This is a dedicated thread to discuss this video:

For it you will need these resources (attached):

• Plan furnishing set
  • Tags -Circle & Square - 1_50
  • D - 800 - Sliding_

And maybe the model from part 1:
*BlenderBim - Step by Step Tutorial- Model - Part 1
Ask questions here!

CoentheoryshawbrunopostlecvillagrasaArchitektbasweinJanFhtlcnnRaphaëlVouillozGorgiousand 7 others.

Comments

• Yes! This is great!

Ace
  • List of materials

Thanks a lot for this great video again! At the end you talked about a list of materials which come with the BlenderBIM Add-on, I would liked to have this list, does somebody know which materials are included?

• Great video. I learnt how to make relationship between objects, and how you create custom object tags. I'm wondering if the custom tags could have only 2d representation and set default when loaded instead of setting it manually?
    About the grids, do you think the workflow should be that grids are created first, then objects are created and positioned relative to grids. I think that would be reasonable for construction workflow.

• @Architekt said:

List of materials

Thanks a lot for this great video again! At the end you talked about a list of materials which come with the BlenderBIM Add-on, I would liked to have this list, does somebody know which materials are included?

I included it in the description of the video but here they are aswell:
    List of default materials/ hatches loaded with BlenderBim:

blank
    diagonal1
    diagonal2
    diagonal3
    crosshatch1
    crosshatch2
    crosshatch3
    brick
    earth
    glass
    liquid
    grass
    honeycomb
    sand
    concrete

Try them out by pasting this as the material name!
    Play around with them!

CoenArchitekt
  • AceAce
    edited November 2022

@htlcnn said:
    Great video. I learnt how to make relationship between objects, and how you create custom object tags. I'm wondering if the custom tags could have only 2d representation and set default when loaded instead of setting it manually?
    About the grids, do you think the workflow should be that grids are created first, then objects are created and positioned relative to grids. I think that would be reasonable for construction workflow.

That's how the tags are supposed to work, at the moment this is a bug, you can see it reported here:
    https://github.com/IfcOpenShell/IfcOpenShell/issues/2383
    so what you've seen is my workaround to get a result for now, but it will work exactly as you described in the future!

About the grids, yes agreed @Coen uses grids a lot in that way, but for such a small project I just wanted to show modelling -> 2d drafting -> layout in that order to avoid confusion, so that's me just grouping things together for tutorials

htlcnn
  • Just adding this comment to the discussion, because I forgot how to do it. Or maybe it's done already differently in the newer version of BlenderBIM? Also could not find it in the nice youtube tutorial of @Ace
    It's how to change back the 'normal' modelling view after drawing creation.
    https://community.osarch.org/discussion/comment/11822#Comment_11822

Ace
  • When I want to change the Raster Y in Drawing Generation, it seems to do the same as Raster X, bug or my user stupidity?

• @Coen said:

When I want to change the Raster Y in Drawing Generation, it seems to do the same as Raster X, bug or my user stupidity?

It's not great how it works, , think of raster y and x as just the ratio of the camera and change the size of the camera using the Orthographic scale

Coen
  • edited November 2022

Will there eventually be a feature where there would be a hatch preview? For example in the Type manager?
    Attached are auto generated wall types because I would like to see all the different hatch types.
    Might be useful, or maybe not, I don't know

theoryshawMassimoAce
  • @Coen it would be helpful also to have the hatch name near the preview :-)

• Really great vids., thanks! Also worth mentioning that you can generate Qto info from other ifc elements, e.g floor covering etc. and auto tag these to get areas calcs. etc.

Have you found a way to re-calculate the Qto after a building element has been adjusted? The re-fresh button on the Qto panels doesn't seem to push updates to the tags created.

Ace
  • @Massimo said:
    @Coen it would be helpful also to have the hatch name near the preview :-)

A bit confused why the 3D text is so messed up and sometimes displays correctly

AceMassimo
  • @ChubbyQuark said:
    Really great vids., thanks! Also worth mentioning that you can generate Qto info from other ifc elements, e.g floor covering etc. and auto tag these to get areas calcs. etc.

Have you found a way to re-calculate the Qto after a building element has been adjusted? The re-fresh button on the Qto panels doesn't seem to push updates to the tags created.

Typically it works for me after I reactivate the view,
    , if that doesnt work, click the edit button (dont edit anything) and save again, losing the auto-ness but it works

• @Coen said:

@Massimo said:
    @Coen it would be helpful also to have the hatch name near the preview :-)

A bit confused why the 3D text is so messed up and sometimes displays correctly

SO cool!

