If you're reading this, we've just migrated servers! If anything looks broken please email dion@thinkmoult.com :)

OSArch on YouTube

Comments

• @duncan I don't think I have access to the channel yet?
    I have exactly zero experience with YouTube (I don't expect it to be complex though) so we can definitely look at it together.
    I'd do a different one for the presentation I guess, but if we have a distinct video thumbnail for each episode I guess it's not that important.
    I have the presentation grab, but as we discussed in the meetup thread only the one without video from ioanis.

• edited January 2021

@JanF you had an invite that hadn't been activated. I cancelled that and sent a new one.

@gokermu I've sent you an invite as well to be a manager. Have a look around. Use this discussion to ask whatever you want to ask about, or suggest whatever changes you think make sense. I've worked a bit on the page layout and started some playlists. I do not think the channel should just parrot other channels, but try and bring projects together. So I've been subscribing to other projects that are relevant. Have you been to one of our monthly meetups? @JanF is looking after the videos from our monthly meetings this year.

We really want to cross post our videos to peertube, but no-one has stepped forward to find a solution for that yet.

• @duncan i got your invitation and accepted it. now I have access to the channel. as you said having meetups in other channels and redirecting people to other channels doesn't make any sense. I believe, in the end, every meetup video must be uploaded to osarch's youtube channel.
    I also don't have much experience on youtube other than on my own youtube channel -which is in Turkish- i got great feedback when it comes to the design of the channel so that's why I want to take the role to create thumbnails.
    i have one question though? do I have to post and create a poll for every other change that I am going to make in the design of the channel? for instance, I am thinking about creating a thumbnail for the 'home builder for blender' video. do I have to create a poll for the design of the thumbnail or can I just do what I want to do?
    btw, I haven't been to any meetups yet. but I am really looking forward. great to be part of you guys.

• edited January 2021

@gokermu at the moment it's you, @JanF and me who have expressed some interest in working on the YouTube page. @condur helped me get it set up in the beginning since he's learned a lot making his BIM Voice channel ( https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPKI_VFw_UHYwEB3WeP69Sw ) . You're new on this forum, so there's no hurry jumping into things, it's all still be there in a month. You might want to spend some time getting used to what we're about. Have you read the pages on the wiki about who we are and what the project is? You might want to introduce yourself ( https://community.osarch.org/discussion/6/welcome-to-the-osarch-community ) and make a page about who you are on the wiki ( here's mine: https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=User:Duncan ) and maybe add yourself to the supporters list ( https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=OSArch_Supporters )

Basically I've set up and casually maintain the Youtube channel. A more dedicated maintainer could do more with it. I know that @JanF and I are not very enthusiastic in supporting YouTube because of their business model. So we two are not very inclined to go deep into working on it. In all situations we in OSArch prefer to find free/libre software solutions. But sometimes we just don't have the time and more popular solutions are easier. We will probably publish on peertube as soon as we have someone willing to look into it and get it working. https://joinpeertube.org/#what-is-peertube
    So I've been thinking we should make a great page, link to good content, but only host our monthly meetups on the page. Any other content we produce should be hosted on a free/libre platform.

@JanF has agreed to take care of the monthly Meetup videos. So anything to do with how they look and are organized should be agreed with him. The actual videos are recorded by @Jesusbill so he has most of the originals. I'm not sure if he has all of them, I think @Moult has some of the first. They need to be collected in one place with a backup somewhere (i can provide the backup if someone makes it systematic)

So just keep the discussion here. Until there are so many people trying to help that we start having important disagreements - well there's really no need for a formal decision making process. And that's why we have a process for finding a logo, we didn't quite agree on which way to go.

