Welcome to the OSArch Community - Introduce yourself here.

15678911»

Comments

• Hello everyone
    My name is Diego and I am a architectural student at this moment from Ecuador. I always liked the idea of OS and now I want to see how it goes in the field now I am studying

brunopostleMassimoAcebruno_perdigaoNigel
  • Hi world,
    I'm new at OSarch as a former data analist I'm starting the venture of trying to build my own 3D BIM-model with the help of OS-software. I'm a midlevel Python and SQL programmer so wish me luck!
    If you guys have any tips for documentation, software and other stuff, please comment!
    I hope you guys can help me along the way and hopefully I can help in return!
    Cheers!
    Kevin

AceCyrilbdamay
  • Welcome @KevinKW you have come to the right place to embark on your mission of making a BIM model. FreeCAD and BlenderBIM are the tools. Quite different to each other IMHO, I suggest having a read on this forum and look at a few YouTube videos to see which will suit you. Then start the project, that'll generate questions. You could try parallel projects to compare!

• Hi to everyone, im a newly graduated architect in Tijuana, Mexico. BIM is a very interesting subject for architects, even though there are so many that still stick to 2D drawings. After seeing a few options for BIM i ran across BBIM wich makes me feel confident due to the good reputation Blender modeling software has had. It grabbed my attention to see how many contribute in every possible way, so what i did, is i contributed to the general fund of the BBIM addon.
    I know as a matter of fact after starting to use the Addon that it still lacks in MEP resources. I know that currently BBIM is at the starting point of this subject.
    BBIM is a great solution for many, in my case in Mexico architects do most of the work of planning and designing for construction, so over in this country we do architectural layout design and we also do all the MEP. Only in very large projects we have engineers who specialize do the MEP projects with us, so thats why i have been skeptical on using BlenderBIM do to the lack of MEP specific tools.
    I look forward to contributing more with the project.

AceMassimoCyrilbdamay
  • Hi @Omeyotzin127 Check out this video, @Ace demonstrates the MEP current state in BBIM Addon... > @Ace said:

A summary of the last Stable update from November

I suggest if you haven't already to download and install the latest build on GitHub (living on the edge :)) https://github.com/IfcOpenShell/IfcOpenShell

This is a very cool community, go for it

Omeyotzin127bdamay
  • Season's greeting to the OSArch Community, I've been meaning to create an account here for a while. I'm an AEC professional currently based in the US working alongside healthcare providers and planners to renovate and design new hospital spaces as well as their supporting infrastructure. Looking forwards to continuing my education in OpenBIM, BlenderBIM, and IfcOpenshell! Shoutout @Ace and @condur for inspiring me with their great educational content they post on youtube.

NigelMassimotheoryshawbruno_perdigaoAcebdamay
  • Hello All!
    Excited to find this community.
    I am an architect and I am launching my own architectural studio/practice in the u.s. I am exploring OS options before fully getting started and getting buried with work. There will be a steep learning curve, I am sure, but I am ready to give it my best shot.
    Glad to see there is this much interest in it though.
    Thank You all for your contribution and support!

MassimoNigeltheoryshawcarlopavbruno_perdigaoAcebdamay
  • Hello, I am an architect from Uruguay trying to learn how to model IFC and I must admit that it is a bit difficult. I try to take a step forward every day, but it is still very difficult for me to improve in any aspect. I have been using free software for some time on drawings, 3D, Spreadsheet, documents, etc; but, after all, IFC remains the most difficult activity. I hope the learning curve starts to help me as soon as possible...lol

Nigelbrunopostletheoryshawcarlopavbruno_perdigaoAcebdamay
  • Hi everyone!
    I'm Pedro, a software engineer focused on web development with a passion for Architecture.
    I have been learning about architecture, technologies, and software to build things, currently learning FreeCAD and BIM.
    Looking forward to seeing how I can contribute to this community.

Thank you for all the great work you have been doing.

theoryshawNigeleibanezdepablocarlopavbdamaybruno_perdigaoAce
  • edited January 3

My name is Benoit, i live in France.
    I'm a python/javascript/postgre developer, and i'm particularily enthousiastic on BIM, SIG and Datascience related matters.
    I've worked several years with architects and AEC engineers and mostly I want to help them get a better life working with BIM.
    I like programming, modeling and building tools that work well. Starting 2024, I intend to spend more time participating on Open source initiatives involving BIM, starting with BlenderBIM.
    Feel free to contact me for a cup of coffee and chat.

pedrojimenezpDarojatheoryshaweibanezdepabloMassimoNigelcarlopavCyrilbruno_perdigaoAce
  • Hello . I came here hoping to learn knowledge about ifc and AEC from experts. I look forward to your help

NigelcarlopavbdamayCyrilbruno_perdigaoAce
  • @Moult said:
    The Open-Source Architecture Community brings together like-minded users and developers who share a common goal: that the built environment can be designed, constructed, operated, and recycled with free software, increased transparency, and a more ethical approach.
    We encourage the community to share what they're working on, use more free software in what is currently a proprietary-dominated market, and learn more about what's out there.
    If you're new to the community, please "Say Hello!" and post an introduction telling us who you are, which part of the industry you're in, and what you're working on!
    Let's change the industry together.

