Relaunch of BBIM Expert knowledge exchange May 5th

edited April 2022 in General

Hey everyone, in the live chat some of us discussed having a regular meeting, say once a month, where expert users can share their knowledge and learn from others as well. The meeting is by no means exclusive to self proclaimed guru's 😀, so that means everyone's welcome!

I've created a doodle link where we can vote on a time that suits the most people. I've tried accommodating at least Europe and Australia (which is already difficult!), but if none of the times are suitable, please let me know and I´ll add more options.
Here's the link to the doodle: https://doodle.com/poll/ivs2q8gurx75qeiu?utm_source=poll&utm_medium=link

Meeting link: https://meet.jit.si/moderated/36ecc7f9e236d903358281dc137f7dedfe61e43cf657da8c7bc64e7ed63e7c1e

SigmaDimensionsCoenJesusbillAcepaulleeGorgiouschunchkJanFMassimoMoultand 3 others.

Comments

• edited December 2021

great initiative ✌️ turning this post into an announcement to get more views

vpajic
  • Are there going to be specific subjects to chat about?

• @Coen - I was thinking of kicking off the first meeting with demonstration of some of the data manipulation workflows I perform using BB + a demo of IFCCSV. Do you want to also show something :) ?
    @everyone else - Please feel free to comment on what you would like to see and/or volunteer to share some of your expertise

CoenAceCadGiru
  • @vpajic said:
    @Coen - Do you want to also show something :) ?

Not yet, still prefer to lurk, maybe in the future

• I would like to see ifcopenshell command line stuff in action, and specifically extracting data from Ifc. The organisation I work for is trying understand how to use BIM, and I of course am advocating for Ifc and Foss solutions.
    Can we record the session too as this will help our data and asset team understand.
    Really great initiative and thank you

• edited December 2021

BTW, I'm in AotearoaNZ, and our time zone is even more they our Aussie neighbours but I will get out of bed early for this :)

Jesusbill
  • @Nigel:

Can we record the session too as this will help our data and asset team understand.

Yes, it will be definitely recorded, cheers ✌️

Nigel
  • Ok - so the most favourable meeting time is the 14th of January, between 9.00-10.00am (CET)! Meeting link will be posted closer to the date. So far the agenda is as follows:

• Quick meet and greet for first-timers (myself included!)
    • Live-Demo of data manipulation workflows + IFC-CSV (Vukas)
    • (Optional) - Deep dive into the code behind the code behind the aforementioned workflows (vukas)
    • Anyone else interested in sharing wisdom??

Look forward to meeting some of you funky people.
    Cheers and have a great Christmas/New-Year break!

AceJanFNigeltobenzCadGiru
  • @vpajic please submit this to the events calendar so we can promote it.

• edited January 2022

Published on the events calendar for added exposure! https://osarch.org/event/blenderbim-add-on-technical-knowledge-exchange/

All events will be circulated to anyone subscribed to the OSArch mailing list!

Edit: also, might be a good idea to post a URL to the meeting at the top of this thread.

• edited January 2022

It doesn't seem like I can edit my first post to add the meeting link. @duncan or @Moult could you please add the following link:
    https://meet.jit.si/moderated/36ecc7f9e236d903358281dc137f7dedfe61e43cf657da8c7bc64e7ed63e7c1e
    ?

Cheers

• Could you add Jitsi link to the events calendar entry as well, so that the meeting is only one click away?

• Hey people, any news about the recording of this session? I came in just in time to see I am too late :D

• @thunderbolt_132 said:
    Hey people, any news about the recording of this session? I came in just in time to see I am too late :D

Unfortunately something bugged out and I have only the first 5 minutes of the session. I plan on making a small series of videos that cover what was shown in the meeting, so stay tuned for that.

thunderbolt_132Darth_Blendertlang
  • edited January 2022

Hi all,
    seeing as the first meeting was successful (minus the techical hiccups) it was agreed that we would vote on the topics for the next session.
    The topics can be voted on by following this link

If you feel a topic is missing, please let me know and I'll add it to the list. The poll expires on the 26th of January!

