BIMLivre.org - an osarch.org in portuguese!

edited December 2021 in General

Me and a couple of others just launched a kind of sister forum in portuguese to osarch.org, named https://bimlivre.org . Come have a look!
Edit 2021-12-17: added the new bimlivre tag

Tagged:
paulleebruno_perdigaovictorklixtobitacovirDarth_Blenderleandrobp

Comments

• Noted there is a English forum there, but nothing like Introduction / What is / Vision of the website in English for peoples to understand its purpose ? :)

• Hm good catch! I'll add more info there...

• Here's a discussion I had with @yorik which he said I can make public
    This discussion is maybe relevant reading for people interested in the question of how our project can grows across borders and languages. It's a tricky issue keeping a commmunity together and keeping it locally relevant.

duncan-nz
    hi yorik
    Yorik van Havre
    Hey Duncan!
    duncan-nz
    hi there, time for a chat in about an hour? I'd like to talk about the Portuegese forum.
    [...]
    Yorik van Havre
    [...]
    But yeah lets talk! I'd be interested in networking the two somehow
    duncan-nz
    Excatly, I'm wondering why we can't add it to community.osarch.org like the spanish forum.
    ... or find a good way to link them. AEChackathon also wants to find a way to link things together.
    Yorik van Havre
    Oh I hadn't seen the spanish subsection...
    In any case, many people in brazil won't feel comfortable with the english UI of osarch. That's basically the main reason why I thought best to make one from scratch
    duncan-nz
    that must be a technical problem we can solve. surely the interface can switch to the browser language?
    https://vanillaforums.com/en/features/multi-forum/
    Yorik van Havre
    Hm indeed... But I'd be more in favour of networking, or federating, things rather than unifying everything under a same banner...
    duncan-nz
    Maybe this thread is then interesting https://community.osarch.org/discussion/802/
    I think that collecting things as much as possible makes cross-pollination of ideas and projects as easy as possible. It adds a lot of friction if people have to track two seperate forums with seperate accounts.
    Most people would just never do it - even if they do speak both languages.
    Yorik van Havre
    I know... but there are also stupid things, like "osarch" would easily be misspelled by peope in brazil (architecture is arquitetura, usually abbreviated arq, when someone says "osarch", people will hear "osarq".
    I see that a lot with thr FreeCAD forum, brazilians simply don't go there
    Many people don't feel comfortable, for some reason
    duncan-nz
    Multiple landing pages and 'brading' would certainly make sense.
    Yorik van Havre
    This site is really an effort to kick things in there
    duncan-nz
    Multiple landing pages and 'brading' would certainly make sense.
    True, but a lot of work too. I'm really open to discuss you know, but I'm really trying to help a community to form and have the tning fly on its own
    duncan-nz
    If we can't organize internationally and across languages we'll never get very far. That doesn't mean one forum is the only way to achieve that - but it's certainly my goal one way or another. That requires what you're talking about - language base forums - but also heavy cross-over. A Portuegese 'version' of a page like osarch.org which links directly to an forum on community.osarch.org ought to achieve that.
    duncan-nz
    " ... but it's certainly my goal one way or another" to organize across languages.
    Yorik van Havre
    I get your point... I still think federating different efforts is of paramount importance. Sooner or later, there will be more, other movements, sites, communities popping up, which won't fit anymore under a same banner. And there is no need for it. I don't think the movement is less strong that way. We need to organize internationally yes, I agree 150%, and this is a good opportunity to think how to do it. But - also from FreeCAD experience - translating the whole osarch (I mean basically the wiki) is basically unrealistic, it will take years and will always be "less than the original". Also, it's not solely a question of language, but also a question of culture. Building culture in Portugal has almost nothing to do with building culture in Brazil. Putting both talking in the same place might actually weaken the discussion.
    To resume, I think we need to acknowledge and foment "local" movements
    What I would rather do is discuss a way to make it all a kind of global community
    "osarch alliance"? 🙂
    duncan-nz
    Good points. I'll put some more thought into it. Maybe it's time to say that OSArch is the english language version and something else is an umbrella movement "LibreAECO" "Opening BIM" "Libre BIM" ... whatever. Would need clearly defined edges and require an international process of consensus.

Some time I hope we can sponsor you and realthunder on specific projects. Is that something you would encourage? I was talking to CADgiru about it and we discussed working on corporate/community funding for specific functions.
    @yorik @theoryshaw @CadGiru @Moult

chunchkCadGiru
  • I already added/tested a little osarch side panel on https://bimlivre.org (with the pockets plugin). With a little bit of work I think it would be possible to show there, for ex, the 5 last posts from here (fetching via rss), to motivate people from one side to go the other side :)

GorgiousbrunopostlepaulleeAceduncanJesusbillvictorklixto
  • @yorik I've added the bimlivre tag to this post, please consider using this for related posts.