Welcome to the OSArch Community - Introduce yourself here.

Comments

• Welcome to OSArch, @kk455 ! Free software in AEC is still in its fledgling state, but would love for you to try out some of the free software listed here: https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=AEC_Free_Software_directory

• edited July 2021

Hi everybody. I'm Emiliano from Brazil.
    I got here in quite a non-linear way. I've got a BSc. in Chemistry and have my MSc. in Environmental Geochemistry. I've been a Crime Scene Investigator (that's it: violence and misery on a daily basis) in my State for the last seven years and in the second half of 2020 I went back to college to study Civil Engineering.
    I've been a FOSS enthusiast for several years, although I'm just a regular user (maybe less than that) of Linux, Inkscape, Gimp and Sweethome 3D for my CSI sketches and image manipulations, but currently I'm leaning towards 3D drawings and simulations (FreeCAD and Blender) and in a near future I wish to delve into structural engineering design and simulations (Salome-Meca, OpenSees, etc).
    With all that said, I'm an absolute beginner in this community and in the AEC industry, so I'm here to learn from you from the very basics and soon I wish to be proficient enough to help the community somehow (i.e. translating to PT-BR, documenting, etc).

stephen_lCyriljchkochkrandeMoultJesusbill
  • hi @artyfex welcome. I'm sure you're proficient enough in some things to help us now! One thing we need now is help documenting things and making it easy for people to find answers. Both on the wiki and in the forum. Choose a topic ( GIMP ? ) and see what we have on the wiki - maybe there is something to contribute there already. I'm always happy to help anyone get started on the wiki. You might already want to add yourself to the supporters page: https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=OSArch_Supporters

artyfex
  • Welcome @artyfex and what a novel background! Very happy to see you here and joining us in our mission to bring a little FOSS to the currently proprietary world of AEC. The Wiki is a great place to start contributing, and documenting, reporting bugs, and creating videos really helps!

artyfex
  • Hi guys, I'm Bagus (or just call me Soegab) from Indonesia.
    I just graduated from my Architecture college, and officially unemployed for now since I need to take a school again to get my license so I can create my own architecture studio.
    My concern in architecture are the green building, with mainly approach the passive systems and study it through building simulation. The important thing is, since I don't have any money to buy or lease the most architectural application license I must search the free application. For now the only free and easy to use are OpenStudio, for simulating the building. But still, it needs Sketchup which is not free. From what I came from most people just use cracked version of any apps, or they just lucky enough to have a lot of money to buy or lease the license. I hate that crack thing so I need to push myself to go with free application, no matter what.
    So here I am, I find BlenderBIM and I think is awesome. Although, I'm very new especially drawing 3d in Blender (I pretty familiar with Sketchup 3d drawing). Also it seems Ladybug addon can support my green building goals too. I hope I can learn much in this forum, maybe there is a complete tutorial here about how to draw a house from a scratch with BlenderBIM? Since I can't find any easy to learn tutorial on youtube :)
    Last but not least, after I mastering BlenderBIM enough I will share my skill especially to my community in hoping there will be a lot of people willing for using free application.
    That's all I can say, sorry for my bad english. Thank you :)

stephen_lCyrilartyfexJesusbillAce
  • G'day @Soegab and welcome to OSArch! Unfortunately authoring in the BlenderBIM Add-on is still a work in progress, and the Ladybug add-on for Blender doesn't yet support energy modeling. Perhaps you can help us make it possible? You're right - free versions are definitely preferable to cracked versions.

• @Soegab the closest I can suggest to tutorials on drawing a house from scratch is to look at the page AEC Workflow Examples and several of them have some good threads on FreeCAD describing the process. The FreeCAD people are very helpful if you ask nicely. If you hit some issues specific to FreeCAD ask there, for anything else feel free to start a new thread on this osarch forum. If you'd like to start documenting what you're learning I'd love to help you make a page on the wiki in your preferred language.

• Hello all,
    My name is Steven, I'm a structural modeler at an engineering office in Belgium. I have been modeling structures and detailing reinforced concrete with Nemetchek Allplan for the past eight years on a wide range of projects.
    In the past three years I've learned myself a bit of python, for now I use my python skills to create little tools on the Allplan API.
    Currently I'm also trying to learn Blender with an eye on the future. I will use Blender first to correct some minor things in my exported IFC files, but in time I hope to create complete models in Blender for small scale facility management.