Also, if this regular exchange is going to survive, it needs volunteers that want to share their knowledge :) If that's you please let me know what the topic is and I'll add it to the poll.

JesusbillMassimothunderbolt_132CadGiru
  • FYI - Generating 2D Drawings inside of BB was added as a poll option. Thanks @Bedson

Acethunderbolt_132BedsonCoenDarth_Blenderduncanrfdiaz
  • Ok, so the results of the poll are clear!

1. Overwhelming favourite is "Generating 2D Drawings inside BB"
    2. Equal Favourite: "BIMTester" and "Georeferencing in BlenderBIM"

Perhaps the next session shall just be on 2D Drawings, since I think there is such huge interest for this. @Moult how is your time schedule looking 😁? Is anyone else competent in using this module in BlenderBIM?

BedsonAce
  • I kinda was before the rewrite, but since then I lived under the impression this functionality is more or less broken. That's the reason I switched to measureit arch for 2d output and also thought the idea is to move in this direction (let measureit arch habdle the 2d export)
    @Moult could you shed some light on this?

Bedson
  • From the conversations, here, it sounds like 2D generation from BB is a gnarly problem. To help incentive a solution, here's a bounty source if you'd like to help fund it.

• @vpajic I understand peoples interest in production of project documentation with BB - but if it's broken then talking about it only makes sense if it's an opportunity to work on the issues.
    Did you ever make those short videos?

• @duncan nope I never got around to recording anything, I don't think I'll really have a chance to get around to this anytime soon I'm afraid

• @vpajic said:
    @duncan nope I never got around to recording anything, I don't think I'll really have a chance to get around to this anytime soon I'm afraid

enjoy your parental leave :-)

vpajic
  • edited April 2022

Like BlenderBIM? Does it help you in your work? Do you appreciate all the work that's being put into to?

Here's your chance to give something back to the project.

After a discussion on Blender BIM how do I start there is interest from @theoryshaw & @dimitar & @Moult in restarting these 'expert exchanges'. I had a chat with Ryan ( @theoryshaw ) and we've agreed on the following

• It'd be great to do this every now and then. A low key knowledge exchange
    • Lets record and share them. At the start of each video we can have a little (text) description of what topics are discussed in the exchange
    • @gokermu any chance you could make one of your great graphics to use for advertising upcoming knowledge exchanges? We just want something the same each time where we can switch out the date and time.

What needs to happen for this to work

• We need and advertising graphic, hopefully something @gokermu would be interested in doing.
    • @theoryshaw says he's happy to make the recordings (all videos are archived by @Jesusbill so we have them in one place )
    • We need someone to promote this event on Twitter/Mastodon/LinkedIn - also again afterwards to promote the video once it's on Youtube
    • We need someone to add a 'front page' graphic to the video from @theoryshaw and upload it to Youtube

We have people to help explain all these steps so don't worry if it's not something you've tried before. If we together can do all these things we have a great way of sharing this knowledge about BlenderBIM and showing all the contributors how much we appreciate what they're doing.

theoryshawrfdiazjchkochJanFgokermuJesusbillNigel
  • edited April 2022

We're calling it

BlenderBIM roundtable

May 5th at 17:00 UTC

https://meet.jit.si/openbim
    Here's a ICS calendar invite for it.
    People are always having trouble with timezones - so check your timezone and put it in your calendar.

theoryshawrfdiazjchkochdimitar
  • @duncan said:

• We need and advertising graphic, hopefully something @gokermu would be interested in doing.

Does this work?

• @gokermu looks great! Let's add the address small at the bottom
    https://meet.jit.si/osarch
    @Moult @theoryshaw approved?

theoryshawgokermu
  • edited April 2022

@duncan said:
    @gokermu looks great! Let's add the address small at the bottom

paulleepeperiberaCadGiruAceduncanbruno_perdigao