Monthly Meetup #17: Saturday 7th of August @ 18:00 UTC

edited September 2021 in General

Great to host Dimitar Pouchnikov from UHStudio in our upcoming August's monthly meetup to present on the use of Blender for Architectural Concept Design.

In this meetup, @dimitar will talk about how he uses Blender in a professional capacity, as a highly useful program for exploring the early design stages of projects, and discuss what it can offer architects.

Please note that the meetup will start two hours before the usual time @ 18:00 UTC

--
Disclaimer: Each meetup will be recorded and published publicly online under a Creative Commons CC BY-SA 2.0 license to help share everything we learn and discuss with the public. If you are uncomfortable with your presence being recorded and published publicly online, you can turn off your microphone and webcam using the buttons at the middle bottom of your screen. You can still participate by typing into the chat window which can be found on the bottom left. If you want, you can also change your display name to an alias using the menu button on the bottom right, and then clicking your name at the top of the menu that appears. You will be given the option to rename your display name. Alternatively, you are free to not join the meetup, and watch the recording online later, which will be uploaded to a public Peertube channel and Youtube channel.
At the start of each meeting, we will reiterate the public nature of these meetings to allow for any privacy concerns, and give time for users to anonymize themselves as necessary, and then start the recording and begin the meeting.

paulleestephen_lLaurensJNcarlopav

Comments

• The recording is now online:

paulleeAcegokermuCyrilLaurensJNbaswein
  • Great work @JanF thanks

• edited August 2021

@JanF said:
    The recording is now online:

Amazing to do all these in Blender!
    @dimitar Any tools being developed in FC start to do something similar you are aware of ?

dimitar
  • @paullee said:
    Amazing to do all these in Blender!
    @dimitar Any tools being developed in FC start to do something similar you are aware of ?

Thanks @paullee! In freecad, you have to be a lot more methodical in your approach, ie think more specifically about the setup. I see it as a complimentary step 2 to the process, so once the initial design idea is narrowed down, how can that idea be developed further and documented. The big question for me is how can that be done without rebuilding from scratch.

paullee
  • This was a fun presentation. I was a bit nervous, as my last presentation at world blender meetup day did not go so well - I was doing a live demo in blender, and like never before blender crashed, and I had no backup presentation. Learned my lesson though to always have a presentation no matter what I am showing :). I was also testing a setup that I have but never tried to use live before - a nice camera linked to the pc, teleprompter and an ipad as a second screen so I can look directly at the camera. I wasn't sure how that one would go, and whether it would hold up. It seems like it did. So thanks again for the opportunity to present!

You may have heard it from me before but osarch is quite personal as well, as always having the idea but never having the time to develop it (in fact I've realised I had had an old dead linkedin osarch page). So I am so immensely grateful that @Moult @duncan @Jesusbill and everyone else has made this idea into reality and doing such a great job growing and maintaining a much much needed community!

Anyways, these days, some of my former colleagues at the AA are starting to give Blender a proper go! I am also teaching at a Chinese university a studio focused on Blender, and Alessandro, founder of Tissue teaches it at University of Southern Denmark, in addition to the AA Summer schools he teaches.

Does anyone else know where else Blender may be taught in architecture programmes? Besides internet exposure, it would be essential for Blender to seep into some architecture programmes worldwide. Maybe it could be nice to gather academic programmes where Blender is taught

CyrilAcepaulleeJesusbillJanFMoult
  • @dimitar said:
    Does anyone else know where else Blender may be taught in architecture programmes?

Yes. Let me talk with some people I’ll get back to you in pm.

dimitar
  • @dimitar said:
    Thanks @paullee! In freecad, you have to be a lot more methodical in your approach, ie think more specifically about the setup. I see it as a complimentary step 2 to the process, so once the initial design idea is narrowed down, how can that idea be developed further and documented. The big question for me is how can that be done without rebuilding from scratch.

Yorik express he works in both environment, probably back and forth, do the process in the environment whatever which is stronger.

I find doing a layout, reiterating design options, with ArchWall / Sketches etc. in FreeCAD (like modelling the Villa Savoye, Carpenter Centre) quite good. Can has area of room, different wall thickness etc. But have not found workflows as easy as panelisation, modifiersin Blender, unless one use Python (like the example panelisation/triangulating the (gordon) curve roof shown in FreeCAD/OSArch forum previously). Hopefully, similar tools would be developed with Python or otherwise.

Wonder if model in Blender would generate a floor plan?

Thanks.

• edited August 2021

Motivated by Dimitar's videos, trying how 'voxelisation' could be done in FreeCAD
    By use of Python script only at the moment, it seems simple :)
    FreeCAD Discussion Forum - https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=61158

Acedimitar
  • @paullee said:
    trying how 'voxelisation' could be done in FreeCAD

Cool! How about the next step of mapping some panels the the faces?