Jesusbillbasweinstephen_lduncan
  • Welcome @Mainx ! Glad to have you join and your workflow of slowly integrating FOSS sounds like a very sensible one that many of us share!

• Hello everyone,
    I think a proper introduction is in order, since my feet are already wet :)
    I'm Nathan, a civil / urban engineer working in a small engineering firm in France.
    At my current position I'm part time working on roads system and urban public utilities/networks project management, from the early diagnosis to site supervision, establishing plans, cubatures, estimates, administrative tasks, etc. I also do some environmental small scale projects such as storm water and waste water management and treatment.
    The other part of my work days is spent modeling buildings and facilities from point clouds, which we get from a 3D Laser Scanner station. I use CloudCompare to tweak and tidy the point clouds before starting working on it. I'm using Blender for the whole modeling workflow, 3D export and visualisation, and the big A for delivering the 2D drawings but I'm hoping to do that part in Blender too very soon :) Blender's default dxf exporter is pretty lackluster so I developed (and still am developing) my own, based on ezdxf library : https://github.com/Gorgious56/blender_ezdxf_exporter
    I'm using the Point Cloud Visualizer to navigate around the Point Cloud and Archipack to model the facilities. From time to time, I use BlenderGIS when I need to deliver a plan visualisation.

In my spare time I like to ...model medieval buildings in Blender ! I'm interested in procedural workflows, mainly materials for now but I keep a keen eye on Geometry nodes. I like stacking modifiers too. I also developed a Maze Generator add-on in Blender that started as an Animation Nodes monster node tree. I started learning python and C# developing games with pygame and Unity.

My personal goals in the nearish future :

• Achieve a start-to-finish workflow using FOSS software (or at least avoid predatory proprietary ones)
    • Hone and share my modeling, programming (python, maybe c/c++ one day ?) and BIM skills in this great project
    • Achieve inter-operability with Architects partners and clients

And later in the adventure :

• Push BIM in public works projects
    • Create videogame-like experiences using Virtual Reality / Enhanced Reality

And that's pretty much it regarding the arch side of things ! :)
    Cheers

AcebrunopostleMassimoduncanstephen_lJesusbillMoultOpusCyrilCoenand 4 others.
  • Welcome @Gorgious and a huge thank you already to the swarm of incoming commits, bug responses, and PRs submitted to IfcOpenShell + the BlenderBIM Add-on :)

• Hey all!
    Just a small introduction and then I'll get out of everybody´s way ;) - My name is Vukas Pajic and I´m originally from Melbourne, Australia. I spent the first 6 or so years of my career working as a structural engineer in Australia and New Zealand, after which i started to make a transition to project-management and BIM implementation. Fast forward another 5 years to today where I live in Vienna, Austria and I work for a large construction company developing new BIM use-cases and implementing cloud ERP software.

Rather shamefully, I´ve been lurking in the shadows of these forums for quite a while now, never actually posting anything or contributing any ideas. I finally decided to change this today and therefore present myself for duty immediately! ;)

AceGorgiouscarlopavJesusbillstephen_ljchkochMoultbaswein
  • Hiya!
    I've been in and out of the AEC industry and have always loved building, interested more in the long processes of construction and operation rather than idealized moment of turnkey completion. I received an MArch but went into technology and became a data scientist and worked in computer vision for a few years. I recently worked for a prefab builder and helped strategize their onsite assembly. I'm very interested in building around some of the deeper relationships in the IFC standard and exploring the movement-oriented abilities of BlenderBIM.

brunopostleAcevpajicstephen_ljchkochcarlopavMoultJesusbillbaswein
  • Welcome to OSArch @vpajic and @abcanthur - would be great to join the party! Here's a handy guide on some potential avenues of getting started :) https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=How_to_contribute_to_OSArch

• My name is Coen, I have a building technology/construction education. I have started my professional career as a Revit user at a contractor/construction company. Then I discovered RevitPythonShell to automate tasks in Revit. (seems to be dead now unfortunately). I never touched programming before. I made a basic BIM IDM (Checks Dutch BIM standards for IFC) in Revit as my first project, I put it on Github and to my great surprise people started using it . I never promoted it or anything. At the time I got really bored with modelling and got sucked more into programming. The data-architect of this company saw it and took me under my wing. The company needed a hour registration application. He opened a complete new world for me of data modelling, web-development, web services etc. I learned a lot in that year. With a hour-registration application as a result written in Python/Django.

