ArchiPack and BlenderBIM

Thank you for your work. This is a new direction to adopt blender ArchiPack to solve problems of designers' working with IFC and BIM. It looks easier than using BIM tools; Revit or ArchiCAD for working in concept design. I have problems with IFC import&export windows or doors and need your help to demonstrate how users can use ArchiPack and BlenderBIM; especially windows, doors, stairs, and roof.

Best regards,
Tirat

Comments

• At this time, archipack does not handle ifc import, your objects will be blender's mesh.
    Archipack 2.x "pro" version provide an extended ifc exporter as objects like doors and windows must be processed on the fly by the exporter so geometry structure match with ifc standards, and in order to properly handle booleans as ifcOpening.
    There is also a tool available to build ifc collection structure and rename objects according with blenderbim requirements.
    More informations about exporter are available here the wiki

T_JaraskumjonkulCoen
  • Is there a place where can I see the latest development/roadmap of the integration between BlenderBIM and Archipack 2.x "pro"?

Will there also be IFC functionality in the free version of Archipack?

• edited September 2021

Free version of archipack will only get minimal required effort in order to keep it running, so there are no plan to support blenderbim at all.
    Archipack pro dev will focus on bim "editability" in next releases under blender 3.0, but at this time it was only possible to provide "for dumb" single click export without ability to edit object's property in the between.

CoenMoulttlangdanielkrajnik
  • Just bought the Archipack pro add-on. Really curious and excited to try.

• I bought Archipack a couple of weeks ago but haven't dedicated enough time to get into the workflow. spent the last 25 year with architectural CAD software so re-programming my brain to work differently will be a big ask. Coen I will be interested to read your insights, I'm sure they will help me too

Coen
  • First results after fifteen minutes of aimlessly clicking around trying functionality:

Nice to see the quantities are exported as well with Archipack, but what is the reason for NetSideArea missing? Seems to be the most useful quantity for walls.

Other than that, I am really happy with my purchase. Still feel I only have scratched the surface of the possibilities of Archipack.

• What's a good solution for cutting an opening in a cavity wall?

I modelled this cavity wall

Now I added this preset hole, btw is it not more professional to name it 'opening' ?

I added it three times, three holes for each three walls.

Then I made the three holes a parent object, so all the three holes would move over all the three walls.

When I want to resize the opening, it only resizes one opening.

Is this are a simpler less elaborate way of cutting/resizing an opening in a cavity wall?

• edited September 2021

Yes, put a single "hole" entity on the thickest wall, then go in "tools" tab and hit "auto-boolean".
    You should be able to increase hole size using
    C.object.data.archipack_hole[0].hole_margin = xxx
    in blender's python console with hole selected,so the hole will grow in order to cut all walls, but this parameter is not exposed in the ui.
    Openings are able to cut more than one wall in archipack, but at this time such things are not well supported in ifc export.

Coen
  • You could use only one opening, scale it along its local y axis and update the "Auto-Boolean" feature. Although I don't know how well it would bode with the IFC schematics, ie can a single opening dynamically void several wall spans ?

However I would rather use (abuse ?) the Finishing feature to achieve a cavity wall.
    Add a Finishing, set it to boards and its length to a very high number, and offset z by the cavity thickness.

Then a single opening is sufficient.

stephen_lCoen
  • Finishing is a good way to add "layers / bricks" with full support for openings and export. Always amazed by users creativity, will take a closer look at a way to allow such "layers" without need to actually hack boards settings.

CoenGorgious
  • @Gorgious
    @stephen_l
    I see you copy pasted the wall?, is it possible to offset a closed wall consisting of several walls?

• I'm not sure I understand your goal, could you add a diagram / example of what you're trying to do ?

• edited September 2021

@Coen Yes providing the wall's shape offset will not self cross (and even..) in Axis tab, there is an "offset" parameter and "apply offset" button to use once done. But it will not apply to many walls at once.

As far as i can tell, he use different way, wich rely to finishings instead of another walls. While offering better support for openings, 2d and possibly .ifc export will fail to represent finishings at this time.

• edited September 2021

@stephen_l

Yes. found the button, I duplicated the wall and then used the offset button. Amazing stuff :-)

I have a lot of other archipack questions, should I ask them here on on your youtube channel?
    because when I draw a wall and release the mouse. I am confused on how get drag and dropping again with the wall. Same with closing the wall. I keep hitting C. But I think I'm in the wrong context.