• By the way, I'm happy if the monthly meetups are reuploaded to be hosted on the OSArch channel itself on YouTube - that sounds like it is less confusing for users. However, someone needs to sit there reuploading and typing in video descriptions etc. All of the original video files can be found and downloaded from https://peertube.social/video-channels/3fb2c986-247e-4901-ab2c-68540c9220b1/videos?a-state=42 - just click on a video, and you'll find a download link. That way you can reupload easily to YouTube. Happy to clarify if anybody wants to take the task of migrating the video files.

gokermu
  • @JanF @gokermu we should really make sure whatever work we do on the videos makes them look good on Youtube and on Peertube. I had a quick look for an instance and found this one: https://video.hardlimit.com but as long as we make

@gokermu regarding thumbnails just talk to @JanF, I'm sure he's happy to sort it out together - it's just not something I'm involved in any more. Some things just take a while to get arranged, people are busy. The one you sent me in private chat look really great, repost it here!

• @JanF and everyone ?
    i have made a thumbnail design for the 'home builder for blender' meetup video on youtube. Its open for discussion. If we agree on it, I will change the thumbnail of the video on youtube.

JanFMoult
  • @gokermu looks good, I see a typo in "monthly"

• @Jesusbill said:
    @gokermu looks good, I see a typo in "monthly"

?‍♂️. will correct it.

• I think this is great and hope we can use a format like this for all the meetup videos. I hope you'll make one for the extra meetup on Saturday. If @JanF also agrees with the general graphics (I do) then I think we can just say thank you @gokermu go for it - one icon a month please :-). Sometimes @JanF is just busy, so we'll wait till he has time to comment.

JanFJesusbill
  • edited January 2021

It's great let's do it. I have a computer now, so things should be a bit easier.
    @gokermu so the thumbnail is a single image and it plays the video from the begining when you hover over it right? Do we need to cut other things directly into the video? Links to previous sessions at the end? Or is that a thing you do on the server directly?
    Ioannis gave me a dropbox with the recordings, if we agree on the graphics, I can through them and add the jingle and descriptions and so on and reupload them.

• @JanF said:
    It's great let's do it. I have a computer now, so things should be a bit easier.
    @gokermu so the thumbnail is a single image and it plays the video from the beginning when you hover over it right? Do we need to cut other things directly into the video? Links to previous sessions at the end? Or is that a thing you do on the server directly?
    Ioannis gave me a dropbox with the recordings, if we agree on the graphics, I can through them and add the jingle and descriptions and so on and reupload them.

sorry for the late reply. different time zones?
    @JanF exactly. thumbnail is image you see on youtube. so there is no need to edit videos all over again. we add thumbnails directly on youtube. we can add links to other videos at the end of each video directly on youtube as well.

@Moult said:
    By the way, I'm happy if the monthly meetups are reuploaded to be hosted on the OSArch channel itself on YouTube - that sounds like it is less confusing for users. However, someone needs to sit there reuploading and typing in video descriptions etc. All of the original video files can be found and downloaded from https://peertube.social/video-channels/3fb2c986-247e-4901-ab2c-68540c9220b1/videos?a-state=42 - just click on a video, and you'll find a download link. That way you can reupload easily to YouTube. Happy to clarify if anybody wants to take the task of migrating the video files.

i have downloaded meetups from moult's peertube channel and uploaded couple of them on OSArch's youtube channel. Didn't publish it yet though. I believe, you add the intro and descriptions of the video? If that's the case, it's better if you upload the past meetups to Youtube with intro and descriptions.

• i have downloaded meetups from moult's peertube channel and uploaded couple of them on OSArch's youtube channel. Didn't publish it yet though. I believe, you add the intro and descriptions of the video? If that's the case, it's better if you upload the past meetups to Youtube with intro and descriptions.

We've talked about splitting the older videos in half so the presentation and discussion are two separate videos. Then we can have two separate playlists. One for presentation and QA, and one for osarch discussions.
    IF the thumbnails also get embedded then will they be shown as the thumbnail for the video also on peertube? Looks nice and professional.

• Peertube takes the first frame for the thumbnail or can you pick one? If didn't have to do make a special one for peertube and YouTube it would be easier.

• I think it might make sense to have the first few seconds of the video using the thumbnail.

