of the object, and then draw the annotation in addition to the body. (e.g. first you draw the window, then you draw the arrow indicating the sliding direction of the window). There are additional rules that certain values are special in that they often use particular 2D symbology that is unique to those views that you won't typically find elsewhere (e.g. fire extinguishers have a symbol on a plan, but you'll never use that symbol in a section).

So for a given drawing, here are the rules followed:

1. First the Body ContextIdentifier is drawn. Then, the Annotation ContextIdentifier is drawn in addition.
    2. If there are multiple Bodies and Annotations to choose from, the one with a TargetView that matches the drawing is prioritised. The MODEL_VIEW TargetView is the fallback.
    3. In addition, we have a special rule that if the drawing has a PLAN_VIEW or REFLECTED_PLAN_VIEW, the Plan ContextType is prioritised over Model.

Let's see a real life example. Let's imagine we are doing a regular floor plan drawing (i.e. PLAN_VIEW). If we had all possible Body permutations in theory, this is the priority list:

1. Plan/Body/PLAN_VIEW (top priority, as you'd expect)
    2. Plan/Body/MODEL_VIEW (fallback)
    3. Model/Body/PLAN_VIEW (fallback again)
    4. Model/Body/MODEL_VIEW (final fallback)

Same goes for Annotations, just replace "Body" with "Annotation". Here's another example for a section (i.e. SECTION_VIEW):

1. Model/Body/SECTION_VIEW (top priority)
    2. Model/Body/MODEL_VIEW (final fallback)

Notice we never consider 2D things in a section view. There are a number of problems with 2D in sections and elevations that has led to this special third rule.

Acetheoryshawbruno_perdigaoCoenArvGorgioustim
  • Thanks for the explanation, it's much clearer now

• How do you get the 3D geometry of the door frame/trim to show up with the door swing in PLAN_VIEW?
    I thought i could put the door frame/trim in Model/Body/PLAN_VIEW and have the door swing in Plan/Body/PLAN_VIEW, but it doesn't seem to work...
    video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jstu6gtipypeve9/2023-05-08_15-33-07_Blender_blender.mp4?dl=0
    I'd ideally like to keep the frame/trim as 3D geometry, instead of making it 2D, if possible.

• You can put the 3D geometry of the door frame in Model/Body/PLAN_VIEW as you've suggested, then put the swing in Plan/Annotation/PLAN_VIEW.

• I guess it doesn't show in the viewport since the viewport currently only shows a single representation (add it as a feature request?). It shows up in a drawing though.

• edited July 2023

Anyone know the approach if you want to show something in MODEL_VIEW, but don't want to show it in SECTION_VIEW? I tried having a representation Model/Body/SECTION_VIEW with nothing in it, but BB balked.

• @theoryshaw put it as part of the drawing's "exclude" filter?

• Yeah, i could do that.

• edited February 6

@theoryshaw said:
    Yeah, i could do that.

Can I get 2d lineworks of a slab and a floor in a plan view

• Can I get 2d lineworks of a slab and a floor in a plan view

Yes, that should be standard out-of-the-box functionality. You're not seeing this when you print a SVG?

• @theoryshaw said:

Can I get 2d lineworks of a slab and a floor in a plan view

Yes, that should be standard out-of-the-box functionality. You're not seeing this when you print a SVG?

I understand the flow of plan annotations views. When I had two story building, and I add landscape elements like a patio which was at 0 and first storey was the slab was not seen in plan view

• is it a camera depth thing?