Homemaker add-on

Comments

• Thank you Bruno, works on Win7.

brunopostleJesusbill
  • @Cladius76 Here;s a quick video, sorry no audio. Notice that these styles just have a single column size each and we don't stretch columns to fit, so each style needs an exact floor-to-floor spacing:

The pair of little round windows in the middle is a glitch, I need to investigate why this is happening.

theoryshawCladius76
  • edited November 2021

@brunopostle said:
    @Cladius76 Here;s a quick video, sorry no audio. Notice that these styles just have a single column size each and we don't stretch columns to fit, so each style needs an exact floor-to-floor spacing:

The pair of little round windows in the middle is a glitch, I need to investigate why this is happening.

Thank you so much Bruno again and again..I believe all matter is certain amount of place..You told me before but it's seems i didn't pay attention enough..
    Here is my results with vertex..Columns are not appear yet..I don't know how to achieve yet..Also I couldn't be able to make same result with Cube mesh or mesh with more than 1 floor...For example I'm using Blender GIS and GIS download buildings as primitive objects like cube mesh..If I would like to turn those objects to real buildings via Homemaker addon it will not work i believe..Did you try that ever??

• edited November 2021

@brunopostle Here is strange behaviour again ..If I do exactly like as your video, object is disappearing!!!! If there is more than 1 floor level and more than one material/style objects is always disappearing!

• @Cladius76 the columns wrap around 'outside' spaces. In the screencast the building has five cells/spaces, and I tag three of them as 'living' by placing a tiny cube named 'living' in each. The other two cells become 'outside' spaces by default (though tagging them as 'outside' works too).

This has caused some confusion, maybe the tool should default all spaces to 'living' and require 'outside' spaces be tagged?

I haven't tried with GIS buildings, but as long as they are vertically extruded plans they should work. Though floor levels need to be marked, otherwise multistorey buildings will be rendered as single storey with very high ceilings.

Cladius76
  • edited November 2021

@brunopostle said:
    @Cladius76 the columns wrap around 'outside' spaces. In the screencast the building has five cells/spaces, and I tag three of them as 'living' by placing a tiny cube named 'living' in each. The other two cells become 'outside' spaces by default (though tagging them as 'outside' works too).

This has caused some confusion, maybe the tool should default all spaces to 'living' and require 'outside' spaces be tagged?

I haven't tried with GIS buildings, but as long as they are vertically extruded plans they should work. Though floor levels need to be marked, otherwise multistorey buildings will be rendered as single storey with very high ceilings.

Nope!!Object keeps disappearing in anyway :(( I'm sure i'm doing something wrong ..!!

• @Cladius76 can you try the latest release, this might have been fixed in the last few days: https://github.com/brunopostle/homemaker-addon/releases

• edited November 2021

@brunopostle said:
    @Cladius76 can you try the latest release, this might have been fixed in the last few days: https://github.com/brunopostle/homemaker-addon/releases

Nope!!Same result as before..Object keeps disappearing!!

• @Cladius76 did you restart blender?

• edited November 2021

@brunopostle said:
    @Cladius76 did you restart blender?

Of course! I restart my laptop and blender and than i removed old version and downloaded your addon's new release ..

• @Cladius76 Then, can you upload the blend file somewhere? and I'll try and figure out what is wrong. There should also be an error message from blender.

Cladius76
  • @brunopostle Okay!I sent it to your email address already!

• @Cladius76 your building doesn't have any floors. Topologic identifies closed 'air-tight' cells to represent rooms, but your shape is open at the bottom.

Cladius76
  • edited November 2021

@brunopostle said:
    @Cladius76 your building doesn't have any floors. Topologic identifies closed 'air-tight' cells to represent rooms, but your shape is open at the bottom.

Bruno Thank you so much again and again..
    I did more carefully this time and my each floor level 3.8 m and i use loop tool for outside section, i assigned 3 different style/material to each floor level but result only 2 different style and no column.. :((

• @Cladius76 check that you have separate cells for each of the internal and external spaces; check that you have tagged only the 'living' spaces using objects named 'living'; and check that you have selected all these objects before running the Homemaker Topologise command.

Cladius76
  • edited November 2021

@brunopostle said:
    @Cladius76 check that you have separate cells for each of the internal and external spaces; check that you have tagged only the 'living' spaces using objects named 'living'; and check that you have selected all these objects before running the Homemaker Topologise command.

You were right..There was no separate cells for each of internal and external spaces and i hadn't selected all objects properly before running Homemaker addon ..I fixed after you told me and voilà!! :)))
    But there is some columns are shorter generated.. I dont know why!??? :/

brunopostle
  • edited November 2021

@brunopostle I would like to ask you a question about the roof types!!For example if I would like to make different style roof like as gable type, hip type or e.t.c. what should i do???

• @Cladius76 the 'arcade' style you have used for the ground floor doesn't have any columns defined, so it inherits the columns from the 'default' style which have a range of sizes - it tries to use the best fitting size column for the height you have given it. I'm not so happy with these posts/columns, but I needed something.

The other two styles have only one column defined each, and IFC has no concept of stretching assets to fit, so there is a gap or overlap unless you use the exact floor-to-floor heights used in the screencast.