@paullee said:
    Yorik express he works in both environment, probably back and forth, do the process in the environment whatever which is stronger.
    I find doing a layout, reiterating design options, with ArchWall / Sketches etc. in FreeCAD (like modelling the Villa Savoye, Carpenter Centre) quite good. Can has area of room, different wall thickness etc. But have not found workflows as easy as panelisation, modifiers in Blender, unless one use Python (like the example panelisation/triangulating the (gordon) curve roof shown in FreeCAD/OSArch forum previously). Hopefully, similar tools would be developed with Python or otherwise.

Yes, basic modelling in FreeCAD is ok and your work on making walls and doors/windows easier to work with helps a lot! As for panelisation, Yorik's curtain wall is a good start. I've seen someone try to attempt porting Dynamo to Freecad. If that happens and exposes a lot of the low-level commands, it could be a game changer, where not evey tool will need to be made and it would be easy to make scripts. For example, panelling is typically either a surface UV even split (e.g. 10 in U and 10 in V), projection.

@paullee said:
    Wonder if model in Blender would generate a floor plan?

I think it may be possible to generate a floor plan with BlenderBIM from what I've seen around here.

paullee
  • I really enjoyed the presentation @dimitar ! You may be interested to know that IfcOpenShell (with some of the BlenderBIM Add-on) is being taught at the University of Applied Sciences and Arts Northwestern Switzerland and Civil Engineering and Construction & Robotics tracks at RWTH Aachen University and TU Eindhoven. Indeed we have gotten a few contributions from students from these programmes! This might be a conducive environment to also introduce more Blender :)

paulleedimitar
  • edited August 2021

At the recent EC3 conference I had positive responses from several people to bringing more FLOSS into AEC academia. I've kept up a dialogue with Aurélie de Boissieu who is keen to see this expand and I believe she has been looking at our project before I mentioned it at the virtual conference. I've like us to think about ways to help these different initiatives talk to each other. One issue we discussed was the possibility of some institutions cooperating on creating some open coursework, perhaps on edx platform or similar. Anything which takes us in this direction would bring great progress to adoption of FLOSS in AEC. We cannot compete with the proprietary software houses on marketing, but we can compete on generating enthusiasm from users and helping them network.

@Moult I was looking for a definitive thread collecting references to FLOSS for AECO in education and didn't find one, am I bad at searching the forum or should I start a new one and move these comments to it? It really feels like it's a topic that deserves its own thread.
    https://community.osarch.org/discussions/tagged/education

paulleedimitar
  • @dimitar said:
    Cool! How about the next step of mapping some panels the the faces?

Probably a better understanding of the workflow / add-on in Blender e.g. Panelisation / Tissue may help more development in FreeCAD :)

Cross-posting of FreeCAD Discussion Forum - https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=61158

More test :)

Only my i3 built-in graphic does not cater 1038 Links object well :D Probably Link Array which is only 1 object with many Link Elements should optimise performance.

File size is only about 4xxKB.

• Are we aiming for a resurrection of Japanese Metabolism? :)

AcedimitarpaulleeJesusbillcarlopav
  • edited August 2021

@Moult funny you should mention that! I sat on architecture crit over the weekend where one of the studios was precisely looking at 21st century metabolism processes, and their aim was to literally replace the Nakagin Capsule tower now that it's being dismantled. It turned out to be quite.
    But I think BIG's projects are the more relevant here, where it's more about form than capsulation where each unit was designed to be replacable.

@Moult @duncan It's great to hear more about all other academic efforts that we know of! Yes, definitely can't compete with the big institutions, but I remember when I was an undergraduate student learning my first 3d software, I had no idea about any of them and we learned formZ out all the things out there just because our professor was teaching it. So if there is enough enthusiasm from academic institutions and faculty it will slowly start to seep more in academia, and afterwards with students bringing theirs skills to the workplace.

• :D Not sure how many young professionals knew Nakagin Capsule tower. It was quite famous. I just had a chance to have a glance of it from outside far away.

Quite a lot to visit in Tokyo by the way.

• I've posted a follow up article based on the presentation here - https://uhstudio.com/posts/how-can-blender-be-used-for-architecture-osarch

paullee
  • edited August 2021

( deleted )

• edited August 2021

@dimitar said:
    I've posted a follow up article based on the presentation here - https://uhstudio.com/posts/how-can-blender-be-used-for-architecture-osarch

It's great pleasure to read well structured article and guides to further reading indeed ! :D

To report back, @realthunder provides a solution to boost the graphic performance to 60fps for a model with huge number of Links (more than 1 thousand experimented in my last post imitating what is demonstrated in Blender by Geometry Node and probably can be much more) ! Hope something exciting may be developed in FreeCAD Arch/BIM.

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?style=5&f=22&t=42184&start=60#p525139 :-
    "Coin3D rendering is kind of weak on hierarchies of objects. Please try my 'Daily' release with 'Preferences -> Display -> Render cache' set to 'Experimental'. I get 60+ fps on my i5 while in debug mode. "