• @Gorgious said:
    You could use only one opening, scale it along its local y axis and update the "Auto-Boolean" feature. Although I don't know how well it would bode with the IFC schematics, ie can a single opening dynamically void several wall spans ?

I just tried your method with one Boolean. works perfectly in Blender

Unfortunately didn't work when exporting to IFC

Going to experiment some more with openings and exports to IFC, see which variant has the least amount of work and the correct export to IFC.

• At this time a single opening can't cut more than one wall on ifc side.
    You should find link to discord chanel beside download link in e-mail from blender-archipack.org, or may use support@blener-archipack.org or archipack's tread in blenderartists forum.

• @Coen said:
    because when I draw a wall and release the mouse. I am confused on how get drag and dropping again with the wall. Same with closing the wall. I keep hitting C. But I think I'm in the wrong context.

C shortcut work while draw tool is active (blue rectangle with shortcuts at bottom of screen). You'll find wall "close" parameter.
    You may restart draw tool at any time by holding ALT when pressing Wall button again (with wall selected).

• @stephen_l said:
    Free version of archipack ... Archipack pro dev will focus on ...

To avoid people getting confused it might be good to change the names of the two versions. Calling one of them free and one pro makes it sound like 'pro' is not free either as libre or gratis. Maybe 'basic' and 'pro'. Let's not obfuscate that this is libre/free software we're talking about.

• Pro version is not "free" in the sense of gratis - free as a beer -, it is free in the open-soucre sense - free as freedom-. As i pointed it out it is matter of either being sustainable or simply die as project as "contributions" are pretty close to 0 at this time.
    You are probably right, in blender's community there is expectations that everything must be "free as a beer" out of the box, as blender is, so i must care of communication aspects.

• It's not that you should care, it's just in the license. Of course you can sell the compiled version for whatever price you want, but the source code must be gratis, it's in the license as a project depending on Blender. I'm actually not saying you need to publicize that a 'pro' version is gratis, it's up to people to look up the license if they are wondering.

• @stephen_l said:
    As i pointed it out it is matter of either being sustainable or simply die as project as "contributions" are pretty close to 0 at this time.

Do you mean contributions for Archipack pro?

• Both archipack "free" and pro - donations for free version during blender 2.79 era where like 200$.
    @duncan The source code is available for free and basically shipped with the addon.

• edited September 2021

I'm pretty sure @duncan is just trying to be helpful, not complaining about archipack not being gratis.
    He's trying to promote a clearer language in this area - it's perfectly fine that there is a "lite" gratis version and "pro" paid version, when both are libre, which is what this movement is about. He's just trying to avoid the word free because of the ambiguity, that's all.

bitacovirCoenMassimo
  • Ok misunderstood the intention, i guess my poor english skills does not help.

• @JanF said:
    I'm pretty sure @duncan is just trying to be helpful, not complaining about archipack not being gratis.
    He's trying to promote a clearer language in this area - it's perfectly fine that there is a "lite" gratis version and "pro" paid version, when both are libre, which is what this movement is about. He's just trying to avoid the word free because of the ambiguity, that's all.

It's always nice when someone else explains me better than I do :-) Yes, the term 'free' contrasted with 'pro' is an ambiguity that can give the impression that 'pro' is not free or gratis or libre - when actually it is all three things.

• @duncan said:
    It's always nice when someone else explains me better than I do :-) Yes, the term 'free' contrasted with 'pro' is an ambiguity that can give the impression that 'pro' is not free or gratis or libre - when actually it is all three things.

Archipack pro is not gratis - it is 49€ + vat - , it is a "sustainable" libre project. GPL3 definition is pretty clear about this, source must be made available for free with binary (or at same price).
    Fee include updates, support and delivery, and ensure the project will survive on the long run while still having a decent development rate.
    My point of view is that every new user "contribution" help to further develop things available to every other users.

CoenDADA_universe
  • I have a question, just for better understand the license argument: if somebody buys archipack pro and modifies the source code, the modified version can be publish gratis?

• @Massimo yes, though there is no requirement that you have modified anything.

The archipack business model of only giving the source to customers was the assumed default when the GPL was written (software was something that came with your hardware) - the idea that the latest code should be publicly available on the internet at all times happened much later.

duncan
  • edited September 2021

Not only publish gratis, you can even buy it and re-sell it without altereations.

• I really like Archipack pro a lot, however, I wish there would be more in-depth tutorials. I found tutorials on stephen_l youtube channel and on the CG essentials youtube channel. Don't know if there any more resources?