OSArch on YouTube

edited April 2021 in General

OSArch on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoP6n8DdDajAM8YYDdFpQMQ

The general discussion on getting the word out with Social Media is https://community.osarch.org/discussion/334/getting-the-message-out-social-media

The general info page on the wiki is https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=Outreach

Who want to coordinate and manage the Youtube channel? I don't know enough about how it works to be sure I'm starting correctly. So I don't want to spend more time on it. Once it's up and running I'm sure a few of us could keep it working. Here are my ideas for a basic channel:

• It should be a host of our monthly meetup. I suggest two channels, one for Monthly Meetup Presentation and one for Monthly Meetup Chat. The early videos will need cutting to fit that format.
  • It can subscribe to the channels of friends and supporters and learning resources.

That's about it really. Anything else is just a bonus we can discuss further down the road.

So if you've been wanting to contribute and wondering how - here is one way.

PS. I support us mirroring as much as possible our content on a free software platform, but I don't know how.

JesusbillJanFAce

Comments

• I would like to know If anyone want to contribute subtitle of other languange to the video, is there anyway to do it?

• Sure, send me your email address (maybe in a private message) and I'll give you manager access to try if you want. I can't help you, but I know it's possible and at least one other person has asked the same

• @Moult I assume that we intend to upload monthly meetup videos to the new channel right? For now I've added your monthly meetup playlist as a playlist on the front page. But we need a good way to point people from your channel over to OSArchs channel. Shall the two of us make a quick video just telling people about the new channel - you then then add it to that playlist? That might be the easiest. @condur (petru) says we'll need to upload them again and they can't be 'migrated' which is okay. It'll just take a while to go through them and split them into the two parts we've agreed on.

• edited December 2020

I got some help from @condur to set the page up and it looks much better now. One thing we need is someone to cut the older Monthly Meetup videos and re-release them from you youtube account. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoP6n8DdDajAM8YYDdFpQMQ
    Anyone with some video skills? I found it's very quick to do with kdenlive and @condur has said he'll donate an intro graphic.

Also we need feedback on which other channels the account should be following and what playlists would be useful. I've started one for OpenBIM for example. One with some intros to free/libre software would maybe be good?

Now that I've worked out how to have multiple users share management of the account we can really get going and spread the work. You all know how this works, lots of people doing a little bit will get the job done.

CGR
  • I can cut the videos, I'm not a big YouTube user (the only thing I can do is search and play) but I can also keep an eye on the account.

• edited December 2020

Cool @JanF you have an invitation on the way to be a manager of the channel. It's easy to upload them once they're done so if you could help with that I'd be happy to show you how. So far I've only uploaded the presentation part of the most recent Home Builder meetup. I have made one playlist for our meetup presentation and should make one more playlist for our discussion, haven't done that yet, don't see the hurry. You can fetch the session I spliced here, I can share the kdenlive project if you want: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8p4rwm734xo9hgp/OSArch_Monthly_Meetup_9_Home_Builder.mp4?dl=0 Maybe @Jesusbill you want to save that file to your set of files?
    @Cyril you also wanted that file and were going to look into setting up a peertube account?

@condur the video I made of our session is not clear enough that I can read the address of the site where we can choose a quick graphic for our videos. Can you post that for @JanF ? My thought Jan was that we just quickly choose something off the shelf for now and make our own later once our branding is clearer.

@Jesusbill can you share the video files with JanF?

JanFJesusbillCGR
  • @bitacovir if we set up a Spanish language playlist on the osarch YouTube channel would you like to fill it up and manage it?

• @duncan said:
    @bitacovir if we set up a Spanish language playlist on the osarch YouTube channel would you like to fill it up and manage it?

What do you mean by fill it up? To create content for the channel?

• @bitacovir I guess that would be up to the people who speak Spanish. There seems to be some content in Spanish so I just thought it would be good to collect it. So a playlist is easy, you just add videos from other channels and your own if you have some. Sound like something Spanish speakers would enjoy seeing?