(These styles are actually just copied from an existing building, they are to scale)

The 'rustic' columns could easily be modelled one or two courses taller or shorter, or the 'tuscan' column could be extended using a pedestal or an impost - and then Homemaker would automatically pick the best fit. But I haven't drawn these variations or added them to the styles, contributions welcome ;)

Cladius76
  • @Cladius76 said:
    @brunopostle I would like to ask you a question about the roof types!!For example if I would like to make different style roof like as gable type, hip type or e.t.c. what should i do???

You draw the roof shape as a series of planes and Homemaker will give them thickness and clip the tops of walls as necessary.

One drawback of blender (unlike Sketchup for example) is that it is really easy to create non-planar faces, the Topologic backend is very unhappy with non-planar faces.

The good news is that you can overlap planes without worrying about vertex alignment, Topologic will clean up and intersect them if they enclose 'cells'. Something like this:

topologicCladius76
  • @brunopostle have you considered/tested automatically triangulating any troublesome face behind the scenes? Would it damage the IFC translation?

• @topologic I'd like to triangulate bad faces, but render the resulting IFC elements using a special 'error' style, so the user could see where the problem is rather than getting a cryptic error message.

Is there any way to determine if opencascade/topologic is going to choke on a face beforehand? Or maybe this is better done in blender before handing the geometry off to Topologic?

• edited November 2021

@brunopostle This is most tricky part i believe! Here is my result :/ A video about this subject matter would be great..!!

• @brunopostle said:
    @topologic I'd like to triangulate bad faces, but render the resulting IFC elements using a special 'error' style, so the user could see where the problem is rather than getting a cryptic error message.

Is there any way to determine if opencascade/topologic is going to choke on a face beforehand? Or maybe this is better done in blender before handing the geometry off to Topologic?

I would test if all the points are planar before sending off to Topologic
    If Topologic simply returns a NULL, you can test for that, but if it triggers an exception that could be an issue. But it may be ok now that it uses pybind11

• edited November 2021

@topologic I can test for non-planarity, but having written code to triangulate planar faces, I'm not willing to do it for non-planar faces, or non-planar faces with holes! I think identification of non-planar faces, triangulating them, and assigning an 'error' material should all happen in blender. I'll put it in the Homemaker bug tracker, something for a rainy day.

@Cladius76 you are not creating any closed cells with the steep faces, so they are discarded. You should play with the Topologise tool (which is above Homemaker Topologise in the Object menu), to get a feel for how geometry can be used to define cells:

Cladius76
  • edited November 2021

@brunopostle
    This is a very cool add-on, congratulations and thank you.
    I am really hoping a short YouTube video could be made "my first house" or "Homemaker for Dummies" as I have had inconsistent results especially since installing the latest Windows version (Nov 2), I'm quite sure I have 'closed' geometry, but everything disappears when I click Homemaker Topologise. It is most likely the user.
    After I get some consistency, I wish to explore how I can apply my own dimensional rules to spaces and their arrangement. I wish to explore how Homemaker can create schemes for social housing and test/score the results.
    In addition, I would like to add my own walls, window, doors & other opening etc.
    Once again, I want to acknowledge the commitment of time and knowledge Bruno has put into this, like the other creators involved in OSArch I'm an in awe of you all.

• @Nigel you can email me bruno@postle.net any geometry that fails in the add-on, it is quite possible there are bugs to be fixed.

Checking and assessing models is something I had working in the old (evolutionary) Homemaker, so I know what I want to do, and the Topologic model gives us a framework, but I've barely started this aspect of the add-on.

Editing and creating styles is definitely possible, it is largely undocumented, but I'm happy to answer questions, as as often as not the answer uncovers flaws in my own understanding :)

There is the five minute presentation that I did for the Connect!2021 conference that shows a building from start to finish, but it isn't really a step by step guide:

Cladius76Ace
  • edited November 2021

@brunopostle All seems to be working after reinstalling of Blender and all

brunopostle
  • @brunopostle Thank you so much again and again..I really appreciate your help and time :)

• @Nigel said:
    @brunopostle I couldn't get anything to work successfully so I reinstalled Blender 2.93.5, Sverchok, BlenderBIM, Topologic and Homemaker. Now I cannot see Topologic or Homemaker in the Object menu. Is there a particular sequence these Addons need to be installed in? Perhaps I have missed something far more obvious:)

Topologic is embedded inside Homemaker so if you just want to use homemaker there is no need to install it separately. However, if you want to use it with Sverchok then yes. If you do, Topologic will not show in the object menu (that menu item is called Topologise not Topologjc — confusing!).

Topologic will be in the sverchok views.

The correct order of activation is:
    Sverchok
    BlenderBIM
    TopologicSverchok
    Homemaker

Cladius76
  • @brunopostle said:
    @topologic I can test for non-planarity, but having written code to triangulate planar faces, I'm not willing to do it for non-planar faces, or non-planar faces with holes! I think identification of non-planar faces, triangulating them, and assigning an 'error' material should all happen in blender. I'll put it in the Homemaker bug tracker, something for a rainy day.

@Cladius76 you are not creating any closed cells with the steep faces, so they are discarded. You should play with the Topologise tool (which is above Homemaker Topologise in the Object menu), to get a feel for how geometry can be used to define cells:

Here is my result..Object keeps disappearing :(( I'm sure doing something wrong :/