Hi everyone, I'm Julien Gruber, I live in Geneva Switzerland.
    I'm engineer in Energy & building technology and doing my master thesis on the workflow BIM-BEM using BlenderBIM and Lesosai.
    I'm happy to be part of this nice community. I'm convinced the open source is one the key to simplify the world of the construction.

bdamayAceCyril
  • Hi All, I’ve interacted on this forum for quite some time but never introduced my self (sorry for my bad manners). I’m interested in connecting with the community. I really admire the plurality and interests many of you express.

My name is Thorsten, I'm an architect trained in the Netherlands and working in Italy. I’ve been interested in integrated design with structural and services engineers, so I’ve tried open BIM workflows since starting to use (fill in some proprietary) BIM tool ten years ago. A mix of slow software development, absurd workarounds and difficulty to meet openBIM standards has been frustrating. I used to have decent (fill in some proprietary) graphic suite skills but could no longer justify periodic cost whilst working independently as an architect. I was foolish enough to learn an environmental analysis tool in the years before it ended up on this list. Some regrets may be apparent.

I have little desire to continue investing time or money in tools where the interest of user and owner is soo far apart. So now I try to use Libre Office, Krita and Inkscape whenever possible. I’ve made some modest financial contributions to FOSS tools and IfcOpenShell specifically. Since it's improved GUI, I’m attempting to learn BlenderBIM addon from the examples by frontrunners. I'm starting to apply this on some tiny projects.

Also I would like to learn collaborative workflows as mentioned on this forum. I think an interesting opportunity for the community lies in teaching tools and workflows and professional certification. This could increase amount of users, create networks, improve financing development.

zoomerbdamayNigelMassimoShegsbruno_perdigaotheoryshawAceCoenCyriland 1 other.
  • Hello Everyone,
    I am an Indian architect with a total work ex of 15 years. I recently learnt of OS platforms for BIM and that brought me here. Hope to connect with all of the members here and learn more and create fantastic built environments with OS platforms. The future is Open Source Everything !

NigelAceRoelCoenbdamaytheoryshawShegsCyrilppaawweeuu
  • Hello everyone,
    I don't know how many uses open sources suite for Landscape designing. I am planing to use blander Bim for planting plan generation. Hope this community grow for greater cause.

AcebdamaytheoryshawcarlopavShegsCyrilppaawweeuu
  • Hello, all.
    I'm a software developer from Brisbane, Australia. About 15 years experience. Recently been working with Python and now investigating BlenderBIM for a small project. Will be looking for some blenderbim python API developers for some hints and tips.

theoryshawNigelMassimocarlopavbdamayAceShegsCyrilppaawweeuu
  • Hello Everyone,
    Greetings!!
    Matt Sharon has 8 years of experience specializing in historic renovations and adaptive reuse projects. Passionate about preserving the past while creating functional and beautiful spaces.

AcebdamayCyrilppaawweeuu
  • TL;DR: Ryan, enrolled in architecture, but spent most of my time at the technical fringes, mostly on computer science and discrete mathematics. I recently started a consultancy, open to work, open to working on open-source projects if I have time. Write me a message - or let me know if you want to arrange a call. ?

Hey everyone, my name is Ryan Hughes. I'm living in Copenhagen, been developing in the AECO domain for ten or so years now. I did my doctorate on Interactive Computational Geometry & Robotic Fabrication Environments for Complex Timber Structures. I'm particularly interested in manufacturing, supply-chain optimisation and assembly - looking at the application of well-established methods in CS, operations and mathemetics in the AECO industry to optimize the way we design, produce and build.

I've been developing in .NET for about 10 years, C#, C++, RhinoCommon, Grasshopper, Revit, ArchiCAD, Blender etc., cloud (GCP & IBM) for 7 and frontend (Vue & React) for 5 - there are a few public repos on my Github but most of the private work I'm doing is on a new digital fabrication and construction platform [expanding the work on the Axis parametric robot control plugin we developed a few years back]. Now I'm extending it to include traditional 3 & 5-axis CNC, Hundegger machines etc. - a one-stop shop, along with multi-stakeholder communication, file-to-factory capabilites, simulation (process (Markov chains to identify process risks eg.) and geometric (FEM during loading and unloading of elements eg.).

I started Graph Consult in November, and I'm looking for new clients who may need help either directly on projects or on building software in and around the AECO industry - but not limited there. For example, I'm particularly interested in synthetic data generation, so that we can create structured data sets that stretch the somewhat inconsistent data equity that we may have build up over the years to the point that you can use it for ML purposes.

If anyone is active on any open-source projects and needs people, get in touch. Same goes for commercial work - I'm available to build plugins, workflows, scripts, software - whatever you need. Otherwise, it's nice to join the forum, and I hope I can contribute to the discussion. ?‍♂️

elschillingNigelCyrilAcebdamaytheoryshawcarlopavDaroja
  • edited February 24

@whoisryan said:
    I started Graph Consult

Hey Ryan, Fyi, i tried your link - tells me "page not found -Framer"

• Hey @bdamay, I'm just changing it at the moment, should be ready tomorrow. :)

bdamay
  • Hello OSArch Community! I'm thrilled to join this vibrant ecosystem of open-minded architects and designers. My passion lies in leveraging open-source tools to push the boundaries of architectural creativity and sustainability. I believe in the power of collaboration and knowledge sharing to drive positive change in the industry. Looking forward to connecting with like-minded individuals and contributing to this inspiring community!