Unfortunately this man left the company and the company didn't know what to do with me. Because now I was the only programmer/hobbyist working at a contractor. So I started looking for another job this year. I now work as DevOps engineer at a software company which sells administrative software to the construction industry. ( including a hour registration app). My task is to automate stuff using Powershell and I'm following a lot of courses for the Azure Cloud Services. Everything is Microsoft based in this company.

I really started to miss the BIM/construction side of things and then I discovered BlenderBIM and Archipack PRO. I learned that Blender had a Python API. Then I saw the light. the possibilities are endless compared to Revit in Blender. For example: This construction company I worked for had about five very practical Revit users which modeled a lot of historic buildings in Revit (including brick detailing like rowlocks). I saw how much work they put in one Revit family just to make a rowlock family no is ever gonna care about. I thought if you know Python it's going to make everyone's life easier. I hope BlenderBIM matures quickly to be confidently used in production one day. I hope to contribute to this by mentioning bugs and feature requests. And exploring all the possibilities of various Blender add-ons in combination with BlenderBIM.

brunopostlevpajicCyrilGorgiousMassimomagicalcloud_75JesusbillbasweinMoulttlang
  • @Coen Another of the RPS folk coming here. Great! Are you this Coen ? If so we have already crossed paths.
    Welcome!

• @Cyril said:
    @Coen Another of the RPS folk coming here. Great! Are you this Coen ? If so we have already crossed paths.
    Welcome!

Yes, that's me. :-). Why use RevitPythonShell now while there is BlenderBIM? :-P

• Hi Everyone,
    I'm a Mechanical and Piping designer for nearly 15 years and I used Autocad 2D, AECOSim Microstation and finally Revit for bulding a wide kind of projects in the field of habitation, tertiary and industry.
    Revit was for me a revolution and a revelation and I maybe it contributes to spread the BIM in the world. But now it's time to have some open source software who can replace Revit. So I want to contribute to this, but maybe in an other way of adding some plugins on existing softwares, but by creating a strong code core for a new BIM parametric software.
    For sure this task will be huge so I will not be alone in this adventure :-)

vpajicCyrilJesusbillbasweinCadGiruMoultduncan
  • edited October 2021

Hey everyone,
    My name is Hammad, I'm an architect and Masters Building Science student. My research is about smart/autonomous buildings, visual occupancy sensing and related occupant privacy implications, due to which which I'm always mentally oscillating between 'what useful technology' and 'what terrifying implications' haha.
    I'm really interested in how the stakeholder/management/data ownership side of smart buildings works too, so hit me up if you're working on that field!
    I'm self taught in python (focusing these days on computer vision), and would also love to know more about more interesting applications in AEC.

I'm open to contributing in any way I can, and looking forward to spending time here :)

JesusbillMoultbasweinduncan
  • Hey everyone and welcome @Coen @Yoann and @hammadhk ! It's really exciting to see increasing powerusers of free software like Blender and FreeCAD.

@hammadhk you might be interested in the owner history aspect of IFC. IFC keeps track of the ownership and changes of elements, which reflect the liability of the consultant who created them. In terms of smart buildings, there is also a couple of ongoing initiatives with implementations of procedures and events https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title=IFC_building_operations_concepts - and an ongoing initiative to integrate IFC, the successor to COBie (for FM) with Brickschema.

Coen
  • edited November 2021

Hello Everyone,
    I am new to this community. Thanks @Moult for referring me to this network. Since this is a community focused on open innovation, I would like to start by asking for your advice on the best open web systems that we can use for two of our communities.
    AEC Hackathons - We have organized 46 AEC Hackathons since 2013 in 30 cities in 10 countries. Our AEC Hackathons are volunteer-organized, technology neutral, non-profit and very low costs (we use ticket and sponsorship revenues to cover venue, food and small prize costs). Here are over 200 videos from our past AEC Hackathons.
    We have used Slack, Zoom and Teams for our events but want to add a persistent online community. I saw links to our AEC Hackathon at Bloxub in this forum as well as links to our AEC Hackathon at www.bloxhub.org in Copenhagen on October 29th-31st - all presentations from that event are in this Youtube video

I also want to move my Mass Timber Linkedin group with 2,900 members to an open online community. I organized an open Online Mass Timber event back in March with 37 speakers and shared all 33 video presentations from that event on Youtube. I am working with multiple wood and mass timber organizations in Europe and the US to help connect the industry - here is a post on linkedin with more info on that effort.