• edited January 2023

Newbie question. Using Suzanne is there a way to clean up the linework on the generated SVG? I tried the Limited Dissolve method but it didn't help. Any tips? Thanks

• Turn Eevee on. With the camera activated Add a Grease Pencil Stroke. Then Add a LineArt Modifier on Suzanne (so that her outline appears). One the Camera settings change the Render Type to Default (so that it uses Eevee). Here's the SVG output:

Acetheoryshaw
  • IfcOpenshell triangulates quite a bit atm, another addon, besides the method you've done now, that is quite good at exporting a clean svg is this one (prj):
    https://gitlab.com/marzof/prj

theoryshawvictorklixtoBedsonDADA_universeGorgious
  • @Ace said:
    IfcOpenshell triangulates quite a bit atm, another addon, besides the method you've done now, that is quite good at exporting a clean svg is this one (prj):
    https://gitlab.com/marzof/prj

prj works so surprisingly well that if feels tragic that BlenderBIM annotations don't show up in prj svgs.
    *insert tearful emoji.

BedsonAce
  • edited January 2023

And the Measurable addon works so well that it's a shame we can't have different Camera Views (with the dimensions, notes, etc.) linked into a drawing sheet that is native in Blender. Or is it possible? Johnny Matthews (Measurable creator) says he will look into it but he does have his fingers in a lot of different pies.

Ace
  • Amazing how many options now exist for a CAD workflow in Blender, while not ticking all the boxes just yet. Hopefully, this year will see quite a few more of those boxes getting ticked.

• Im having trouble with my plans. When i view my plans in firefox or on another web browser, all of my custom styles show and it look as intended, but when i open the source file in inkscape, my style are missing and also some line are also missing. it look like it is not piking up my custom styles

Ace
  • Hey @SavyGust27 I'm not sure what is happening but I think I've done this before aswell, could you share the svg and we could check?

• the SVG file and also the IFC, just in case it is needed

• Hey @SavyGust27 Ok had the same issue with the SVG but I re exported it and it turned out fine, so something must be wrong with your SVG export, not sure what, it could be a bug, if you could record it happening and post it as an issue that would be very helpful:
    https://github.com/IfcOpenShell/IfcOpenShell/issues

In the meantime I'd recommend installing a different version of Blender and then using BlenderBim exclusively on that version with no other addons, that lets you continue working

I Didn't change your Ifc at all so that seems to be ok

Anyway here it is in Inkscape:

And here is the SVG attached

• I re instaled BlenderBim and the style now work. Im not sure if its a bug, it could be something in my end. for now, it is fixed. Thanks for the help @Ace

Ace
  • Is there an overview of available hatches with preview?

• I think the available hatches are still the same as the ones you printed out,
    Looking at the default CSS file they are still these ones:
    .material-blank { fill: white; }
    .material-diagonal1 { fill: url(#diagonal1); }
    .material-diagonal2 { fill: url(#diagonal2); }
    .material-diagonal3 { fill: url(#diagonal3); }
    .material-crosshatch1 { fill: url(#crosshatch1); }
    .material-crosshatch2 { fill: url(#crosshatch2); }
    .material-crosshatch3 { fill: url(#crosshatch3); }
    .material-brick { fill: url(#brick); }
    .material-earth { fill: url(#earth); }
    .material-glass { fill: url(#glass); }
    .material-liquid { fill: url(#liquid); }
    .material-grass { fill: url(#grass); }
    .material-honeycomb { fill: url(#honeycomb); }
    .material-sand { fill: url(#sand); }
    .material-concrete { fill: url(#concrete); stroke-width: 0.5; }
    .PredefinedType-STUD { stroke: black; stroke-width: 1; }
    .PredefinedType-WOOD { fill: url(#wood); stroke: black; stroke-width: 0.5; }
    .PredefinedType-STEEL { fill: url(#steel); stroke: black; stroke-width: 0.5; }
    .PredefinedType-CONCRETE { fill: url(#concrete); stroke: black; stroke-width: 0.5; }
    .PredefinedType-PLASTERBOARD { fill: url(#sand); stroke: black; stroke-width: 0.25; }

What in particular hatching info are you looking for @Coen ? Maybe I can help

Coen
  • Also, ran across this sweet site, a couple days ago: https://pattern.monster/

Acedimitar
  • @Ace creating a repeating pattern in inkscape would be an awesome tut? ;)

• @theoryshaw said:
    @Ace creating a repeating pattern in inkscape would be an awesome tut? ;)

Sounds like a plan, it's on the list!

Nigel