• @gokermu wrote:
    thumbnail for the video is attached. its open for your comments.

paulleestephen_l
  • @agviegas do you want us to use that icon or the black/yellow one? Nice consistent graphic. I have two suggestions. Needs a bit of cleaning up, there's no reason for the white around the browser. Also I think we should write osarch.org somewhere always. Maybe in the same font above the "monthly meetup" text? Should be clear then that the topis is emphasized and the host in underneath. After all it's not the "IFC.js monthly meetup", it IFC.js at the osarch.org monthly meetup.

It looks like you might have already found our guidelines for fonts, they are Open Sans for all headers, and Lato for all body text

What about

This very cool project
    Presentation for OSArch
    Monthly Meetup #n

• @duncan said:
    @agviegas do you want us to use that icon or the black/yellow one? Nice consistent graphic. I have two suggestions. Needs a bit of cleaning up, there's no reason for the white around the browser. Also I think we should write osarch.org somewhere always. Maybe in the same font above the "monthly meetup" text? Should be clear then that the topis is emphasized and the host in underneath. After all it's not the "IFC.js monthly meetup", it IFC.js at the osarch.org monthly meetup.

It looks like you might have already found our guidelines for fonts, they are Open Sans for all headers, and Lato for all body text

What about

This very cool project
    Presentation for OSArch
    Monthly Meetup #n

I have updated the fonts and added OSArch.org to the thumbnail as well. But in my opinion, since this content is in our channels, people will understand that its OSarch's monthly meetup. Anyway, updated thumbnail is attached below. Open for discussion.

• Hey, sorry for the late response, I didn't see this before. I really like the final result! I will probably end up substituting the yellow icon by this one. ?

• edited January 2021

@gokermu @duncan I uploaded the discussion for #9, can you check it out if I made any mistakes and publish it? I also made a version of the presentation with the jingle, can I update the #9 presentation video or do I have to delete it to post a new version? (that would be pretty silly)
    Edit: Also I'm rendering everything in 1080p/30fps most of the source videos are lower resolution now, but I think we should try to have this as standard, details of a screencast in lower resolution are hard to see.

• Looks good. My thinking @gokermu is that it is not always clear where a video comes from, that's why the name is good.
    @agviegas are you saying that the yellow icon will be retired?

• @JanF said:
    @gokermu @duncan I uploaded the discussion for #9, can you check it out if I made any mistakes and publish it? I also made a version of the presentation with the jingle, can I update the #9 presentation video or do I have to delete it to post a new version? (that would be pretty silly)
    Edit: Also I'm rendering everything in 1080p/30fps most of the source videos are lower resolution now, but I think we should try to have this as standard, details of a screencast in lower resolution are hard to see.

@JanF thumbnail for discussion for meetup#9 is below. It is open for everyone's comments.

JesusbillMoult
  • Cool, do you plan to make a new one each month? It would be good I think.
    I'll update the video and re-upload it. Is there a way to replace an existing video without deleting its views and comments?

• @duncan said:
    @agviegas are you saying that the yellow icon will be retired?

Yes, I think that the yellow icon and the blueish look of the docs don't match toguether well; it's like two separate brands. I might just stick with the blue icon / style for everything in the future. I don't have a strong opinion about this though, as right know I'm more focused on having everything implemented. ?

• @JanF said:
    Cool, do you plan to make a new one each month? It would be good I think.
    I'll update the video and re-upload it. Is there a way to replace an existing video without deleting its views and comments?

@JanF I will do a thumbnail for each video on the channel. There is no need to reupload the video.

• @JanF I also have access to the Youtube channel. So I can change the thumbnails of the video directly from Youtube Studio.

• Ok, Id like to include the title image in the video as well instead of the screen with logo and text, but we can just do it from now on.

gokermu
  • hey everyone,
    when will the ifc.js video will be uploaded to the channel? @JanF @duncan

• edited January 2021

Do we have a recording of the second presentation @duncan ? I don't see it on Dropbox
    @gokermu do you have a thumbnail for discussion #10? (Logo, Librecad, Funding..)

• @agviegas did you have a chance to add the video to the collection @Jesusbill has on Dropbox?