We are planning more AEC Hackathon and Mass Timber events in Europe, the US and Asia and want to help connect and grow our communities using open web systems. All advice appreciated. My expertise is mass timber digital fabrication and our small business in Oregon is extremely busy and we are building a new factory but I want to also help grow and connect the AEC innovation networks.

Here is my bio on Linkedin. I share a lot of content on linkedin and have for many years but I want this content to be public and searchable and not locked behind linked or any other walled garden.

CyrilbasweinMoultxavitronjchkochGorgious
  • @ideabuilder welcome to the OSArch community! What do you think about helping organise a Free and Open Source AEC Hackathon? People could build stuff only using open source software, and the results will also be open source.

Massimojchkoch
  • Hi people,
    I am a mechanical engineer with some experience in HVAC and Plumbing design, with a strong interest for anything BIM related. I am currently working as a BIM Application Engineer, implementing Autodesk solutions and studying BIM workflows. I also have a strong interest (although not a strong background) in computation, mostly with visual programming and a little bit of python. I recently found out about the openBIM movement and got very excited because it seems that it could speed up the general adoption of BIM as a methodology. I am hoping my knowledge of proprietary software and industry could help with the ideas regarding good workflows that could be implemented, and I am hoping to develop my python skills to help with the actual implementation of those ideas (mostly MEP side of things and general ISO 19650 implementation)

I am new to blender so my idea is to try and learn the portion of the software that applies to architecture, and then dive a bit more into the coding part of and try to understand what is going on under the hood. I am always open for suggestions how to structure my learning in the best way, so feel free to try and help me with useful tips, and even better, actual project ideas if you think of any.

brunopostleJesusbillGorgiousMoult
  • @thunderbolt_132 Welcome !
    If you want to talk about HVAC let me know. Until we are able to perform all our workflows using FOSS tools, you might be interested by my FOSS addon pyRevitMEP.

• I actually did use a bit it after seeing it mention in one of Ehsan's recommendations (maybe with TheRevitKid) and it really has some interesting features, like level change, but I did not use it extensively. Thanks for welcoming me, feels good to be good in such a company.

If you need any help with the development of the add-on let me know, I would be more than happy to help. Probably wouldn't be too helpful with the coding in the beginning since I am not experienced, but maybe I could provide some ideas regarding MEP workflows.

duncan
  • Hi All, I am here to learn/test Bbim and ifcopenshell workflows and information exchange. Main focus is the Python CLI to check model quality, georeferencing, clash detection and update models accordingly.

CyrilMoultduncanJesusbill
  • Hi @InformationWorker , you can find useful videos here:

• Thanks @Massimo :-) I saw your post on the first 4 videos (after I got these first bits myself). Now the next steps are to get the different bits of ifcopenshell to work together with the "overall" environment. I am able to run the IFC Class Sets, BIMtester, IFCdebug, IFC Diff, IFC Patch. I am still trying to figure out stuff related to "basepoint/georeferencing" and Classifications Property Sets.

Coen
  • Welcome @thunderbolt_132 and @InformationWorker !

@thunderbolt_132 I know nothing about MEP so any help in that area would be greatly appreciated!

@InformationWorker georeferencing is a little area of BIM that seems daunting at the beginning until you've done it on a project :) Feel free to ask any questions either here or on the live chat if you need any clarification!

InformationWorker
  • @Moult said:
    Welcome @thunderbolt_132 and @InformationWorker !

@thunderbolt_132 I know nothing about MEP so any help in that area would be greatly appreciated!

@InformationWorker georeferencing is a little area of BIM that seems daunting at the beginning until you've done it on a project :) Feel free to ask any questions either here or on the live chat if you need any clarification!

Probably a live chat would be the best for that, but here is a start. I have 2 files file A from Revit, and file B from ProVI. If I load A its way up in the air and I need to bring it back to earth. If I load B then A all is well. So... that tells me there is something in file A that is not quite ok and if I were to send it to a client they could reject it flat out as it does not show up where it is supposed to. I have tried several thing and gone through a ton of resources but have not understood it lol