Hunt for the new OSArch.org logo

124»

Comments

• I feel that we didn't really take seriously the ide that we choose a design and the colorscheme would follow. We now have three design red+white, white+red & black+white.

I suggest we immediately drop the black on white. The red works so well and looks really sharp, even on a dark background. It was a good choice with that not-very-dark red.

Here is how it looks a few places:

PS. Could someone please make a red on white round version? The square one doesn't work so well on LinkedIn.

• I second dropping the black on white one.

As for the PS, the logo is round? Not following.

• @tetov it might be something with the way LinkedIn for companies works. It's given the logo a square background rather than a round one. I'm guessing that's to give the company more control. Might work differently if the background was round and not transparent - haven't got time to check.
    I think the same format would work better for the favicon as well. The white circle with a red swirl is very distinct.

• edited April 2021

You mean that you want the logo on top of a white circle and the rest transparent?
    I don’t think it will make any difference for linkedin since they seem to make transparent regions white.

• It's supposed to be a symbol of the community foundation.

MoultJesusbill
  • Is it maybe possible to have a slightly different icon for the forum and for the wiki? Like the reverse colour combination for one of them? I noticed only now that they were different before (right?), because I often have multiple tabs open (wiki + forum) and suddenly now it's a bit harder to see which tab is which. What do others think about that?

Anyway I think the logo is really awesome :)

• Be careful with the red+black one. It is a bit revolutionary style XD

Moult
  • edited April 2021

@LaurensJN said:
    What do others think about that?

I think the idea is interesting and I have the same problem. But I don't think we should open a new can of worms just yet. I suggest we choose from what we have. I have the same problem now - but there's not many of us in this world with that problem. I think building a recognizable logo is more important than this annoyance.

@bitacovir I was wondering if I was the only one who saw that. It's fixed now (even though it did look cool). I've added a file with a fixed white background to the file set.
    https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=Open-Source_Architecture_Community#Identity

• @tetov @JanF we need a round "version". I've made one but it really needs manual adjustment. You can see the problem on twitter and mastodon if you use a dark theme.

Also, we never really got to the bottom of discussing colors. My understanding of the vote we had was that it was primarily on design. I love the dusty red color and think we should stick with it. I am also firmly of the opinion that we should only use the red on a light/white background. Round / square background doesn't really seem important to me for the style of the design, but it is for some platforms because they force the logo to a round design, like twitter / mastodon.

Is this something we can agree on? Red on white / light?

• I personally liked the red on dark background / transparent, but I guess I understand if it might look a little anarchist :)

I like the favicon's transp on red.

• I agree with @Moult, my favorite is filled red circle with transparent curve. (Also that the anarchist version is nice haha!)

@duncan I’m not sure I understand what you mean. Is it that the curve isn’t centered?

Some twitter clients can also display the avis as the uploaded rectangles:

• Black on Red is not very user friendly. Terrible contrast. Such a thin line really needs all the contrast it can get. Sounds like we're not quite finished with this logo discussion. I don't think it's smart having three different ones and all this transparency which in effect means we don't really control the background color.

It sounds like we're here

• a good number of people like red curve on white/light
    • some people like red on transparent curve (which can mean red with black curve)
    • black curve on white looks good, but we need to choose

Is that our status?

• @duncan said:
    Black on Red is not very user friendly. Terrible contrast. Such a thin line really needs all the contrast it can get. Sounds like we're not quite finished with this logo discussion. I don't think it's smart having three different ones and all this transparency which in effect means we don't really control the background color.

Good point. The reason I like this version is that it looks nice as a favicon no matter browser or OS theme. Changing the favicons to have a white curve would be a good fix for contrast, keeping the background transparent would make it play nice with browser UI.

My question then is what shape the white background should take. Square or circular?

• some people like red on transparent curve (which can mean red with black curve)

See above.

I prefer we stick to the accent color used in the other variants.

• @tetov said:

My question then is what shape the white background should take. Square or circular?

Personally I think that if the platform supports it then a round background is best, but not all platforms seem to support that they do strange things to fill the transparent corners. Also I don't know if the curve would still look so good if it needs to be adjusted to fit a circular background.

Let me just throw something else out there. I assume we will also want another color in our palette to use in our design guide. If that's the case then the 'white/light' could in theory be an off white accent of some defined type. This is not a suggestion, just a thought.

• @duncan said:
    Black on Red is not very user friendly. Terrible contrast. Such a thin line really needs all the contrast it can get. Sounds like we're not quite finished with this logo discussion. I don't think it's smart having three different ones and all this transparency which in effect means we don't really control the background color.

Is that our status?

We can keep red curve on white as default and black curve on white as alternate. Red curve on transparent background does not seem advisable. If this is accepted, then it means the white background becomes standard with the only variable being whether it's a red curve or a black curve. The background should not have a border in my opinion, and we should keep both options of a square background and a round background. All this can be articulated in a style guide for the logo which can be hosted on the Wiki alongside the different approved variations to the logo.

• Ah just clarifying my opinion was about the favicon (i.e. small icon sizes) only - where I prefer the red circle with transparent curve. For larger sizes, less opinionated.

• I like red on black as well for the icon when black is the color of the surrounding space. I don't like for the icon the red circle with transparent curve because you lose the perception of the circular line, looks like the logo is only the inside. For the favicon I guess it's okay.

• edited April 2021

How do people feel about leaving things as they are for a few weeks while we see if someone from OSD want to drop by and give their input?

What we have now is great, but consistent implementation is not 100% because we actually have a whole lot of variations we didn't think about.

https://community.osarch.org/discussion/comment/7022/#Comment_7022

Moult
  • @duncan happy to wait a week or so. No rush :)

• Sadly we didn't get much interest from OSD for helping us out a bit. So I'm hoping a little group can get together and come up with a style guide.

@JanF I did some work on the logo to make it perfectly round on the outer edge. If you have no objections then I suggest we switch to it. It makes it easier to make badges and looks better on several platforms we use. Please have a look at the attached with the original and the 'rounded' version to see what you think.

• Making it circular makes sense to me :D

• I don't really see a difference so if it works better, then by all means :)

• @JanF said:
    I don't really see a difference so if it works better, then by all means :)

That's why I didn't tell you which one was round, if you can't see the difference then the discussion is much shorter. Still, please take a critical eye to the thickness and proportions of the design.

Anyone want to help me remake the different formats?

Moult
  • @duncan said:

@JanF said:
    I don't really see a difference so if it works better, then by all means :)

That's why I didn't tell you which one was round, if you can't see the difference then the discussion is much shorter. Still, please take a critical eye to the thickness and proportions of the design.

Anyone want to help me remake the different formats?

Did you manage to get the formats or should I do it?

• If you have time now, that would be great. I'm pretty busy.

• For a bit of closure, I have now updated all of the logos available here to the new circle version :) https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=Open-Source_Architecture_Community#Identity

JanFduncan
  • I really like this logo for several reasons, not the least of which is because it reminds me of the starfleet command badge

MoultJanF
  • I've updated the collected .svg and added the red curve on a white disc. Also spun off the 'Visual Identity' section to its own page https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=OSArch_style_guide