NigelelschillingbdamaycarlopavtheoryshawCyril
  • Good afternoon to everybody in osarch community,
    I'm emilio from Italy. First of all forgive me for my deprecable english.
    I'm an old civil engineer since twentyfive years drafting and computing mostly small concrete structure.
    Trying to learn something more about BIM I've found that open source community and their website explain in a more honest way the fundamentals of IFC and the use of openBIM.
    Thank you

zoomerCyrilMassimoCoenNigelGuileonitheoryshawtlang
  • edited March 20

Grazie mille @Massimo per l'invito, spero di poter partecipare. Figli e moglie permettendo.

Massimo
  • Hello everyone, my name is Vinícius, glad to be here!

theoryshawcarlopavShegsemiliotasso
  • Hello everyone,

I'm Hannes, a German civil engineer. Previously, I've been involved in computer science and programming, mainly in the web context. Alongside a small team, we operate a small engineering company specializing in the planning and supervision of infrastructure projects. This encompasses roads, sewers, water/gas pipes, district heating, electricity, and more.

With the advent of IFC4x3, BIM aspects are finally gaining traction within our industry. Currently, I'm immersing myself in the IFC Schema, IfcOpenShell, and BlenderBIM. Another area of research is automated quality control and quantity takeoff.

There are two publicly available repositories:

• ibb-woern/ibb-ifc: This repository takes the IFC file, generated by our proprietary domain-specific software, and performs schema corrections, checks, and quantity takeoff.
    • ibb-woern/isy-ifc: This is a research project that takes an XML file with sewer data and generates an IFC file from it. The primary aim is to gain a better understanding of the IFC schema and IfcOpenShell.

I'm excited about the seemingly endless possibilities that come to mind when I came across the NativeIFC concept.

Regards,
    Hannes

brunopostleNigelMassimoShegsRoelcarlopavtheoryshawemiliotasso
  • edited April 18

Hello everybody!

I'm Francisco, Brazilian architect and urban planner (São Paulo), master in projects and doctor in urban planning from UPC, Barcelona. I have been using free software since 2006 (GNULinux) and FreeCAD since 2014 in my professional activities. On the FreeCAD Forum I posted about various topics involving BIM, some of which have already been mentioned here.

At the end of 2022, I ventured into the world of development with Python and created the Movie Workbench (https://github.com/Francisco-Rosa/FreeCAD-Movie/tree/master), which I would really like to receive opinions and suggestions. I will be glad to answer any questions regarding this WB or any other matter relating to one of my posts.

Greetings,
    Francisco.

hanneswcarlopavtheoryshawbruno_perdigaopaulleeemiliotassoMassimoelschilling
  • Hi everyone
    I'm a landscape architect and work for different companies. Hoping to start one soon by myself.
    I have worked with almost any software before, from Civil, AutoCad, Vectorworks, Archicad, Maya. But I mostly enjoyed Rhino and Blender. And now, i'm exploring the possibilities of BlenderBim. I'm interested in creating a time-saving workflow and automate all the boring stuff :)
    Ecology is a big part of my practice, most important are plants. I'd like to contribute to bring plants and ecology to the BIM-World. The reason behind all this, is that most customers do not want to spend money on our environment and a landscape office is usually on a tight budget, so doing this extra work is hard. With BIM I'm hoping to speed up this process to create more value with less money. Besides that I'm doing some research projects, most of them would be best implemented in to practice with BIM.

I'd like to contribute but I'm not sure how exactly, since I can only code small stuff, but I'm far from a developer. I think the biggest contribution I could make is sharing my workflow, which I'm working on.

MassimohanneswtheoryshawwhoisryancarlopavNigelCyrilelschilling
  • Hey @Beyon and others, I’ve recently joined the Autodesk Developer Community as a member for product development purposes and I wanted to start a Twitch channel while I’m developing using their various technologies, the Revit API, Forma, ACC, APS, BIM 360, Fusion, etc. - as well as the fact it will naturally be through C# / C++ and Python / Node for interfaces with Gemini, OpenAI API, OSM etc. (kind of like a “work with me” style channel.

After the live streams, I’ll edit the videos down and add to them, then prepare sample files etc and make it available via a platform as a set of courses and individual videos. Is this something that you (and others here) would be interested in? It would go from basics, through the APIs, through specific tasks, and all the way up to advanced C# & cloud infrastructure (naturally broken down into modules and components to suit everyone’s needs).

Is this something people would be interested in? I’d love feedback and suggestions for content.

• @whoisryan
    Yes, very much! Although I have to admit, that I'm personally trying to rely only on Blender and Rhino. Mainly because I like the cause of OpenSource (yes, rhino isn't) and the active community sharing the same goal.

Nigel