• edited December 2020

Sorry, I don't think I can take that role. I already work in FreeCAD communiy and I am admin in FreeCAD group of Telegram. Also, there is already ArBIM channel in Youtube producing videos for Spanish people. And I work there too. That should be enough for now.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7csNZNpJYfKgQN8Mz5zmYg

Moult
  • @bitacovir said:
    ... there is already ArBIM channel in Youtube producing videos for Spanish people. ...

@bitacovir would it make sense for ArBIM and OSArch to promote each others channel? I have no idea how much the two are aligned in goals.

• @duncan said:

@bitacovir said:
    ... there is already ArBIM channel in Youtube producing videos for Spanish people. ...

@bitacovir would it make sense for ArBIM and OSArch to promote each others channel? I have no idea how much the two are aligned in goals.

@joselaks is the man in charge...

• @duncan I love the idea of an OSArch channel in Spanish! For the same reason I proposed a channel in Spanish at the time. ArBIM and OSArch goals are fully aligned.
    ArBIM was born to bring together people who want to support free BIM software in my country ("Ar" is for Argentina) but now it brings together people from other Spanish-speaking countries. Organizing meetings in Spanish allows the group to flow and grow.
    The ArBIM YouTube channel uploaded the recordings of the meetings and other content in Spanish.
    We can think about coordinating ArBIM with OSArch in Spanish, and I would even be encouraged to think about merging it.
    ArBIM has a web space (arbim.org), a YouTube channel and a WhatsApp chat (all managed by me).
    Next January 7 we have the monthly ArBIM meeting and if there is a joint work proposal we could propose it at the meeting and see what the people who participate in the space think.
    Holding a space in Spanish proved necessary.

• @condur said:
    @duncan placeit.net

Sorry I don't think adding the link worked, can you post it again?
    @Jesusbill do I find the videos somewhere?

• @JanF just sent you a message in LI with the link

JanF
  • @joselaks please submit any ArBIM events to the OSArch.org main site (see top right link to submit news/events) so that we can help advertise it on osarch.org/events :)

joselaks
  • Sorry I don't think adding the link worked, can you post it again?

The link form @condur is to https://placeit.net/video-intro-maker where you can choose an animated intro

JanF
  • @joselaks I'll start by adding your channel at the front of the recommended channels list. Maybe you would like to do the same. I see there is German content around as well ...

• I have to mention this cool new playlist I've started: Sverchok for AEC. Please let me know if you see anything else that should be there, not general stuff but obviously AEC related

bitacovirLaurensJN
  • I guess these two could be added:

LaurensJN
  • @bruno_perdigao I decided not to use ones like those. They're easy to find and long. There are a good variety of general videos. I think we should stick to ones that people can immediately recognize as being AEC related. Then they can find the others themselves. Does that make sense? Do you agree?

• @duncan I see your point. Maybe this one will fit the criteria?

• @JanF said:
    I've added a jingle and title slides, any comments?

Looks great to me!

• @JanF fantastic. Do you think we want two of those intro/outro one for presentations/QA and one for discussion? Would be nice if they are visually distinct.
    Let me know if you want to go through how to put videos on YouTube. We'll want to make a separate playlist for discussion. Did you get the next part of the video? Are you still able to arrange for all the old videos to get put up on our channel? I don't necessarily think they need to be so great. Maybe just do the 2021 video like you've shown and the old ones can stay old.

• hi @duncan . i would love to contribute to the youtube channel. i can create the thumbnails for the videos. let me know if that's ok.

Jesusbill
  • @gokermu great! I'll let you coordinate that with @JanF (in this discussion) he's making sure our own content looks good. Let me know when you're ready to get access to the channel.

• @duncan. wow! that was fast. I am ready for access. hope we can meet online soon and discuss what are the plans for channel content.