Home Builder for Blender

Hi everyone I wanted to share a project that I am working on called Home Builder. The goal is to provide an intuitive way of creating interior spaces while also providing builders the engineering information they need to build the physical objects.

There are some similarities between this and Archipack, but this will be more for builders and interior designers. In the end I would like Archipack and Home Builder to work together nicely, because there are helpful features in both systems.

Let me know what your thoughts are.

https://creativedesigner3d.com/2020/09/21/parametric-asset-libraries-in-blender-2-90/

Tagged:
stephen_lJesusbillReD_CoDEbrunopostleCyrilJQLbasweinbitacovirzagadaapaulleeand 13 others.

Comments

• This is fantastic! You should absolutely give a talk on this in a future OSArch monthly meetup!

• @Moult said:
    This is fantastic! You should absolutely give a talk on this in a future OSArch monthly meetup!

Yeah I would love to. It looks like the next couple of sessions might be full, but maybe December will be available.

pixelpartner
  • In the meantime, would you mind adding it to the Wiki directory? https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=AEC_Free_Software_directory

• I just saw the video on Youtube and came right over to share the good news!
    This is really good work, an important boost to the ecosystem.

• Impressive work! Will there be a possibility to add more objects? Let's say one customer will use a specific brand in their project - do you have to add it, or could the designer (us) do that?

• And would the designer need to model it in a specific way from scratch to fit the add-on or could he import already existing models, parametrize them and include them in the library?

• I like your add-on, i want use it for not just interior design, look useful for MEP and for this I have some questions:
    1 Is there any method to add internal elements like pipes or electric devices?
    2 is there any method to create an assembly animation and file presentation?
    3 is there any method to create BoM and budget?
    4 is there any tutorial for create custom furniture or MEP objects?
    5 is there any method to export import since CSV and TXT files?
    6 is there any method to create tables or list in blender or LibreOffice?

PD: I am new in blender

• hi @jtm2020hyo
    I don't think there is anything you ask about, at least not in an established way, because it is in a development state.

• I really like what you do

Darth_Blenderpaulleeemilianobim
  • @Darth_Blender said:
    ... because it is in a development state.

I would like to add a suggestion for future development:

1 add an option for create a detailled 3D of each part, such as nuts, bolts, boards, doors, handles, wheels, etc, this for a BoM and budget.
    2 add assembly export import

...if the developer add this features then this add-on practically already won to Autodesk Inventor and 3D max. and the next boss is Revit and AutoCAD

Darth_Blender
  • @zagadaa said:
    Impressive work! Will there be a possibility to add more objects? Let's say one customer will use a specific brand in their project - do you have to add it, or could the designer (us) do that?

The idea is that the users will maintain their own library. I will have examples that can be used as a starting point, but designers can have their own library that contain the products they use.

bruno_perdigaoDarth_Blenderbasweinemilianobim
  • @JQL said:
    And would the designer need to model it in a specific way from scratch to fit the add-on or could he import already existing models, parametrize them and include them in the library?

They can import a models. There will be a specific process to save an asset to the library. I will create docs and tutorials on this soon.

JQL
  • @jtm2020hyo said:
    I like your add-on, i want use it for not just interior design, look useful for MEP and for this I have some questions:
    1 Is there any method to add internal elements like pipes or electric devices?
    2 is there any method to create an assembly animation and file presentation?
    3 is there any method to create BoM and budget?
    4 is there any tutorial for create custom furniture or MEP objects?
    5 is there any method to export import since CSV and TXT files?
    6 is there any method to create tables or list in blender or LibreOffice?

PD: I am new in blender

Currently I don't have elements like pipes or electric devices.
    Animation of an assembly is possible. Blender has a great animation system that can be used.
    Creating a BoM and Pricing reports will be available soon.
    I will be creating tutorials on how to create your own assets soon.
    There is currently no way to import CSV or add lists in Blender

jtm2020hyo
  • @jtm2020hyo said:

@Darth_Blender said:
    ... because it is in a development state.

I would like to add a suggestion for future development:

1 add an option for create a detailled 3D of each part, such as nuts, bolts, boards, doors, handles, wheels, etc, this for a BoM and budget.
    2 add assembly export import

...if the developer add this features then this add-on practically already won to Autodesk Inventor and 3D max. and the next boss is Revit and AutoCAD

Thanks yeah I will create more detailed assets that include joinery hardware.
    Blender has a lot of import export options. I will need more information what format you are looking to export to?

• It would be great if your BOM data could be retrieved by BlenderBIM. That way, IFC schedules data would contain objects from your plugin too.

• @JQL said:
    It would be great if your BOM data could be retrieved by BlenderBIM. That way, IFC schedules data would contain objects from your plugin too.

Yeah I am sure that will be possible. I will be doing more research into BlenderBIM soon to ensure it works well with Home Builder.

JQLJesusbillCGRCarpgianeDS
  • I saw some videos from @Andyrexic (from your YouToub page and also your company) so I like the idea behind your works
    So, based on your approach, each data that can be imported into Blender can become a "template/prefab" object/entity, which is great and also the UX/UI is pretty straightforward
    So, can your approach recognize variables and build templates/prefabs "automatically"?

• @ReD_CoDE said:
    I saw some videos from @Andyrexic (from your YouToub page and also your company) so I like the idea behind your works
    So, based on your approach, each data that can be imported into Blender can become a "template/prefab" object/entity, which is great and also the UX/UI is pretty straightforward
    So, can your approach recognize variables and build templates/prefabs "automatically"?

Thanks. I am not sure I understand what you mean by recognize variables and build templates/prefabs automatically. I will be creating a detailed video soon that explains the concepts behind Parametric Assemblies. Once you see the video it will probably answer your question.

ReD_CoDEjtm2020hyo
  • @Andyrexic a heads up that the BlenderBIM Add-on currently does not support the costing and bill of quantities entities in IFC. Once they do, we should definitely collaborate - so that your data can be compatible with the IFC standard :)

This has been on the to-do list for a while :)

bernd
  • @Moult said:
    @Andyrexic a heads up that the BlenderBIM Add-on currently does not support the costing and bill of quantities entities in IFC. Once they do, we should definitely collaborate - so that your data can be compatible with the IFC standard :)

This has been on the to-do list for a while :)

Nice. I will be curious to know how this will be handled in BlenderBIM. The property system that I use in Home Builder is pretty flexible so I think they should work well together. I will be creating documentation on this works in Home Builder soon.

Darth_BlenderDADA_universe
  • Flexible Properties would also mean - it's easy to mess up compatibilty to BIM.
    How about a global switch to force properties to stay ifc / openBIM compatible?

@Andyrexic I especially admire your generics since I saw your parametric drawers!

• @pixelpartner IFC is just a schema between some other schemas in different areas
    So, the best approach could be a "hyper modeling language" on top of these schemas that has the best ontology, semantics, ...
    Some have started to follow RDF/OWL approach
    But personally, I have another plan which will introduce in the near future

• edited October 2020

@Andyrexic I like DnD idea, so is it possible to add another feature too?
    If we hold a key, for instance, Shift, and click on an asset, it automatically applies to object
    For instance, if I select an object, and hold Shift and click on the material A, material A will apply to the object, instead of drag & drop way, which will speed up workflow even more than now

• @Andyrexic I had a play with Pyclone and Home Builder. It looks fantastic! I have a few questions though:

1. Only Windows builds of PyClone seem to be available. Any plans for binaries for the other OSes?
    2. The Home Builder assets have intelligent snapping. Is there a way to create a snappable asset through the UI? I see it uses a few empties to mark the extents, but I wasn't quite sure how to assign this
    3. The cabinets seem generated purely from Python. Can people who don't know Python create parametric assets?
    4. The assets are self contained. E.g, if one carcass is positioned next to another, they double up on the end board (not sure the word). One example where this won't apply is in parking space assets - where the boundary line of one will overlap with another. I guess not a huge problem, but just wondering if there was thought given to these scenarios in the asset snapping.
  • edited October 2020

Hi @Andyrexic, please manage your workspace in this way:

In the main viewer, there would be 3 small buttons (on left, right, and bottom) that each one when clicked will open a border/menu which contains tab icons, and when tab icons clicked will open a related tab/window

In this way, the user will have more space for the main view

So, everything can be movable and draggable too, from drawer buttons, to borders/menus, to tabs/windows

• @ReD_CoDE said:
    @Andyrexic I like DnD idea, so is it possible to add another feature too?
    If we hold a key, for instance, Shift, and click on an asset, it automatically applies to object
    For instance, if I select an object, and hold Shift and click on the material A, material A will apply to the object, instead of drag & drop way, which will speed up workflow even more than now

Yeah that would be a good idea. Shift + Click is used to select multiple objects, but I there are many other hot keys that can be use to initialize the asset placement command. I don't think your second recommendation about workspaces will be easy to implement because it would require a major change to how Blender handles their UI regions. I will put some thought into how I could get this to work.

ReD_CoDE
  • @Moult said:
    @Andyrexic I had a play with Pyclone and Home Builder. It looks fantastic! I have a few questions though:

1. Only Windows builds of PyClone seem to be available. Any plans for binaries for the other OSes?
    2. The Home Builder assets have intelligent snapping. Is there a way to create a snappable asset through the UI? I see it uses a few empties to mark the extents, but I wasn't quite sure how to assign this
    3. The cabinets seem generated purely from Python. Can people who don't know Python create parametric assets?
    4. The assets are self contained. E.g, if one carcass is positioned next to another, they double up on the end board (not sure the word). One example where this won't apply is in parking space assets - where the boundary line of one will overlap with another. I guess not a huge problem, but just wondering if there was thought given to these scenarios in the asset snapping.
    1. I am only familiar with Building for Windows, but the plan is to implement this into the standard version of Blender when the asset management editor is available. So that will make it work with all Operating Systems.
    2. In the right click menu I have a place asset command which allows you to reposition the assets with the same functionality available when placing it from the library.
    3. I will have functionality to create custom cabinets by snapping together "cabinet components". This will allow users a visual way to add a carcass, shelves, divisions, doors, drawers, and other components to create custom items. This will work for many cases, but there will be limitations.
    4. Many cabinet manufactures prefer to build each box separately, but I will have functionality to allow cabinets to share partitions. This is especially helpful when designing closets.
    Moult
  • edited October 2020
  • @Andyrexic said:
    ... I will need more information what format you are looking to export to?

I just wish to draw using CSV and XML, this is possible with a CSV file with at least a basic structure, AutoCAD Electrical for imrpot CSV and create schemes, XML file for assembly and Inventor for 3D details.